View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Bruce
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:28 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 891
This is on the top of my list to buy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:58 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 942
Location: Western Australia
i wonder if its the same as his youtube videos though?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
On the green place (magic cafe) Benji has gotten most of the pros upset because what he writes WILL get you in trouble. He advises people to crash corporate events at hotels. He doesn't say that you can be prosecuted for doing that, the hotel WILL throw you out and if you persist prosecute you for either trespassing or "public Nuisance." He has other suggestions just as wrong as that.

Now, he does have some good ideas too, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't buy the DVD when the series is on U-Tube.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 09 Jun 2009
Posts: 402
Benji has already provided alot of useful tips for free on youtube. Sadly, I think that has affected how marketable these DVDs are.

-ArchAngel_G


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Feb 2003
Posts: 866
I bought the ebook of Get Booked from Benji's site. I'm about halfway through it and there is a lot of good stuff in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:47 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 550
The information in Get Booked is new and wasn't released to anyone on my newsletter either. It includes websites that list thousands of event planners...and it will include a 60 minute bonus interview with Anton Zellmann (he made over $6 million in the trade show business) where he teaches you about getting gigs...especially trade show gigs.

This course talks about my recent public show in which I charged $55 per ticket. It tells you how I get on TV without sending press releases...the most recent TV appearance was in San Diego on Fox News (I got on in one week)...and it even talks about using social media to get gigs

If you would like a free 12 minute video on a recent $4,000 45 minute gig I booked then send me an email to info@paidtoperform.com and it talks about some of the things you can do to get more gigs.



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:51 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Posts: 3251
Location: of my spongeballs eludes me.
Right on Benji! Your event crashing teachings are right on. I have worked in the hotel and event industry and know that if one uses a little common sense there will be no trouble.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:50 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Feb 2003
Posts: 866
EZrhythm wrote:
Right on Benji! Your event crashing teachings are right on. I have worked in the hotel and event industry and know that if one uses a little common sense there will be no trouble.


This ^

paddy wrote:
On the green place (magic cafe) Benji has gotten most of the pros upset because what he writes WILL get you in trouble. He advises people to crash corporate events at hotels. He doesn't say that you can be prosecuted for doing that, the hotel WILL throw you out and if you persist prosecute you for either trespassing or "public Nuisance." He has other suggestions just as wrong as that.

Now, he does have some good ideas too, don't get me wrong. But I wouldn't buy the DVD when the series is on U-Tube.


Not this ^


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:22 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
magicman222 seems to think that we should only post things that are complimentary & all kissy. Sorry! My post was to get out all the facts. When someone is posing as an expert and giving out suggestions that are WRONG and will cause harm to those that follow his suggestions, it is our duty to post all the facts. That's what I did and I stand by it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Feb 2003
Posts: 866
paddy wrote:
magicman222 seems to think that we should only post things that are complimentary & all kissy.


Not true at all. I agree that you can get in trouble for "crashing" events but only if you are being a repeat nuisance. If you speak to someone in charge at the event they might just let you perform for free. If they say no and you proceed anyways then sure (what Paddy says).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:35 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Thank you, for agreeing with me on that. Benji, however, encourages his students to just crash the dam thing and doesn't tell them of the consequences. Also he is using Joel Baurer (spelling??) as his model, which would be good if Benji was old enough and had the experience to draw on the Mr. Baurer has. The general consensus is that Benji learned some magic and is in a rush to cash in on it. Even going as far as forging references, claiming to have the small room shows with high prices and limited seating and then call the fictional sessions a success.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:51 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Posts: 3251
Location: of my spongeballs eludes me.
paddy wrote:
Thank you, for agreeing with me on that. Benji, however, encourages his students to just crash the dam thing and doesn't tell them of the consequences. Also he is using Joel Baurer (spelling??) as his model, which would be good if Benji was old enough and had the experience to draw on the Mr. Baurer has. The general consensus is that Benji learned some magic and is in a rush to cash in on it. Even going as far as forging references, claiming to have the small room shows with high prices and limited seating and then call the fictional sessions a success.


Are these facts or rumors? Defending a libel suit could get quite expensive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:47 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 32
Quote:
Are these facts or rumors? Defending a libel suit could get quite expensive.


And so could defending a counter suit. It's best to resolve disputes peacefully, outside of the courtroom and without the astronomical expense of litigation. Lawyers are the only ones that really win when it comes to the courtroom and litigation, nobody else really wins. Those of us who are not lawyers are not interested in litigation but in preventing the costs of litigation. Anytime you resort to a lawsuit you can also be counter-sued which does not help either side in a dispute prevent the costs of the courtroom and litigation. Why I wouldn't be interested in a long term strategy that would ultimately only make the lawyers rich but in a long term strategy which will help get me rich. Filing a lawsuit can start a long, drawn out, protracted and expensive legal war for both parties in a dispute and should be the absolute last resort option towards resolving disputes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:28 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 23 Feb 2012
Posts: 82
paddy wrote:
On the green place (magic cafe) Benji has gotten most of the pros upset because what he writes WILL get you in trouble. He advises people to crash corporate events at hotels. He doesn't say that you can be prosecuted for doing that, the hotel WILL throw you out and if you persist prosecute you for either trespassing or "public Nuisance." He has other suggestions just as wrong as that.


paddy wrote:
magicman222 seems to think that we should only post things that are complimentary & all kissy. Sorry! My post was to get out all the facts. When someone is posing as an expert and giving out suggestions that are WRONG and will cause harm to those that follow his suggestions, it is our duty to post all the facts. That's what I did and I stand by it.


paddy wrote:
Thank you, for agreeing with me on that. Benji, however, encourages his students to just crash the dam thing and doesn't tell them of the consequences. Also he is using Joel Baurer (spelling??) as his model, which would be good if Benji was old enough and had the experience to draw on the Mr. Baurer has. The general consensus is that Benji learned some magic and is in a rush to cash in on it. Even going as far as forging references, claiming to have the small room shows with high prices and limited seating and then call the fictional sessions a success.


