View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dual Reality concerns
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:41 pm 
Penguin

I really like the idea of dual reality and its applications but I am scared of a few things. I am worried I will get caught out or someone will say something they shouldn't. Also what if people talk after?? I have been performing for a couple of years and do live shows every couple of month. I love reading about the ideas and they excite me but I just dare not take the jump HELP

Post subject: Re: Dual Reality concerns
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:15 pm 
born to perform.

Okay Peter can give you the "expert" advice but perhaps my perspective will help you out a bit. I have just started studying this stuff as well, perhaps just a few months longer than you, and some of these principles do seem a bit daunting at first. That said, there are a lot of techniques that really won't make a difference if the spectator speaks about it afterwards or not. Start with these and then work your way up to some of the "bolder" techniques. So for me, I started with the Instant Pseudo Induction. The IPI is only used to enhance another effect. It is used to give the audience the image of you instantly hypnotizing a volunteer. From there you go onto another effect. When all is said and done it is the other effect that they will be talking about afterwards. So in a sense, the IPI is a "mental flourish." It adds to a mentalism performance what a card or coin flourish adds to a close-up performance.

From there, where I am at right now, go on to the Dual Realities in which the volunteer is lead to believe one thing whereas the audience believes another. So things like Mind Plant. The thing with these is that you need to rehearse the h@ll out of them before you perform them the first time. You need to be sure you have your scripting down pat or you could kill the effect.

Finally, once you get those down, you can start playing with some of the really daring stuff. The stuff where you are instant stooging and the spectator realizes, and must then play along with the fact that, they are an instant stooge. This will need to take not only tight scripting, but also smart spectator selection and or, the confidence and charm of the performer to pull off effectively.

That is just how I am approaching DR. As I said, I am kind of in that 2nd stage. I'm am interested in doing some of the really daring stuff but I'll be holding off on that until I get more experience and confidence.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:15 am 
Penguin

I think you covered it perfectly Eric; When it comes to the instant stooging using lines like,

'In a moment you are going to follow a few simple instructions'

This practically forces the subject to do what you want them to do. They are backed into a corner, they do not want to appear stupid and as though they cannot follow simple instructions. In most dual reality effects the subject will close their eyes use this to your advantage.

(For example.) If the subject believes you have told the audience you have given them a secret image to think about and someone in the audience is going to guess it (why would they talk about this)?.

Use lines like this;

'I have given an image for 'Zach' to think about; no one in this room has an idea what that image is correct?

They will respond no

The idea is simple WE are going to look at Zachs body language and try to receive the image he is sending us'.

Now lets look at these lines from the subjects (Zachs) point of view.

'I have given Zach an image to think about'= He showed me an image to think about (at this point if he wasn't going to do what you had asked, you have openly made him aware he should be).

Everyone responds they do not know what the image is. = Right I am the only person that knows that image.

Try receive that image = Someone is going to guess it (he will ignore the word we as he thinks you are using it as a collective term for the audience).

Now lets look at things from the audiences point of view.

'I have given Zach an image to think of' = Just seems to them like you are pointing out the obvious, you told him to think of an image and he is. (they never see this as you have given him a specific image to think of)

No one in THIS ROOM knows that image = This seems that you are stating to Zach, that there is no way ANYONE could know the image.

We are going to try pick up on it = We are all going to try pick up on it (including the performer)

Two quick sentences make the world of difference. As the subject believes you have told the audience you have given him an image there is no need for him later on to go 'HE TOLD ME TO THINK OF AN IMAGE' its not logical.

Another thing to remember is subject's are often confused, they do not want to seem stupid so often do not talk about things after anyway (they just accept it for what it is). You need to remember as well that subjects often exaggerate about what has happened to them, they want to make it seem like it would work on anyone.

They will often exaggerate to such a degree that the effect takes on a new life (a lot of the time making the effect more brilliant than it ever was).

Lastly

If you fail on any effect (not just dual reality) use this line.

'This just proves that everything I am doing tonight is genuine, it can fail at any time. When working with the mind nothing is 100%, its not like a band or comedian that can rehearse every mind is different. I think you can appreciate that you cannot influence all minds, all of the time'.

This can be really strong; it makes everything else you are doing so much credible. Use your fails to your advantage. Derren has taken this and uses it in a lot of his shows (failing on purpose). The audience will 99% of the time remember the hits and forget the misses anyway. A good example of this is anyone that has ever been to a psychic reading, they will forget everytime the 'Psychic' has missed and only talks about the hits.

