View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Door to door pamphlets??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:35 pm 
born to perform.

Hey guys,

So I have been reading up on some marketing methods and still performing a lot, etc... I am planning on going door to door and trying to deliver a short ad I have made up in this fashion

I need to know is there any law or anything that says I am not allowed to put these in someone's mailbox or inside there screen door, on a car windshield or anything like that??

I think someone told me that technically, putting anything like this (flyers) in a mailbox may be illegal??

Any advice or clarification would be helpful...

Thanks,
-Ari

Post subject: Re: Door to door pamphlets??
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:23 pm 
Team Penguin

Hey there Ari!

I'm not sure where you live (laws vary from state to state), but generally it's considered mail tampering (whether you went through their mail or not). Just as a general rule, I'd stay clear of it. I'm almost certain there are rules against putting fliers in windshields as well, but it's so commonplace that it would be impossible to regulate.

My advice would be to go around to every local diner and store and ask about leaving fliers there. The majority of the locations will allow it, and I've had a lot of business result from doing that. 4

In addition, instead of going door to door, find a festival around where you live. Go to the festival and do magic for people (in standard David Blaine fashion). When finished, hand out a business card or a brochure. Less intrusive than someone's home and you will be able to hit a LOT more people that way.

Hope that helps!
-Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:16 pm 
born to perform.

Yea thanks for the idea. I do that already. I will give the diner, restaurant thing a shot. I wanted to know if I could get in trouble with the door to door thing. Thanks though man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:28 pm 

Door flyers take an immediate trip to the trash can for me. Religious tracts and invitations to church services get the same treatment only they're torn up first.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:05 am 

Door flyers, if put in the door, legally vary from city to city.

Door flyers, if put in a person's mailbox will get you a visit from the postal inspectors, telling you that you have committed a FEDERAL CRIME. Now the good thing is that if this is a first violation, the inspectors will generally inform you, iuf this is a second violation. Well your soul belongs to God but your butt belongs to tghe federal penitentiary.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:53 am 
born to perform.

For putting a piece of paper in someone's mailbox!? Isn't that what its for? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:47 am 
born to perform.

BalukMagic wrote:
For putting a piece of paper in someone's mailbox!? Isn't that what its for? :roll:

They probably don't like random people opening the mailbox, because you may be removing mail instead of inserting new mail. Just a theory.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:21 pm 

By federal law the only people allowed to put anything in the mailbox is either the owner of the box or a post office letter carrier. (used to be called a "mailman")

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:31 am 
born to perform.

Even though the mailbox belongs to the homeowner it is considered federal property. Only postage paid mail is allowed. If you want to stamp each flyer, have at it. A 2 or 3 cent stamp should be enough.
http://www.abodia.com/1/postage/
I have mailed items for 3 cents per ounce successfully on more than one occasion, including 8x10 photos and car plates.

In regards to going door to door the regulations are usually municipality based and not state laws and are only commercial in nature. Meaning if you were to receive a citation they are quite easy to take care of without having to pay.

Leaving flyers on car windshields is fine unless it is being done on private property such as a shopping mall parking lot and you are asked to stop. If you were to continue then there is the risk of a trespassing charge.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:14 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
By federal law the only people allowed to put anything in the mailbox is either the owner of the box or a post office letter carrier. (used to be called a "mailman")

Has/would anyone actually be charged by this law if done for merely putting a flyer i nthe box...

I say go ahead.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:22 pm 
born to perform.

Turns out the fine appears to only be $300. That could easily be taken care of without actually having to pay using proper procedure.

Payment of Postage

Recipients should not submit any mail without postage to a mailbox, according to the USPS Recipient Services (3.1 Use for Mail). This includes items the sender places inside the mailbox, attaches to the mailbox or hangs outside the mailbox. If a letter carrier finds materials in a mailbox without postage, he can charge the recipient for it.
Fine Fee

Distributing flyers or other forms of mail in mailboxes is against the law. In Chapter 83 of "Crimes and Criminal Procedures" on the Justia U.S. Laws website (Title 18, Section 1725), it states that a person who distributes flyers in mailboxes must pay a fine. This law gives the U.S. Postal Service ownership of mailboxes. As of 1994, the cost of the fine was $300. This law includes the illegal distribution of bills, accounts, money, circulars and any other mail.
Removal of Flyers

If a person puts flyers in mailboxes, residents may remove them, since they might consider them "junk mail." The recipient of the flyers can also take legal action against the sender.
http://www.ehow.com/list_7216408_conseq ... ilbox.html