View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The 10 Commandments of Restraunt magic. Help?
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 pm 
Penguin

Can some one find me the 10 Commandments of Restraunt Magic? I can't seem to be able to locate them. I really want to read them.

Post subject: Re: The 10 Commandments of Restraunt magic. Help?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:38 am 
born to perform.

A bit late but I don't login too often but here they are:

"1. THOU SHALT NOT be rude, flippant, arrogant, disrespectful or sarcastic to customers. A word of complaint from a paying customer to a manager in today's economy and its bye bye, Mr. Magic

2. THOU SHALT NOT blow off your restaurant gig for a private one unless you have a prior agreement with the establishment. Sure... the private ones pay more, but there's more security and regularity with the restaurant. Don't risk it!

3. THOU SHALT NOT let any of the management staff see you doing nothing. These are times when any restaurant is slow. If that's the case, plan to spend more time at each table....but keep busy!

4. THOU SHALT NOT get in the way of the waitstaff. Make sure that, when the food comes, you wrap up the effect you're doing and move on. If the table is really into it, promised to come back at the end of the meal. That brings us to number....

5. THOU SHALT NOT promise to return to a table if you don't think you can. The people will end up waiting for you, preventing the table from turning. This is a huge no-no. This, number...

6. THOU SHALT NOT go to a table if you see doggie bags or the check on the table. The waitstaff depending on turning their tables a certain number of times a night. Don't tie it up!!

7. THOU SHALT NOT blatantly advertise your outside services while performing at the restaurants hire. If asked, pass a business card and invite the customer to call for rates and booking info. Do not market yourself on the restaurants time!

8. THOU SHALT NOT do anything that affect the restaurants ambiance or appearance without clearing it with management first. tricks that draw unusual amounts of attention (fire tricks, etc), or that mark the physical plant in some way (card on ceiling, for example) should always be discussed with the powers-that-be first

9. THOU SHALT NOT leave early, even if its slow. Its not your fault if its a slow night. The restaurant made a commitment to you for a certain amount of time. They must stick by it!

10. THOU SHALT NOT tell any of the others who are workers in the restaurant how much you're making. Chances are, you're making LOTS more than they are and if they find out, it could be trouble."

The Magic Menu
March/April 1991 Volume 1. Issue 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:55 am 

Thanks Orcishorde, I just saw the post myself. There are a couple extra ones too that we don't think about because we "THINK" that no one could be THAT STUPID. Remember that Bob Heinlein wrote "never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

#1 forgotten rule Thou shall be clean and fresh smelling when approaching people. Yes I know but I have heard complaints from some and even seen it where a person smelled BAD!! a mixture of sweat and feces because he didn't change his clothes and his underwear was not fresh. Thank your diety that I hose seen this a couple of times in 17 years of performing.

#2 NEVER be surprised or show surprise at anything you see, hear, etc. I was a performer that appeared at one restaurant on Mothers day and valentines day and a couple time a year. Nice because the 1 & 2 shows pay way more than a weekly gig ($400 compared to $60) well one year we hadn't got called for mother's day so my wife called and spoke to the new G.M. He actually said "we don't do that" and hung up. Well I went into the place because we had a very good relationship with them and the head server & hostess recognized me so I asked them about the new GM's rudeness. Turns out a kid, yes a KID a dam 15 yr old little brat offered to work for tips only and the new man said Yea. First Sunday there, he's doing his 1 balloon dogs and swords when he approaches a table with Husband, wife and c child plus a new baby, like maybe a month old. Mama pulls out her"portable milking machine" (yep she pulled it out of her nursing brassiere and starts to feed the baby. Twister stops, stares at her feeding baby with his mouth open like a Ubangi with a broken hinge. Needless to say this got Mama & hubby really urinated off. They talked to the manager, the kid was fired on the spot, right in front of God and the restaurant and buskers have never been allowed back to that restaurant. That was almost 10 years ago. Hey this is a GOOD LIFE, I'm 68 yrs old (today, gotta brag that I made it this long.) and have done tis for almost 20 years. Just use common sense when dealing with the public

Paddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:33 am 
born to perform.

Off subject : Happy Birthday Paddy !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:43 am 
born to perform.

@Paddy, Happy Birthday

And seems that these days common sense is overrated. #1 is just shocking, #2 is unfortunate but both common sense, how some of these guys ever even get work in the first place surprises me

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:34 pm 

Thanks guys. Looking to be a great rear for me. Screw it I am not going to try to correct that one but I will say great YEAR for me. No the first word there was not a joke just a real screw up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:23 pm 
born to perform.

Happy Belated Birthday, Paddy! So glad to know that you are still kicking around and performing. Thank You for your continued contribution to this forum.