View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello Everyone
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:16 pm 
Penguin

Hello everyone,

I'm new to both Penguin Magic and magic in general so I figured I would introduce myself. My name is Jacob, I'm 15, and I live in Texas. I started playing around with magic when I was 12, I got a wizard deck, a svengali deck, a cups and balls set, a normal deck, a couple of TERRIBLE books with a few awful tricks in them and a few other cheesy, cheapo, props. I practiced, learned a few tricks, picked up Magic for Dummies and worked through the card section part of that book and then performed a few tricks for people. This lasted for about a week. After that, I pretty much quit learning and practicing magic.

About 2 months ago, I found those old props so I picked them up, read through the trick books, and magic for dummies again and I found a new passion. I love magic. I love everything about it. I love learning, I love practicing, I love performing, I love thinking of new ways to use sleights, and possibly my favorite part is getting to give people a moment of amazement and joy. I was looking for somewhere to get quality magic items and books and found Ellusionist. Although I believe it is slightly overpriced, the community on the forums is fantastic. They gave me a list of props, some basic books, and a general direction on where to start. I've been working through the card, coin, and impromptu section of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic practicing a little bit every day and trying to learn the essential basics. Don't worry, I'm taking my time as that was something the people over at E stressed I had to do when learning the basics. Now, two days ago I finally got enough spending money to make my next purchase. I've purchased basic props (cards, sponge balls, quality cups and balls, silks, rope, basic gaff cards, etc.) and I ordered Royal Road to Card Magic, Magic and Showmanship, and Modern Coin Magic. So, I will be working on getting down the basics and some general knowledge in every area of magic.

This being said, I have already decided what I want to do in my magic career and what types of places I want to work. In a couple of years when I have down the basics, have created/learned a number of quality routines and can perform them nearly to perfection I want to do restaurant magic. I don't intend for magic to be my full time job later in life, but I plan on working as a magician at restaurants through college, some of high school, and possibly even after that it just depends how well I do and how skilled I become.

Alright, so now that y'all have a good idea of who I am, what I want to do, and where I am at in terms of magic I'd love any advice or just a general greeting. I'm a generally open minded person, I encourage any and all advice, and aside from that I'm really looking forward to becoming involved in the penguin community. After reading a number of various threads, it seems like this will be another vital support system for advice, critique, and help anytime I need it in my magic career as well as just being a great place to socialize.

That is it for my introduction, I just thought I should say hi and let everyone know who I am before getting to involved as I plan on sticking around and coming here anytime I need help.

P.S. One thing I would like as far as advice goes is how do you develop a performing character such as a stage persona. I love comedy magic and I'm generally a very sarcastic and joking person so I figure I would go something along those lines. I have already been told that I need to have a set character so I can make my magic performances more enjoyable instead of just a "See this, this is your card, now I'm going to make your card disappear" performance. So, how do or did all of you develop a character? Is it always changing? Is a stage persona necessary or can just being yourself be sufficient?

Post subject: Re: Hello Everyone
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:26 pm 
born to perform.

What part of Texas?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:29 pm 
Penguin

Near Houston.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:37 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
After reading a number of various threads, it seems like this will be another vital support system for advice, critique, and help anytime I need it in my magic career as well as just being a great place to socialize.

A local magic club will be 100 times better than this board will be. Especially since this place is so dead now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:34 pm 
Penguin

That is the problem, I live an hour outside of Houston and the closest magic store is in Houston. I don't know if there are any clubs in Houston and even if there is a club it would be difficult for me to get involved as I'm so busy with school. Football, tennis, licoln douglas debate, one act play, and just normal classes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:48 pm 
Penguin

Hello Jacob. Flappy here. (Although a lot of the forum knows me as bckid or manicana...but that's not important.)

What is important is you...I suppose, since you started this thread.
I recently came back to the Penguin forums after a very very very very very very...........long time.

I recently began learning the fundamentals of card magic. And I plan to continue learning them, but I warn you it is very tedious.

Blah blah blah, other things, blah blah. I'm glad to hear you want to start with a good foundation. That's something I ignored when I first started in magic, and that's what, unfortunately, pushed me very far away from the art. However, I am older and more mature now, and I am truly interested in learning those basics. (I'm only doing card magic at this point. I figure there's tons of it, literally thousands of sleights, tricks, ideas, etc. around.

So you said you bought Royal Road to Card Magic. An excellent book, a book that I am still, after several weeks, only on the first chapter of. Why? because the overhand shuffle is so essential and has so much potential, it's necessary. But along this note, I HIGHLY recommend Jason England's video tutorial on the overhand shuffle. It's extremely in depth and he is very clear on how it should be performed as well as giving you a lot of material to work with and master, and he makes the terminology easy to understand. You can find that video at Theory 11, another site with a good group of people and a lot of amazingly talented artists.

I dunno what else to say, welcome to the forums, welcome to magic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:31 am 
born to perform.

Jacob, You asked about being yourself or inventing a character. It really is better to be yourself and mold the magic you learn, around your own personality. This way, both you and the magic will shine! If you feel the necessity to create a character, you mentioned you are from Texas. Perhaps you could exploit the image of a stereotypical Cowboy. Learn some rope magic and perform in the best western gear you own...stetson, chaps, spurs, leather vest, dungarees, boots...the whole works. I think you could add some comedic interludes and really play with this type of character. Other than that, just keep thinking outside the box and whatever you decide...will be great I'm sure.