View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Thoughts on gaffs in advertising.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am 
Team Penguin

Hey there guys!

I've recently been reading through magazines from the 1970's-1990's and I noticed one thing. In every single advertisement for a product that uses a classic gaff, they name the gaff. For example:

- Coin Transposition: A very creative use for an expanded shell.

But more recently, I see advertisements for tricks that don't even say that the trick uses a gaff. If it does say it, it never names the gaff.

What are your thoughts on explaining what the gaff is in the advertisement?

Post subject: Re: Thoughts on gaffs in advertising.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 am 
Penguin

I kind of like how they used to do it, by saying the gaff. It makes it a lot easier to know what you're buying. I have bought items which say that they are a new effect, but it is actually just a gaff which I already owned.
The change may have something to do with marketing. Most magicians think that it is all about the effect because that's what the audience sees. But in reality, when you buy a trick, the method does have a lot to do with how it will be performed and whether it will work for you. This is why I think that it's better to just name the gaff so you know if it will work for you.
The only problem is that a laymen would easily be able to understand the gaff if he saw the advertisement, but I think that if it is only advertised in magicians' media, it shouldn't have much problem with exposure.

Just my take on it, Drew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:49 am 
Penguin

I'm for naming the gaff, too. As a buyer, I rarely purchase a trick where I'm not fairly sure I know how it works. I want to know what I'm getting. The threat of exposure is way overrated, and most often an excuse for companies being vague in there advertising or stingy in their return policies. (I'm talking about companies other than Penguin, as Penguin has perhaps the most open return policy in the industry.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:49 pm 
Penguin

The only thing that I like about "mom & pop" magic shops is that if you're experienced and have been doing magic for awhile, they basically tell you which gaff it uses. More than anything, "exposure" is more to keep business alive in the magic community. "exposure" is just a method of making untrue magicians the ones who actually pay for magic. A true magician shares his theories with his club or buddies to make something even better. All of us that have been in this business more than a few years have connections throughout the community and you call them because you want to talk about the latest trick and find out how it works to decide whether you'll buy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:08 pm 
Penguin

I like the description to give a good idea, or come right and say, what gaff is used. I like to be fairly well informed before I buy something.

~ And now I will contradict myself - like always. ~

Although I guess sometimes you have to pay for the idea behind the gaff. I bought Wormhole - I already owned both gaffed items required, but had not thought of using them that way. So sometimes I guess you can't give away too much. I paid for an idea, if they said what gaff it was I would have known how to do it! I would not have had to pay for it. And the creator would get no money.

It is a fine line sometimes....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:22 am 
born to perform.

The reason is:

Video Demos and trailers for tricks. If i trick says it used a coin shell, then there would be no point in buying the trick cause it would be super easy to back track the trick with that information and the demo