Often exaggerating the reading (not just in their own mind but to everyone else).

Any how I hope this has helped, I typed this up quickly so I hope its legible and sorry about the grammar!

Pete

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:57 am 
Penguin

WOW Peter we have made contributions in the same book=

http://africaebook.blogspot.com/

I do love your work I think it the freshest thing I have read in a long time I am just a little scared to perform it. I have read what you posted above and I like the idea I will just have to go out and do it i suppose. Do you have any effects that are spiritualist type? I am looking for something to perform at a seance party I am having what do you suggest. Thank you also eostresh your post was also good for me. DONT worry about the grammar its social ths posts not proffessional so it doesnt matter as long as you can read them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:52 am 
Penguin

Yeah it seems we are in the same book :)

I have a read your staple gun roulette; Nice routine, I had the pleasure of proofing the book so I got to get an early look at the routines.. I went out with Luke Jermay for a drink this week and hes also got an addition I am just waiting for him to send over.

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:41 pm 
Penguin

Banachek and kenton have wrote in there! :shock: I landed lucky. your awaiting a contribution from Luke Jermay? You pulled some serious strings man.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:46 pm 
Penguin

Nope, they were happy to help they are all fantastic guys. Can I ask you a few questions? I will Pm you.

Peter Turner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:31 pm 
Penguin

you shouldnt worry about if the two people end up talking after if your doing it on stage! the only time you should worry is if the person write a blog on line that tones of people will see! i meen if you ever got the chance to perform for perz hilton you know the blog guy and you did dual reality on him than the art would probaley meet its doom only for a year or two!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:53 pm 
born to perform.

shockrock20 wrote:
you shouldnt worry about if the two people end up talking after if your doing it on stage! the only time you should worry is if the person write a blog on line that tones of people will see! i meen if you ever got the chance to perform for perz hilton you know the blog guy and you did dual reality on him than the art would probaley meet its doom only for a year or two!

Ermmmm...Dual Reality isn't instant stooging. The whole point of it is that different people will get a different effect and not realize it. Thus, there really isn't that much to tell afterword. So, yes...you most definitely could perform this on a famous blogger without worrying about having it spread all about the internet.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 am 
Penguin

actully some of the ways are instant stoooging!
but some of but it all depends on what effect
and how it presented!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:18 pm 
born to perform.

shockrock20 wrote:
actully some of the ways are instant stoooging!
but some of but it all depends on what effect
and how it presented!

I realize that there is probably a little overlap between the two but I think perhaps, within the community, we should start separating the definitions a little bit because each has different connotations.

Instant stooging implies that the participant is aware of the fact(even if sometimes it is subconscious) that he/she is "playing along."

Dual Reality is where the participant sees the effect differently than the rest of the audience. So in this instance everyone experiences a magic or mind reading effect and is therefore less likely to talk about it after the show.

One way or the other, it sounds as if, from your previous post, that you might want to study some more dual reality. If you are performing Dual Reality properly and tying off your loose ends, you shouldn't be concerned that someone might run off and blog about it after the show. I'd be happy to give you some links to some good books if you are interested.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:28 pm 
Penguin

thanks but i think i know enough about the subject.
i have almost all of luck jermays work and kenton kenepper and banacheck and richard ostarlind and marc spellmanns work i have almost all of there books and dvds.
if theres something im missing please do tell thanks!
and i get the diffrents it and i guess i take back what i said!
i do daul reality all the time. im working with nefesch right now a method that involes daul reality!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:42 pm 
born to perform.

yep... you are missing a big one. You are missing Peter Turner, and to a lesser extant Chris Rawlins. Both of these guys have some great work on the subject that takes DR further than what has previously been published.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:53 pm 
born to perform.

shockrock20 wrote:
i do daul reality all the time. im working with nefesch right now a method that involes daul reality!

Is that what is up with all the posts you have been digging up lately? You wan't to build up your post count so you have some cred when you release this new book? Buddy, I hate to pop your bubble....but Penguin has been a ghost town for the last few months. If you have a project to announce...just do it. There is nothing in the rules against talking about products that Penguin doesn't carry. You just can't recommend people buy products that Penguin does sell on other websites.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm 
Penguin

lol no thats not why!
actually i just start useing the forms.lol!
i never heard of those guy please do tell me more about them!
thanks!