View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Full deck Equivocation, sources?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:07 am 
Penguin

Hey there people,

So I made this effect where the spectator selects a blind card from a deck, then selects a card from an invisible deck and the 2 cards match and the response to it was very strong. What I noticed however that my full deck equivoc wasn't very fluent and also had to much verbal repetition.
I used the version of Joshua Quinn from Paralies, but because I had to translate it to Dutch I noticed not everything was usable.

So my question, is there any other good material for full deck equivocation? I heard 'The Berglass Effect' had something but as it's sold out or on e-bay for 1 trillion euro's, I need to look somewhere else.
I don't just need methods, any indepth explanation are welcome as well.

Post subject: Re: Full deck Equivocation, sources?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 am 
Penguin

I have one that is cheeky ;)

A few people on here have read it!

It is called Trust your instincts.

Mine is as follows.

A female and male are seated, the female is asked not to say anything out loud (AT ALL) she is asked to imagine two piles of cards, a red pile and black pile then imagine picking a pile up. (she never gestures, moves or says anything).

She is then asked to imagine picking up the clubs, hearts, spades or diamonds (again she never moves, gestures or says anything).

She can have pictures or numbers. (pictures being jack, queen or king numbers being ace through to ten) (again never gestures, blah blah)

She is then told to imagine sending that card to the male.

He is given a deck of cards, (after they are seen to be regular) and is asked to deal them face down until he is gets a strong urge to stop.

He does and stops wherever he likes. The performer NEVER touches the card he has stopped on.

he asks the lady what card she built in her mind (say she says the jack of hearts) he turns over the card he stopped on and its the jack of hearts!!!!

She never writes the card down, she never touches the cards, she doesnt ever say anything until the participant has hold of one card. None of them have ever met before and best of all its 100000000% guaranteed to work every time.

Kenton Knepper has something called "Truly invisible" in "Wonder words 2" (I believe) and Derren Brown released an effect called "invisible deal" in the "Devils picture book".

These are great resources for an equivoque with an invisible deck.

Trust your instincts can be found in my book a symphony of silence :)

If you need anything more like linguistic effects p.m me!

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:24 pm 
Penguin

i've read about derren brown's 'invisible deal' and someone performed it for me. I found it fantastic but after the explanation i couldn't see how it would work 100% of the time (still can't)

On wizard product review they referred to MULTIPLICITY from Max Maven. Do you (or anyone else) know this product? It does talk about equivoc and multiple outs but I wonder if it brings real new stuff or not..

Last edited by Phrenic on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:43 am 
born to perform.

Phrenic wrote:
i've read about derren brown's 'invisible deal' and someone performed it for me. I found it fantastic but after the explanation i couldn't see how it would work 100% of the time (still can't)

On wizard product review they revered to MULTIPLICITY from Max Maven. Do you (or anyone else) know this product? It does talk about equivoc and multiple outs but I wonder if it brings real new stuff or not..

its not 100%

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:16 am 
Penguin

Not 100%.... really don't know what you mean with that? You mean it's a bad presented product or that it doesn't bring anyting new?

I tried full deck equivoque a few times on friends now (which can give me feedback afterwards) and said I should distance the choice from my patter. My patter was:
"O.K. we're going to talk cards out, red or black, which do you choose?" (i gave more patter but this was the part that 'mattered')
And although my friends knew what to do they had a great urge to ask "what do you mean 'out'? You mean out of the equation or out of the deck for usage?"

How do you guys/gals deal with those type of questions?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:24 am 
born to perform.

Phrenic wrote:
Not 100%.... really don't know what you mean with that? You mean it's a bad presented product or that it doesn't bring anyting new?

I tried full deck equivoque a few times on friends now (which can give me feedback afterwards) and said I should distance the choice from my patter. My patter was:
"O.K. we're going to talk cards out, red or black, which do you choose?" (i gave more patter but this was the part that 'mattered')
And although my friends knew what to do they had a great urge to ask "what do you mean 'out'? You mean out of the equation or out of the deck for usage?"

How do you guys/gals deal with those type of questions?

no i was saying derren browns effect you mentioned wasnt 100%

meaning it wont work every single time you do it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:21 am 
Penguin

jonathan_thegreat wrote:
no i was saying derren browns effect you mentioned wasnt 100%

meaning it wont work every single time you do it.

Ah, yes, now i understand. Yeah, i figured that, although it is an amazing tool to play with.
I'm thinking of combining it with multiple outs, would make it a nice part of a routine and gives me the option of practise.

btw, I reversed my effect, to try it out. It's similar to Peter Turner's effect with the female selecting from an invisible deck and the guy afterwards selecting a card from a real deck.
I really enjoyed building up after the real card was selected. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:23 pm 
Penguin

The Derren routine is almost fail safe. I never had any trouble with it, as long as you place the correct amount of emphasis on them visualising there selections as though a real deck was there.

The three card equivoque at the end is 100%.

Even if you get the same colour and correct number it still a massively strong routine!

In my routine I never ask them anything at all, just to build it up in their mind. The selection process is 100% and it cleaner than the invisible deal ;)

The second subject (after the deck is verified normal) can deal to WHATEVER card they want ;) No cards are swapped at any time.

I might be tempted to upload a video in the near future!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:41 am 
Penguin

Are there any ways we can tempt you more? I'd love to see the effect and also it's always nice to see similar effects with different presentation, so i'm pro towards the video ;)

At the moment i'm working with the invisible deal with equivoc. It seems more fair to people if they really think I don't know which pile is which.. ciombined with an invisible deck if i mess it up... really nice effect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:36 pm 
Penguin

I will record the video purely for this thread :)

To give you a sense of it. (it will not be a video product just a demo).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:26 am 
Penguin

:D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

Video coming soon?! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:04 pm 
Penguin

Wow, sorry completely forgot! I will upload it tomorrow and get it on here. Been ultra busy!

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm 
Penguin

I remember Paul Gertner doing a "fire" patter for what you are looking for in his lecture which I believe is done by Larry Becker. David Regal in Approaching Magic has an excellent routine that involves the fire in a building routine called Hotel 52. Also in Art of Astonishment books there is one where you are writing the spectators choices out on a pad. For me that is the easiest to remember since I am taking notes.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:46 am 
Penguin

If you ever get to Chicago and buy Eugene burger lunch... This guy is a ninja at forcing one card using equivoke. Also check out Joshua Quinn's work, he's a good friend and a killer mental sleight master.