View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fire magic going wrong, on purpose!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:35 pm 
Penguin

For a comedy show, I'd like to vanish a cigarette (easy), but then, a few moments later, have somewhere nearby comically catch on fire.
The show is a parody of The Prestige, you see.
I was thinking of vanishing a card/small object to a wallet, and then vanishing a cigarette, pretending to not know where it was, and then opening a fire wallet. Alternatively, I'd somehow use flash paper/cotton to have my sleeve catch on fire. I feel like there must be a better way.

Any thoughts, Penguin?

Post subject: Re: Fire magic going wrong, on purpose!
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:54 pm 
born to perform.

I would recommend that you do NOT play around with fire...it's dangerous and it is something you have no control over. Plus you, as well as, most venues would need to have insurance. Having your clothes catch on fire , purposely, does not sound the remote bit funny...it sounds more like trouble. Do not attempt this...the consequences could be life altering.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:08 pm 
Penguin

I'm well aware. It's alright though, I'm not the typical teenage magician ordering tricks for this show that 'seemed like a good idea at the time and I know some pretty good card tricks and the show is in a week'. I'm an adult and all that stuff =]
I'd only even consider a method if it was safe.
Insurance is a good point, though. I'll have to check with the producer for that.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:00 am 
born to perform.

lol! disaster waiting to happen

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:35 am 

karel4, it is important to remember that your liability insurance excludes fire magic, so if you accidentally start something on fire it's your A$$. Big time. And if you are performing a show without liability insurance from IBM or SAM? Just don't think about performing.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:29 am 
Penguin

Oi people are so afraid of fire and blah blah blah. First talk to a professional pyro person not a magician.

There are insurance companies that DO cover fire. They are around. Look for them.

There are a number of performers who use a TON of fire and use it well. However you not only have to learn the how's but the why's of fire.

Having a plant catch fire on say his sleeve is much easier than getting your own to do it. However it is a long way to go for a gag. There is a lot to learn. Just find someone who knows what they are doing if you want to learn. Asking a magic board is generally just going to get you the responses you have already seen.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:21 am 
Penguin

Does it have to be actual fire?

There are many different smoke/fog mechanisms on the market. Maybe sylvester the jesters pocket volcano could work for you. I think it would be more funny for you to vanish a cigarette then all of a sudden have smoke coming out of somewhere and you try to just brush it away.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 6:22 pm 
born to perform.

I think that Glamourboy is onto something and then you could use fickle fire or something to produce flames as you are trying to brush the smoke away or as you open your pocket or something like that !

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:27 pm 
Penguin

Good point, Glamourboy!

I took a look at that pocket volcano, and it looks excellent.
However, I've spoken to the producers, and they'd rather have fire, since smoke will be too hard to see at our venue, which is a good point.
They also are talking to the venue about insurance =]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:24 pm 
born to perform.

Bizzaro wrote:
Oi people are so afraid of fire and blah blah blah. First talk to a professional pyro person not a magician.

I'm usually critical of the Magic Cafe' but one thing that is nice about the Magic Cafe' is a sticky that mentions all the legal and safety aspects associated with Fire magic. It then goes on to request that people discuss fire magic with an assumption that people are adult enough to take the proper legal and safety considerations into effect.

I would love it if we would do a Fire Magic Sticky that covers the same ground. When people come to Penguin with a question about fire magic the question gets immediately hijacked and turned into yet another "Dangers of Fire magic" thread. I don't disagree with any caution or warning mentioned above but I am getting really tired of the fact that we rarely actually answer the questions people are asking.

To the OP, there are some electronic fire ignition systems on the market. They are basically things that allow you to light a piece of flashpaper either remotely or via a hidden wire. I'm sorry that I can't think of the names of these systems off the top of my head. If I come across any I'll give you some more specifics.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:20 am 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Bizzaro wrote:

I'm usually critical of the Magic Cafe' but one thing that is nice about the Magic Cafe' is a sticky that mentions all the legal and safety aspects associated with Fire magic. It then goes on to request that people discuss fire magic with an assumption that people are adult enough to take the proper legal and safety considerations into effect.

I would love it if we would do a Fire Magic Sticky that covers the same ground. When people come to Penguin with a question about fire magic the question gets immediately hijacked and turned into yet another "Dangers of Fire magic" thread. I don't disagree with any caution or warning mentioned above but I am getting really tired of the fact that we rarely actually answer the questions people are asking.

The OP asked what we thought of his idea to have his clothes catch on fire...for a comedic interlude. I answered appropriately...mentioning the idea could be dangerous and life altering. I also mentioned having insurance to cover any catastrophes which might occur. There is also a possibility that in some States or perhaps even overseas, licensing might be required for the use of fire (pyrotechnics etal). The incurred cost of both of these fees, may not make it worth the the shock value.

Of course James (Bizzaro), has performed this very effect within his act...yet, after seeing him do so many times...I still do not find it funny. Sorry, James.

I agree that an expert in the field of pyrotechnics should be consulted. All safety precautions should be considered with proper equipment standing by...should things go wrong.

However, I am sticking with my original response...DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:43 pm 
born to perform.

I never once said I didn't agree with your assessment, or the assessment of others. I just said that it is the exact same assessment that "Rightfully" gets bantered about with just about every single fire magic thread. Thus I proposed a sticky that covers all that so that when a fire magic thread pops up, new ground can be covered as opposed to rehashing the same old stuff that we have heard one million times. I guess my rant is kind of like the rants others (and I) have made about Chris Angel Threads. NO New ground has been covered in a Chris Angel thread in the past 3 years and no new ground has been covered in a fire magic thread in perhaps the same amount of time!

Whatever, You guys figure it out among yourselves. I avoided reading this thread for about a week because I new exactly what everyone was going to say. When I finally clicked on it and saw how accurate my prediction was I just felt a need to rant a bit. So either I'm right an we need a sticky or I'm the best mentalist on Penguin. One way or the other I won't waste anymore of my time on this uselessly predictable thread.

Cheers all,
Sorry for the rant;)

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:04 am 
Penguin

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start a flame war.
I agree with the idea of a fire magic sticky though, the Cafe has the right idea there.
Also, I just heard back from the producers, and the venue we've booked doesn't have insurance, so I'll just be vanishing cigarettes without setting myself on fire. Phew!

For anyone interested, I'm doing a science based parody of Sin city. It's called Sine City. Like sin(x)? It's a city full of.... ups and downs?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:56 am 
Penguin

bLiNdSiDe wrote:
Of course James (Bizzaro), has performed this very effect within his act...yet, after seeing him do so many times...I still do not find it funny. Sorry, James.

I have never done anything where I spontaneously combust my sleeve. I have lit my pant legs on fire with a torch if that is what you are referring too.

Are you in Vegas?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:54 am 
born to perform.

Bizzaro wrote:
bLiNdSiDe wrote:

I have never done anything where I spontaneously combust my sleeve. I have lit my pant legs on fire with a torch if that is what you are referring too.

Are you in Vegas?

James, that's the reference I was citing...and yes, I live in Vegas.

@karel4, I do think the smoke gimmick would be okay...since the insurance is now out of the equation.