View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help in choosing cups and balls
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:00 am 
Penguin

Hello everyone,

Ok so this is the first time I'm using these forums and i didn't really know where to post it.

I was interested in buying a cups and balls set but there are so many different types on the site so I wanted some advice on which one to choose. I wanted some good quality ones but then there are so many different options and I'm not sure of the specs and all that. Also which book or DVD would be good to learn from. :?

Post subject: Re: Help in choosing cups and balls
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:53 pm 
Team Penguin

Hey there Abasith!

I'm working on a blog post about this as we speak! However, for now:

I ALWAYS recommend buying two sets. One that's a pretty nice, durable set and the other one a cheaper practice set. Below are the two I recommend.

My personal favorite performance cups are the Penguin Cups (and not just because I work here!). They're priced reasonably and they're VERY high quality cups. The mouth load is a good size for most final loads in routines, and they're DURABLE. I can't tell you how many times that I've dropped mine and they still look just fine. If you take care of them, they'll last you a lifetime.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/742

As for another set, I recommend the Wooden Uday cups. It's almost impossible to break or scuff them, so they make an ideal set when learning and practicing the moves.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2032

That's why I buy two sets: whenever I'm learning a new move or practicing a new routine, I use my wooden ones. Then when I get booked for a show, I pull out my Penguin Cups. The Penguin Cups can take a beating, but they'll last so much longer if you don't use them for practice. Plus, the cost of both of those sets is less than one set of some more expensive cups.

As far as learning resources go, Michael Ammar's DVDs are good, Gazzo's DVD is good... but my favorite cups and balls routine of all time is David Regal's. On volume 2 of David's Tricks DVD set, you get to learn an absolutely INCREDIBLE routine with cups and balls, but more importantly, you'll learn many of the standard moves (definitely enough to create your own routine with).

Hope that helps!
-Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:46 pm 
Penguin

Hey Popchris thanks for the reply. I'll make sure I read your blog. Could you please send me a link of the DVDs by David Regal that you recommended, I couldn't find em. And could you also tell me how I see your blog. Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:08 pm 
Team Penguin

The blog is blog.penguinmagic.com. It should be up sometime before the end of this week.

As far as the David Regal DVD, the link is:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4513

All the best!
-Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:34 am 

Popchris is right on with his suggestion. However, if you start busking on the streets I and some others here do, then you will have to go to a little bit more expensive set. Gazzo's run about $600 for a set but the3se last a LONG time. I use Johnson cups, they run about $250 a set. The difference is that on the street your equipment takes a serious beating, passing out to audience so they see them, dropping the bloody things, all kinds of crap. If you're doing other venues then the copper cups are the best.