View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 'instant' locate any named card
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:15 am 
Penguin

so i'm working on a trick like the invisible deck, yet i'd like to do it with an 'normal' deck. Normal means a borrowed deck although i've got time to stack it.

I've practised a pass that can turn over a card in the middle of the deck, so if i can quickly and accuratly locate that card as soon as it's called for, my invisible deck trick is done....

so, could anyone direct me towards a way of doing this, locating a card. No way of marking can be used as the deck is borrowed. Stacking is not a problem as i can do that while performing other effects.

anyone?

P.S. just realised, crimps are not a problem either... probably could do something with that..

Post subject: Re: 'instant' locate any named card
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:00 am 
born to perform.

You are making things to hard on yourself. Look into an index. As for borrowed decks....well you have to use the most common deck a layperson would have in your area and hope for the best. So in the US just bet on Bikes and bet on Waddington's in the UK. Oh course, the whole concept of using a borrowed deck exists only in the mind of magicians so that they can brag about their amazing sleight of hand skills. How often to you go to a restaurant, or wedding reception, and ask to borrow a deck?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:19 am 
Penguin

well, maybe not a borrowed deck but i do not wish to take many more different types of decks with me and constantly do deck switches. as in other effects i let the spectators check the deck, heavily gaffed cards are not an option.

so maybe yes, this opens up other possiblities..
Might you have any suggestions/directions?

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:10 pm 
born to perform.

Yes. For that effect I would use a card index. The one I personally use is Daniel Madison's "Advocate." The Advocate is only slightly bigger than a normal pack of cards.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:45 am 
Penguin

I thought about an index, it's not quick enough though. I wish to have my hands and cards in view all the time.

Anyway, i came up with something. Don't know if it has been published yet but I'll soon make a video of the effect.

Lunch time now though! :D

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:21 am 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1905

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:45 am 
Penguin

This looks very promising... thank you so much for the direction :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:01 pm 
Penguin

Why not do a Wayne Dobson magician force? I recently did Invisble Deck routine to my girlfriend. Told her to pick up any two suits and hand them to me, she handed me Hearts and Clubs(perfect as I forced 7 Hearts), we got rid of diamonds and spades after that. Then I asked her to pick one either hearts or clubs, she picked hearts(perfect), then asked her to pick any card in the hearts and put it upside down in my invisible pack. Asked her what her card was.. she said 7(PERFECT!) in my real deck I had the 7 of Hearts upside down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:52 am 
born to perform.

WELCOME to Penguin Town, Stephen!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:09 pm 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
WELCOME to Penguin Town, Stephen!

Thank you. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:39 am 
Penguin

StephenHammer wrote:
Why not do a Wayne Dobson magician force? I recently did Invisble Deck routine to my girlfriend. Told her to pick up any two suits and hand them to me, she handed me Hearts and Clubs(perfect as I forced 7 Hearts), we got rid of diamonds and spades after that. Then I asked her to pick one either hearts or clubs, she picked hearts(perfect), then asked her to pick any card in the hearts and put it upside down in my invisible pack. Asked her what her card was.. she said 7(PERFECT!) in my real deck I had the 7 of Hearts upside down.

although it's a great way for an effect, it's wayyyyy too slo for the effects i have in mind. The thing is, i'd like to ask people for a card instead of asking them to pick a card.
For now, i've been using the index deck from Daniel Madison which has been working great. But it uses pocket space which i don't like.