View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tired of Card Tricks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:17 pm 
Penguin

Maybe it's just me, but I am really tired of card tricks being the predominant medium that is being released these days. It seems like everyone's favorite effect has to do with cards. Meanwhile, I am carrying cards less and less with me when I perform since they are so "expected". The best and most practiced card trick I always do is Wayne Houchin's "Stigmata" and that trick is an even bigger when you use the business card method! Maybe it's just me, but I think the magi society should move more toward concepts like the center tear rather than the newest way to do a one handed DL. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Tired of Card Tricks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:12 pm 
Team Penguin

It's interesting that you mention that. Close-up magic goes through trends... I'll see months where it's almost 100% card tricks, then I'll see other months that hundreds of coin effects are released. It really depends on whats popular at the time.

I like seeing card tricks, but I agree that it can get tiring after a while. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:44 pm 
Penguin

T11 just came out with their "6" new releases. ALL CARD TRICKS AND CARDS. [edited] is that?? it's one package of 4 decks of cards that I don't even like the look of and two card tricks. wow... That is the biggest dump campaign I have seen in awhile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

DidymusJames wrote:
T11 just came out with their "6" new releases. ALL CARD TRICKS AND CARDS. [edited] is that?? it's one package of 4 decks of cards that I don't even like the look of and two card tricks. wow... That is the biggest dump campaign I have seen in awhile.

Hahah I totally agree. I thought it was hilarious how they counted the four cards as four different products even though they come as a set. And yeah I'm so tired of literally EVERY release being centered around a new deck of cards, un-cut sheets, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:23 pm 
Penguin

Really, I think it comes down to the young folks just starting out. To a degree, these kids are being sold the idea that the best tricks are done with cards and the point of magic is to have this "High Holy Collection" of commemorative decks and uncut sheets. To me, I would much rather have a collection comprised of a swami gimmick, a few business cards, a universal pull, and one of the many TTs. Those four items can make more miracles than a Svengali deck (yes, they could). Furthermore, decks of cards and card tricks in general are usually the most expensive tools used today. Who would pay $5-7 per deck?

Sorry to get on the ol' soap box, but I really believe if half the energy put into making the newest version of Ambitious Card was invested into creating a new mentalism, or even coin, concept, I think we would have something really cool on our hands that would actually leave the spectator with more to say than "The card rose out of the pack.". Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:02 am 
born to perform.

I agree with the phases:

Last year when Ponta-The-Smith came out with Sick. Every trick on Penguin, T11, E were all coin tricks. And then some companies started making custom coins for performing and such. I'll be honest I have been doing magic for a good 5 - 6 years now and I don't think I know more than 5DL, and even then I only use pushover and strike regularly, I find pretty much all others are useless.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 am 
Penguin

More than anything, I find it hard to escape. I, myself, am trying to get away from card tricks and cards in general because I feel they mark me as "generic". I have started getting into impromptu mentalism and loops and I like the little niche I have made for myself.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 pm 
Penguin

I, myself, am trying to get away from card tricks and cards in general because I feel they mark me as "generic". I have started getting into impromptu mentalism and loops and I like the little niche I have made for myself.

If you ever caught a performace of "Ricky Jay and His 52 Assistants" or been blessed to view one of the rare tapes, card magic wouldn't make you feel "generic."

But we can't all be Ricky Jay, and I agree that the ubiquitious nature of card tricks makes it difficult to find a niche there as a performer. I prefer to use card magic as a tool in other areas such as mentalism, or card tricks where the cards share the billing with some other effect, as in Bill Abbott's "Stabbed and Shot."