View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Penguin VS Other Shops
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:36 am 
Emperor Penguin

What brings you to Penguin over another shop?

I still like this shop the best overall for the prices and forums, as well as all the other stuff they add. They even used a few of my ideas like the "random trick generator" idea I requested now known as the "trick roulette". I also requested that there be a Penguin Magazine, and offered be a contributor providing articles and product reviews, with the possible perks being free effects to review or discounts, and printed copies as well as digital copies. It was promised several times that it would be coming and never did.

Would of been a great addition to the site. It was also said that there would be PO forums for every item on the site but I don't think that has happened yet. At least with the SOC you knew that you would not be getting one, now I am not sure if you can tell before ordering. But this site has a lot of cool things that contribute to my coming back. A lot of shops don't even have forums, just bland stores. This site always adds new features and stuff to keep you busy. I just found the "Act Builder" which is kind of cool, great marker sounds lol. One bummer is the old discount code for 10% no longer exists, which made me order a lot more items because of it.

The only thing that appeals to me with other shops, which I mentioned many times before in the past; is that they offer up to 35% discounts weekly. But Penguin's prices are lower usually anyway, and offer free fast shipping. So that kinda of cancels those specials out unless you plan on spending huge amounts for a bigger discount. I also love these live lectures. Just a few quirks like freezes and having to refresh the the video, and the lighting is too dark. But I love the lecture format. Also the fact that I can download it later if I miss it. It was also a lot of fun with all the contests that I was part of with Frijid, and B_Magic giving away $100 with is "brainbusters" or whatever they were called. That is when I saw 700 members online lol.

Kinda sucks that all of that died down. Also won one of Alvo's pangram contests and made the cover of his trick "Best Of Friends" which was cool. If only I had my high resolution camera back then the pic would not be so tiny. But at least it is there. Was good times, not sure the forums will ever reach that level of success again but you never know.

Last edited by sirbrad on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Penguin VS Other Shops
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:54 am 
Penguin

I go to different vendors for different products. Sometimes Penguin just doesn't have what I am looking for. Also, I like to support my local brick and morter magic store, so any of the more common stuff like IT, magician's wax, and cards I tend to get from them to help ensure they stay in business. The main thing that keeps me coming back to Penguin is the forum.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:20 pm 
Team Penguin

Thanks guys. We really appreciate all your support.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:37 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I am about to order the complete set of David Regal's Premise Power & Participation DVDS here, and Visible Ambitious by Astor, which have been on my wishlist for awhile. It is has been awhile since I ordered any magic as I still have not gotten to hundreds of DVDS and books I still have waiting. But every once in awhile I get the ordering bug. I can never have enough magic, even if I never get time to see most it. But I plan on catching up with it all in the next year. If only I could stop ordering for a few years. But that is not very fun. I love an unlimited supply of reference material at least. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:28 pm 
born to perform.

I remember getting my first trick ever at Penguin which was The Ultimate Ace Assembly instant download. Ever since then I have always been ordering from Penguin. Back in 2002 till probably around 2006, 2007 I think they had the best instant downloads ever, and thats what really got me hooked. I always enjoy watching Oz Pearlman perform the tricks back in the day. They do have a lot of products which could be a bit overwelming, almost a new product every day, but its some great stuff. I also love the shipping, its the fastest shipping ever! 9 times out of 10 it gets here in 2 days, even with the free shipping, and I live all the way in NJ. Ofcourse I shop just about everywhere else as well, but I always come back to Penguin, its what really got me going.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 am 
Emperor Penguin

I bought my first "online trick" from here which was cartoon 2.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:58 am 
born to perform.

Reasons for me:

-The ONLY company to offer FED Ex shipping. I'm in Australia so if i need something i can get it delivered to me within a 1 week. Other places take 3 weeks, sometimes even with express.

- All the freebies I've gotten over the years.

- Huge selections and good prices.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:24 am 
born to perform.

Ditto to what Keepit said.

It never fails to amaze me how quick the shipping (fedex) is to here. I live in a rural area in australia, and it still gets here within the week. The quickest has been 4 days. Unreal.

Best prices without a doubt.

Matt, the online helper is great to get quick answers on the spot.

freebies and the discount (when it was running) had been great.

And now, the online lectures has been great so far.

If only you can get flash paper as well....:(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:45 am 
Emperor Penguin

I was also amazed at how fast I receive my items. I select free shipping as I usually order in bulk and orders in the hundreds of dollars. I live across the country in PA and sometimes First class shows up in 2 days, as well as Priority. That is one heck of a deal and FAST for free shipping! On more expensive orders I just overnight them.

Last edited by sirbrad on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:21 am 
born to perform.

My first purchase included 3D Multiplying Rabbits. Delirium and Jokers Wild were my first Instant Downloads. I choose Penguin because of selection, price, fast shipping, quality customer service and the forums including the PO forum. I would add "...And NO sales tax" and "Penguin discount" but they moved from Vegos to Cahleefohnya and also discontinued the discount.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:50 am 
born to perform.

Why aren't they're anymore contests? Its been a long time since we've had any video contests!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:53 am 
Emperor Penguin

Mostly due to lack of interest and participants. That is why Frijid quit having them also as the participation level started to dwindle after most of the members left. Or I should say grew up, graduated Highschool/College, got cars, and got married. Their magic days are over. There is no hope for them now. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:09 am 
born to perform.

sirbrad wrote:
Mostly due to lack of interest and participants. That is why Frijid quit having them also as the participation level started to dwindle after most of the members left. Or I should say grew up, graduated Highschool/College, got cars, and got married. Their magic days are over. There is no hope for them now. :lol:

Lol well i grew up. I finished university (twice). And i'm still doing magic and i'm up for a competition. I might even host one if there's more than 10 people willing to enter. Prizes will be secondhand stuff i no longer use and shipped out with my own money.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:16 pm 
born to perform.

keepitbottled wrote:
sirbrad wrote:

Lol well i grew up. I finished university (twice). And i'm still doing magic and i'm up for a competition. I might even host one if there's more than 10 people willing to enter. Prizes will be secondhand stuff i no longer use and shipped out with my own money.

I'm up for participating in a competition!