View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hypnosis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:16 pm 
Penguin

Ok where do I start. I have the manchurian approach I have hypnotized 1 person. Help What else can help you be more effective. Mostly I look like an idiot when I hypnotize my family and friends and it does not work. I memorize scrips and really try any help guys.

Post subject: Re: Hypnosis
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:49 pm 
Penguin

If you are looking for a deeper understanding of hypnosis, you should look into Ormond McGill's "Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism."

Also, you would be wise to do research into the psychology behind hypnosis rather than simply memorizing scripts and actions, and assuming they will work. Hypnosis is not about completing a series of steps that will induce a trance; it's not a self-working trick. You must have an understanding not only of the ways in which the brain operates during hypnosis, but also of how you must use rapport to facilitate successful inductions. A good place to start would be studying cerebral processes that occur during the four stages of sleep and REM sleep. Though hypnosis is not sleep per se, it is rather closely related from a psychological standpoint.

Naturally, you will have trouble hypnotizing the people who know you well, since they won't necessarily take you seriously. Since you are a magician, the people who know that (especially your family members and friends) will just consider your attempts at hypnosis another "trick" through which they can see. If you have no prestige, they will not consider you prestigious. Give them a reason to believe that you are legitimate, and they will be more likely to accept an induction. Keep in mind, however, that not everyone is going to open up to inductions (for various reasons), and that you must use experience to recognize these personalities.

Hypnosis isn't something you will learn from watching DVDs and following steps. It's an interaction in the same respect that magic is. Charismatic reactions aren't the result of amazing tricks; they are the result of an interpersonal experience having been enjoyed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:07 am 
born to perform.

I think you really need some practical "never fail" techniques. Ask yourself if you want to impress yourself or your audience? If you goals are audience centered then there are several effects on the market that give the appearance of hypnotism. Start by researching "Out to Lunch"

Look into Alvo Stockman's Battle of The Sexes (BOSS) and Alex Loredo's CAPtivated. These are all techniques that I have used to give convincing set-ups. Once you get someone in the frame of mind that they have already been hypnotized then you are more likely to successfully hypnotize them for real.

Also check out Peter Turner's work. "Devious Realities" to be specific. He has a really nice instant induction. He wrote a whole book Hypnosis that was great but he no longer sells it. Great stuff though. The beauty of his work is that it looks like hypnosis even if the subject doesn't actually become hypnotized.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 pm 
Penguin

I do magnetic fingers, heavy card and the 2 pens crossed and stuck together. then I go into the hand to eye fixation. Then wait till the eyes fixate or twitch and push their head doe slightly and it worked once out of 5 people.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:53 am 
born to perform.

panda44721 wrote:
I do magnetic fingers, heavy card and the 2 pens crossed and stuck together. then I go into the hand to eye fixation. Then wait till the eyes fixate or twitch and push their head doe slightly and it worked once out of 5 people.

What I am driving at is using magic effects as "STRONG" convincers. I saw an actual "Hypnotist" use OTL once. First he did magnetic fingers, and some other prep stuff. Then he had the subject write down her name and a random number to 1000. He handed her, her signed business card with the number that she wrote down. He then did some phony induction mumbo jumbo snapping his fingers and said, "you are going to forget the number you wrote and convince yourself that you wrote an entirely different number...what number did you write?"

She says her number and then he tells her to look at what she wrote. Undeniably she has written a different number than she though she did. At this point she is convinced that she already has been hypnotized. From there he went straight into a handshake induction.

So the moral of this story is CHEAT! You better your odds that they will go into an actual induction if they think they have already been hypnotized. And if the induction doesn't go as well as you planned...so what? You walk away with at least one strong hypnotic effect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 pm 
born to perform.

Also check out AkiraFist's hypnosis vid ratings; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmMw84WC ... ature=plcp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:48 am 
Penguin

you should also look at The Trilby Connection. The only thing is that The Manchurian Approach and Trilby are very similar in instruction. Trilby is more in depth and teaches you more compliance tests and things that increase the validity of the hypnotist. You should also remember that hypnotists are hypnotists. you should never present yourself as some guy that "knows how to hypnotize people", it makes you look unprofessional. You should have a conviction that you can hypnotize people.