View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Incorporating magic into cocktail-making.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm 
Penguin

I work in a bar where I perform magic, but I find I'm very limited during busy hours. When it's slow, the tin and olive routine, sponge rabbits, cards and dlites are fine, but as the rule goes, magic isn't supposed to be on the expense of service, so I want to work in some fast, visual magic thats directly related to the cocktail-production.

Too long, didnt read? - Do you have any suggestions for tricks you can do during the process of making cocktails? (from when they order, you make the drink, garnish and take payment)

Idea's I've come up with so far;

- Airborne (floating glass while pouring)
- David Stone's Bottle production "splash bottle" (on a vodka bottle allready installed with airborne perhaps?)
- Wine glass production "Liqui-stop" (just having a preloaded glass of red wine handy)
- Vanishing and reproducing sugar with a TT
- Performing quick coin magic while giving back change
- Hummer card on their credit card (if you have time and you feel the customer is comfortable ofc. Or perhaps on a lime?)
- Stealth pen on bills
- Glass Mirage (look it up, hard to explain, trick with beer bottles)

Cheers, Ollie from Norway :)

Post subject: Re: Incorporating magic into cocktail-making.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:46 pm 
Penguin

I'm not sure people are really going to be paying attention when it's that busy and, I'm assuming, noisy. However, I think there are ways for you to perform without magic. Bottle flips and the like, flourishes. I think this would be better for your audience, but that is just my opinion.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:59 pm 
Penguin

ArchAngel_G wrote:
I'm not sure people are really going to be paying attention when it's that busy and, I'm assuming, noisy. However, I think there are ways for you to perform without magic. Bottle flips and the like, flourishes. I think this would be better for your audience, but that is just my opinion.

-ArchAngel_G

I assume you're reffering to "flairing"? While I personally find it highly entertaining, it's a whole other branch unrelated to magic. I want to deliver something unique, if you enjoy flairing you could just go to the nearest t.g.i. fridays. It would be cool to find some way to combine flairing and magic though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:00 pm 
Penguin

Ollie,

I don't have any ideas for quick effects ones while mixing / making drinks but you might try JIGGERNAUT for the times when you have a few minutes to entertain.

Another thing to try to find is Un-Corked but there are not any available unless you can get someone to sell you theirs. James Riser only made 21 sets and says no more will be made. It is a great three shot glass routine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWm-W6-Uy0Y

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:19 pm 
Penguin

I just had a thought, how about Transmental from Viking Magic. It is very durable and you need the spectator to make the choice while you are not looking. So give it to them with the challenge that if you don't get the correct answer their drink is free. http://www.vikingmagic.com/?nd=full&key=893

Twist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:20 pm 
Penguin

Ojayruud wrote:
ArchAngel_G wrote:

-ArchAngel_G

I assume you're reffering to "flairing"? While I personally find it highly entertaining, it's a whole other branch unrelated to magic. I want to deliver something unique, if you enjoy flairing you could just go to the nearest t.g.i. fridays. It would be cool to find some way to combine flairing and magic though.

You are right, flairing isn't related to magic. But no more than say flourishes with cards is connected to magic. The only connection to card flourishes is card magic. But there are ways to connect the bottles with magic.

Appearing Wine Bottle
Cap Through Bottle
Coin Through Bottle

Whether you should take this advice really depends on your style and character. If you are not a very flashy person with your magic, it may make you seem more like an awesome bartender than a magician who's good with his hands.

Bottom line, imo, is there is a time and place for everything. Me personally, I wouldn't want to do any kind of magic if I was super busy trying to get actual work done. I demand an audiences full attention, not a glance. If I can't get them invested in what I am showing them then I think my magic is no more powerful than an optical illusion like a self pouring pop can. Hope I was helpful.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am 
Penguin

twist: That was an inspiring shot-glass routine! I'll see if I can find it somewhere, if not try to make my own.

Angel: I agree regarding the flourishes, and I do perform some basic flair while working but haven't gotten the time to master both arts.
I find myself focusing more on one, rather than being the jack of all trades.

Cap and coin penetrations should be excellent additions!

When I'm truly slammed, I mainly think about getting the drinks out asap, the trickery is meant for slow to medium paced hours of course.

The best case scenario you have the audiences undivided attention for a longer period of time, and the longer you have them the more powerful magic you will be able to do, but I find we don't allways have this luxury. Sometimes it's good to have something that yields instant gratification too, something fast and visual like a coin bite.

I guess the conclusion is to have tricks adaptable to every situation and scenario.

Thanks for the input and feedback to both of you!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:02 am 
Penguin

Maybe some flash paper stunts, if your manager will allow it.