View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kid's Birthday party ideas needed!
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:56 pm 
Penguin

Hello. I need some ideas on what tricks to get to perform for a birthday party. I usually do card magic but need more than that for kids ages 4-10. I am not doing a "show" at this party but more of magic walk around so I won't have a designated time to do my magic. For example I could just walk up to a kid and ask him if he/she wanted to see a trick. And I do not have very much experience with kids at all. Lastly, my gig is in seven days (May 16th) so I need to order the tricks like tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the advice :)

Post subject: Re: Kid's Birthday party ideas needed!
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:59 am 

Sorry to tell you this but you are about to have your a$$ handed to you by the kids. TURN DOWN this job!!

The reason I'm telling you this is that kids can see if you are unprepared, and kids have NO MERCY. They will tell you, and everybody at the party (in a very loud shout) that you are no good. When I started I made the same mistake. Thought "what does a kid know" well it almost ruined my reputation and in fact it was over a year before I got another party from anyone that had kids in that school. Don't go into a kids party without preperation, and if you only have 7 days you can not learn, practice, and rehearse anything new that you buy.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:09 pm 
Penguin

I was worried about that. thanks for the advice. I already accepted this gig which I know realize was a BIG mistake on my part, especially accepting it without being prepared. I think the reason i accepted it is because I am only 14 and this will be only my 3rd magic gig. The others were not walk-around magic. I will not make this mistake again but I am wondering since I have already accepted this gig if you have any suggestions on how to "survive" it. And thanks to PenguinMagic's amazing customer service it should arrive Saturday which is earlier than I thought it would.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:02 pm 

As I said earlier, if you buy new effects and even get them on Fiday, there is not enough time to put them in your act.

I just rewrote my act that I busk with, I also changed it to use for parties and other venues. It consists of rope and chinese linking rings, both of these I have used for years. However, until I practice the act for a MINIMUM of 1 hour for every minute of show length, Then rehearse the act for the same amount of time, I won't even show my family or other magi for critique.

Practice is just that. Practice the act over & over until you have it down. Rehearsal is where you not only do the moves but add in the patter and timing until you can do the act when you're unconscious. In fact, the last time I was in the hospital, a nurse came into my room and asked me later what I was doing sound asleep and moving my arms around like I had a rope in my hands. True story.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:13 pm 
Penguin

Ok. I am getting In a Flash by Jay Sankey which I have heard is relatively easy and I know I won't be able to master it in 5 days but I am not doing a "act" or "routine" so I will definitely have some leniency there. Thanks for the suggestion on tricks, I might just go to a magic store in Columbus and buy them. Like I said, I usually do card magic so I'm not really familiar with other stuff except like the TT. Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:38 pm 
Penguin

You certainly are unprepared. However, you'll learn a lot from the experience, and that will help you in the future.

As for In A Flash, you may want to carefully consider these points:

~ Young children are easily distracted, so visual magic has a larger impact than thoughtful magic, so to speak. Cards may not be the best choice.
~ Parents get very concerned when their young children are around fire. Especially a fireball with a six-inch blast radius. Despite what the kids think, the parents probably won't be enthusiastic about this. Especially if they only catch it out of the corner of their eyes, and think you've accidently set their children's heads alight.

Just keep your wits about you, do the effects that you are sure you do well, and make sure they are appropriate for children. The material you know will get much better reactions that will new material with which you will fumble (at which point the children will proceed to disembowl you). Also, bring the presentation down to their level (physically and emotionally). Be energetic, and try to relate with the kids as much as you can. Smile, and enjoy yourself. Make things quick, visual, and easy to understand, as well as easy to repeat as a moment's notice. If you can, get the kids cheering by whatever means possible so that even if you material suffers, the parents feel that you are worth whatever they are paying you. That said, make sure you can quiet the children down effectively if they do get to cheering!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:44 pm 
Penguin

Alright. Thanks for going out of your way to give me this great advice. One last thing, do you know of any easy to learn, effective tricks that I can find at a local magic shop for kids?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:01 am 
Penguin

I have found great success with a simple silk vanish followed by a reappearance from a rolled dollar bill and vice versa. It is visual, it's magical, and it's simple.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:51 am 
Penguin

Thanks! I have looked around and discovered that I have the necessary stuff for the silk vanish and rolled dollar bill appearance so I won't even have to go to the store!