View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting closer to becoming a full time entertainer???
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

So to make this somewhat short. I have been performing magic (for money) regularly on nights and weekends for about a year and a half. I mean I have had shows every weekend for that long and I consider myself to have started my business about 2 years age. I have been doing paid gigs longer but it wasn't until about two years ago that I decided to turn this into a business and keep records, promote, and try to learn how to do this more and more. I am at the point where the actual "tricks, routines" are not very important. I want to learn how to really take this to the next level and get even more work and eventually figure out a way to support myself and my fiancé by doing magic (entertaining). I am also a substitute teacher and that makes me money with the money I make doing magic and isn't a bad job, but....I would like to get more gigs and charge a bit more then I have charged over the last two years. This may have been asked on here before but if you have read this far I would appreciate any guidance on the matter, i.e.: books, methods or whatever you can offer me. Thank you for reading.

-(Magic) Ari
www.felbermagic.com

Post subject: Re: Getting closer to becoming a full time entertainer???
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:49 am 

Ari, I just checked your site. GREAT WORK! That's a big step there, having a good site. Now it is all marketing. Getting out to restaurants and speaking to the general manager to entertain in the restaurant. This will get you seen by the people throwing parties (remember to CHARGE the place don't do freebies except s a one night audition) Then find out who the decision makers are for various companies in your area and hit them with how (remember to phrase it this way) they can benefit by using you in their company meetings, company parties & family days and how you can double their leads from trade or consumer shows

The last one is a biggie. A party goes for $200, a family day affair, maybe 400 but a trade or consumer show will bring in between $2 to 4 thousand dollars a day plus expenses.

Mazel Tov and many years full of success to you

Paddy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:38 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks, Paddy.

-Ari

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:24 am 
born to perform.

Hey guys,

Haven't been on in ages, but your post interests me. As Paddy said your site is great, very well designed. What you need is a restaurant and some publicity. Which honestly is relatively easily. If you are already performing in restaurants then your pretty much half way there. Once you are performing in restaurants regularly send out a press kit to local newspapers. You need to have a simple one-line to interest the newspaper.

E.g - I used to perform regularly for patrons on the train from my commutes to the city just for randoms so I did a "Have you seen this man?" article. The newspaper ate it up got an interview in the newspaper and then i have heaps of people come up to me daily on the train in the city blah "Hey aren't you that magician....". In other words as Paddy put it, get people to talk about you.

You need restaurant work, it fills in the blanks and gets you lots of gigs. I probably get a good 40% of my work just from restaurants, the rest is repeats and from other client parties.

Another tip - Create set rates. I have my rates I.e - $200 / 1.5hour for a local party (family BBQ) (within 10min drive) because its close i don't have to travel and its easy work. While the same party that's in the city might be an hour travel. So you need to account for that in your quote. If you keep quotes people different standards its hard to keep tracks of what is what and you not only confuse yourself, but you confuse your client when they rebook you and your twice as expensive as you were a month ago. I made this mistake, so be organized.

Finally agents. I have a numerous of them and today I booked close to $2,000 over 3 shows with my agents today. Sure i may get $2,000 and they might be charging them $2,500 - $3,000 but this is free money. You didn't have to advertise it, you didn't have to pay your agent to find you work, you didn't have to do anything they do all the work and you reap the rewards. Agents are always weary at first, but after a show or two and they see the response you get they will have a flood of shows for you. I probably get close to 20 shows a year via agents. That's 20 shows I never had, people I have never met which is giving me. 1. Exposure 2. Reputation 3. More Clients 4. Money $$$

E.g - I did a corporate event for a building supply company's clientele. Show went well. Got a call back a week later for the companies Xmas party, but within 3 weeks, I had 2 of the other companies at the event call me to book me for gigs too, both of which i got and still do get repeat work for them.

So my tips to you are

1. Exposure and Media
2. Restaurants
3. Agents

With this combination you will be getting lots more shows

Anthony

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:32 pm 
born to perform.

Awesome stuff, thanks, Anthony and paddy

-Ari

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:21 pm 
born to perform.

PS: I have been looking into agents (because I think it sounds like a good idea) and cannot really figure out how to find one for what we do. How did you find your first agent/agents in general??

thx,
Ari

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:36 am 
born to perform.

afelbs wrote:
PS: I have been looking into agents (because I think it sounds like a good idea) and cannot really figure out how to find one for what we do. How did you find your first agent/agents in general??

thx,
Ari

Hey Ari,

Well first one I actually met was at a corporate event and after I showed him a few tricks he was glad to be my agent. However other agents I have contacted them and generally they will either ask for a meeting (rarely) or evidence of work (most of the time). So generally they want testimonials, a bio, a website, footage of part of some of your work. Sure this is a pain in the [edited] the first time, but after you have it all compiled its basically becomes like a small promo package of who you are, what you do, who you have worked for and the results you receive. If they are pleased with the information you have provided generally they are always happy to represent you. Put it this way the more gigs they find you and the money money they make you, the more money they get.

Most of my agents will tell me here is this show details, send me a quote. Lets say I send through $500. The agent might charge them $600. Takes $100 off the top. however I never know how much they take all I know is I get how much I want and I'm pleased with that when it comes down to it.

Anthony

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:34 am 
born to perform.

okay, I have all that stuff. should I print out some testimonials and my bio to have as a hardcopy to give to people if they ask?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:31 am 
born to perform.

Hey Ari,

Well....Back in the day, I used to send them out to agencies, newpapers, event management centres, function centres, etc.

However over time people prefer to look at an email of the stuff or just a website. I do still have some printed, but am rarely ever asked for a hardcopy. If you are going to give out a hardcopy make sure you put the document in a nice folder and print it using high quality paper to give a professional look and feel.

Note with digital copies. If you EVER send out any information, quote, etc digital ALWAYS make them a PDF. This will prohibit others from editing any of the information that you have written

Anthony,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:56 am 
born to perform.

ok