View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My 'instant locate card in shuffled deck' effect
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:32 pm 
Penguin

http://youtu.be/S9WhLD0nXlM
Presentation could be better but after a few failed recordings my standard of quality went downwards...

If you know anything simmilar, please let me know.

Post subject: Re: My 'instant locate card in shuffled deck' effect
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:07 am 
Penguin

really? no reaction at all?

I don't know any effect on the market that can do this. Maybe with sleight of hand, lots of false shuffles and cuts..
but these are genuine shuffles and cuts...

hmm, guess i haven't seen much yet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 pm 
born to perform.

Looks promising. If it is a gaffed deck it has already been done. If you are getting a peek it has already been done. If it is not those two then you may have something there but don't get too excited. There are some others around here that are more well read than I.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:21 am 
Penguin

Thank you for the reaction :)
It is a gaffed deck, and i'd really like to know who has done it before. I could find 'Dennis loomis any card called for' which can't be shuffled. Same with Marc Oberon's Master deck, no shuffle possible.

I'm not really going crazy, I figured it had been done before. But I do wish to perfect the method thus be able to compare it with similiar products.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:59 am 
born to perform.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view ... 1&forum=45

Read through that thread. It may give you some ideas. I scrounged it up because there was a deck that Cardini invented that did something similar....though I don't recall if you could shuffle it? Anyways...I couldn't think of the name of the deck. Some guy in that thread claims to be able to do it with a borrowed deck? I didn't read all the way through it to learn much more than that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:27 am 
Penguin

Read through the thread, interesting conversation but except for the 'cardini deck' that people talk about, the methods they talk about, decks can not be shuffled. Dennis loomis talks about a shuffle that is cancelled by the magician..

I've really gotten curious about this cardini deck people talk about (can't find anything online)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:09 am 
born to perform.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zmx6n7J9Y

It's called an Instanto deck! Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. For the life of me I couldn't remember. This video shows the guy shuffling but I can't say if that was a false or what?

If you don't have Marc Oberon's deck it might be worth checking out. I really have no clue if it is easier than the method you have but if it is then a simple false shuffle could make it worth using.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:39 am 
Penguin

The Instanto deck is also a stacked deck.
Marc Oberon... stacked deck.

I've been using my deck for a while now and it does need practise to use flawlessly. But because of the fact that it can be shuffled, a lot more things are possible.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:57 am 
born to perform.

Phrenic wrote:

I've been using my deck for a while now and it does need practise to use flawlessly. But because of the fact that it can be shuffled, a lot more things are possible.

Other than a spectator shuffle then ...no. That is the only advantage. The magician can shuffle an Instanto or Mark Oberon's version as much as he wants.

If the spectator shuffling the deck is really important to you then it is a good improvement. So you want to concern yourself with how easy is it to use. If it is easier than the other methods then it is a more significant improvement than letting a spectator shuffle because there are a lot of magicians who wouldn't really bother with a spectator shuffle for an effect like that. Cutting to any card in the deck is generally a longer routine. Specs can't shuffle well usually and that wastes a lot of time. For some effects it works for others it just bores the rest of the spectators. Doesn't mean you don't have a good idea there but be realistic about the contribution.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:29 am 
Penguin

I did triumph with this deck, the spectator called for the card instead of drawing it. It created a kind of shocking awe, it was nice.

Most effects I do are part of a routine and I don't like deck switches. Being able to do other effects before the Cut to any card effect greatly increases my flexibility. Also if only one effect is done with a deck, it draws suspicion to the deck itself.

Letting a spectator shuffle is normally something that happens while I present my patter. It would be boring indeed if I was waiting for the shuffle like everyone else. Also, if I do a shuffle, people always expect it to be a false shuffle, even when it isn't.. sometimes it's good to get it out of the way.

about the contribution... I'm glad I have this deck. Many tricks have become very easy. Constant card control is not necessary anymore. If i know the card, anything can be done with the deck and I can always gain control back with a simple cut. You can even get any card to the top with a pass, thus making it look like the spectator shuffled the specific card to the top.

But maybe you're right, the stuff that can be done with this deck can be done with sleight of hand. It doesn't add anything completly new. Still, great addiction to my props

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 pm 
born to perform.

Well read my statement carefully. I don't disagree with any of the applications you mention. Indeed it seems like a pretty cool idea. I'm just pointing out that the only improvement appears to be a spectator shuffling the deck. I figure a false shuffle is, or at least should be, one of the first card control moves anyone learns. Thus, unless it is really important to you that the spectator shuffles, then the MOST important feature of a gaffed deck like that is how easy it is to use. Lets face it. If you do a set of card magic having the spectator shuffle the deck once is more than enough to sell your whole set. And deck switches are simply the most over thought moves in all of card magic. "Pick a card.....Now I'm going to turn around a moment while you show the card to everyone else...." Done. Easy, Easy, Easy.

Doesn't mean I am not very interested in what you have there. I'm just saying....your selling the wrong pluses of the deck. I don't care if a spec can shuffle it but I have been considering getting an Instanto deck for a while but have held off because it works best with a borderless design. For any card set that doesn't require signing away cards or tearing them up I use Fourniers. So if your deck is a DIY idea that can be done with any back design you choose then I would love for you to do a write up for it. Maybe make an e-book of it.

As the custom card market grows, so to will the desire for gimmicks that people can make at home with whatever deck they like to use. That is something that the cardini deck(Instanto) and the Marc Oberon deck(Can't remember the name?) do not offer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:04 am 
Penguin

I see what you mean now and i'd like to thank you for pointing it out (although it took you a few posts, i guess also a thank you for being so determined)

Yes, the fact that it can be shuffled is the only real improvement, the ease of use is about the same as an instanto or masterdeck (the marc oberon deck). But it's probably possible to improve some on that and after your advice I'll put my focus more on that area.

BTW, yes it can be done with any deck and with about an hour of DIY time.