View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magician's Insurance Policy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:04 am 
Penguin

So I was asked by a friend to perform for him at a venue. Nothing big, I'll only be on stage for like 3 to 5 minutes tops. I don't want to lug out anything heavy or big, and the stage is more so a parlor from what he's described. I figured I'll stick with card magic since it's light on the baggage and I can perform some walk arounds.

I recently had an idea, I figured the simpler the better. I'm not getting paid, more so I'm just doing a favor for a friend but, here's an idea I had for my routine.

So to begin my performance, I walk on stage talking on the phone, feigning ignorance to how I'm about to start the show. I make some comments about how yes I received the package for my insurance policy, but the envelope was empty. I proceed to show them a huge manilla envelope, I'll just make a false flap inside the envelope to cover the policy, it seems the easiest for me. Anyways, I proceed to make some gestures like turning it upside down and so forth to ensure that its empty.

I then begin the actual card routine, where I make the force and do the big reveal in which I fail 2 or 3 times. This is where I begin to get flustered, and pull out my cellphone again, calling the agency. I reiterate how I'm currently failing the magic trick, saying I'm on stage right now, and making random comments like "of course I'm using a deck of cards." or "No. This is not David Copperfield" and finally after a few laughs, I finally lead it on to where I say "yes, I need my insurance policy so I can get off scott free, of course I checked the envelope, it's not in there!"

I then take the previously empty envelope and produce the said Policy. I act stunned and quickly hang up my cellphone, going straight through the policy, to finally produce the great reveal.

How does that sound? Too cheesy? I'm not sure, but it seems like a very fun idea and I just love performing the Magician's Insurance policy in general.

Post subject: Re: Magician's Insurance Policy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:21 am 
born to perform.

It sounds like a good plan! How much time do you have? If you have enough, then perhaps you can make sound coming out of the phone so that everybody can hear it (once it's on "speaker phone"). This way they can hear somebody actually talking to you. It is not definitely needed, but it could be a nice touch when done in the right way.

Kind of like the vanishing bandanna.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:26 pm 
Penguin

That's brilliant! I wonder why I haven't thought of that. I could make it like one of the typical Operator Voices from like the 50s. It'd definitely add a huge spark to my performance. Well, I'm going to perform on the 29th, so I'd say I have a considerable amount of time just to work out kinks, but adding a layer of voice to the phone side would definitely make it more memorable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:42 pm 
Penguin

Location: Hattiesburg, MS or Provo, UT Depending on the season.
If you have a smart phone just record half of a conversation with the voice recorder. Then when you "make a call" you just hit play on the voice recording. Just be sure to leave blank spaces for you to talk in. It'll make it super realistic, and for the person on stage they'll get an extra treat since they'll be close enough to hear the phone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 pm 
Penguin

Isn't there an effect like that already? Or atleast a patter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 am 

mbl16 wrote:
Isn't there an effect like that already? Or atleast a patter

Yes there is, it's been around for YEARS