Interesting ...

Paddy, you seem to believe that there is only one path by which to venture in the world of magic. Excuse me for saying so, but I believe that is a foolish notion. It is a limiting perspective and, in my experience, has only led to stagnation and a bitter lack of advancement. Lessons learned from experience are often far more valuable to the individual than are those about which he may only read, thereby forcing him to learn them with a vicariousness that will not instill within him the truth of the message!

Magic is about adventure. One of the legends of magic history, Harry Houdini, was a prime example of the entrepeneur in the world of mystery entertainment. Had he not risked his reputation and well-being on numerous occasions, he would never have learned many of the things he did, nor would he have enjoyed all the adventures along the way. As the clichè saying goes: "No pain, no gain." Though the safer of two paths may lead to security, the more treacherous often leads to more rewarding insight. There is nobody with enough authority (nor hopefully enough arrogance) to say that one magician lives within the lines of propriety while another is to be shamed. I would venture to guess that, were Houdini to stand in front of you now, you would dare not scold him! After all, who are you to tell him how to live his own life? You are probably asking yourself at this moment, "Who is this Satanica, that he has the audacity to tell me off?!" I don't make any pretense of authority; I wish only to offer my own perspective. I do wish to ask, though, how can you justify using the word "wrong" to describe one man's advice? You say it is "[your] duty to post all the facts," and yet you offer your opinion (e.g. that Benji is "posing as an expert" and his advice is "WRONG"). That is a direct contradiction of logic. As well, you say that, "The general consensus is that Benji learned some magic and is in a rush to cash in on it." You ought to offer factual statistics to reinforce such statements.

It is perfectly understandable that you should be concerned with regard to the risk involved in the practice of attending conferences, banquets, ceremonies, etc. to which one is has not been invited. Yes, you are correct in saying that the hotel very probably would throw such an uninvited guest out, and could very well prosecute such a person. You are correct. Your experience is just as valuable as anybody else's, as is your input. However, just as one shouldn't live out his life in a safe room 50 meters below the ground with 5-foot thick steel walls simply for the sake of avoiding death by some random act of happenstance, so should one avoid limiting himself to the confines of the least risky approach. Perhaps the experience of attempting to take Benji's advice would prove to be more beneficial than harmful. Undeniably, it has been for Benji.

Furthermore, with the proper level of confidence and social engineering, a savvy performer can make great bounds by attending particular social functions and gatherings simply to make connections without bringing any harm to himself, the attendees, or the establishment. Steve Jobs attended course lectures in college for which he was not enrolled, and Harry Houdini was famous for waltzing into police stations to perform escapes (among countless other jeopardous activities). Both of these men put a lot at risk, but they did so to great effect and without incurring damage.

So much of the value in life comes out of living! I wouldn't call sitting in a room afraid to busk because I don't know if I am ready a real life. That is a life of would-be. It's a life of "I wish," and it's a life lacking boldness of any kind. I lived that life for many years because people said, "You aren't ready! You'll get eaten alive!" When I threw caution to the wind, packed myself up and hit the street, I discovered what an acting lecturer named Richard had once told me: "Performing on your feet, you will learn 100 times more than you would from sitting and reading about it."

On a final note (correct me if I am wrong), I believe that the man you are speaking of is named Joel Bauer. He is the author of a publication called Hustle Hustle: The Magic of Business, which is about managing a career as a magician, and how to do so successfully. Here is one more interesting bit of related information: Mr. Bauer claims that he has supported himself professionally performing magic since the age of nine. Paddy, I can only imagine what you would say about a nine year-old performing professional magic!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get Booked Marketing For Magicians 6 DVD set by Benji Br
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:39 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 21 Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Well it looks like he is done with this product.

Quote:
Well I've got some bad news...

I know I promised to give you a bonus video if you got "Get Booked"
but due to bad publicity, I can't give out the video.

I get a lot of messages on Facebook and emails from people who love
the information, have used it, and it has helped them but since
nobody is willing to publicly say it on forums, etc...I will just
focus on my businesses (performing, speaking, & affiliate marketing).

I started this blog (knowing there wouldn't be a lot of money in
it) because I really wanted to help other magicians get gigs
because I know what it's like to want more gigs but not know how to
get them. People have constantly told me that nobody values free
information but I didn't listen.

And since very few are willing to give reviews about the marketing
tips (for the new product Get Booked) on forums then I have to limit who I help.

I'll just be focusing on gigs so if you want to see what I'm up to
then add me on Facebook or check out my speaking website
http://www.CreatingSuperstars.com

I'll be at an event in Vegas June 22nd so if you're there and want
to hang out for a little then let me know.




Adios,


Benji Bruce


All advice is welcome in my book and it is up to me to decide my own path and comfort zone.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.