View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: make Straight jacket escape harder.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:16 pm 
Penguin

I bought my jacket 2 weeks ago and it fits in all but its just way to easy to escape from. I want to add chains or something to make it harder any ideas?

Post subject: Re: make Straight jacket escape harder.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
Penguin

Don't make it harder..make it funny.Funny sells.Here is my friend Steven Bargatze doing his straitjacket escape with football legend [edited] Butkus. Don't steal his routine make up a funny routine of your own.If you need help PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hd0LoXe ... r_embedded

Don

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 am 
Penguin

With all due respect, DonDriver, I would hesitate to offer that piece of advice with such confidence. Perhaps humor is not the style to which panda44721 aspires. That is not to say that humor is insignificant in the realm of magic; there are a great many successful comedy performers. If this is the way that he wants to do it, that is fantastic advice. However, if that is not a style that he wishes to pursue, or if comedy does not come naturally to him, the routine would fall flat.

After having seen five or six live straight jacket escapes, I have come to a somewhat disappointing conclusion: the performers who want to make the escape serious never commit enough to the necessary role of a struggling human being. If a person is bound in a straight jacket, that is supposed to mean that he is completely physically incapacitated with no chance of escape without assistance. This is the central focus of the escape! Some magicians make the effect into a message: "I am a magician, therefore I can easily escape from this straight jacket." That doesn't work very well, because it is more of a boast than an appreciable feat. Whether or not the jacket is actually easy to escape from is completely irrelevant. You, panda44721, as the performer, must make it appear to be the most difficult thing in the world to defeat! Part of being a magician is being able to create an illusion, and so you must create the illusion that this jacket is just as hard to remove as it should be. Remember, the straight jacket was invented to be inescapable, and that is what people expect it to be if they are to consider the escape impressive. So play the part!

Houdini used to do a straight jacket escape for which he had to dislocate his shoulder. That is one edited of a painful process, and it could be heard by the audience when he slammed his shoulder into the stage floor, and when the shoulder loudly popped out of its socket. Now, for all we know, this could have all been showmanship! So much of Houdini's reputation relies on eye witness accounts of things that people believed he'd done. Many things that he is famous for are things that he never actually did in the same manner as they were said to have been done. Houdini was the showman in magic. He knew how to make things incredible by "dressing up" whatever he intended to do. He could open a lock in ten seconds, but he would take three to five minutes slamming himself into the walls of his spirit cabinet or creating drawn out silences to make the audience wonder if this would be the occasion on which he failed to escape his bindings. Without the risk of failure, the act would fall flat.

The message here is that you don't need to add anything. All you really need to do is create the impression that this is a difficult thing to do. Adding chains would be a fantastic idea, though, because it raises the stakes in exactly that way. Consider other ways to dress up the illusion. Have a few people come up to the stage to examine the jacket's buckles and straps to ensure that they haven't been tampered with in any way. Let them search your sleeves and pockets for tools that would aid you in escaping. Tie yourself up with ropes. All of these things add nothing to the difficulty, but they create a convincing illusion, and that helps you to give a stronger performance. Most importantly, though, you must remember to struggle against these bindings with all your energy if you want a dramatic show of escapology! What would it look like if this jacket really was inescapable? Would you sweat trying to jerk your arms around? Would you grunt in frustration? Would your breathing become short and labored? What would your face communicate to the audience? Would you request that somebody help you by providing water while you take a two second rest after each step of progress? Ask yourself these questions, and answer them with realistic choreography.

On a final note, do not forget that there is a fine temporal line between rapt attention and boredom. If the escape takes three seconds, people will be unaffected. If it takes ten minutes, they will lose interest and become bored. The proper length of time will only become apparent to you through repeated performance. So pay specific attention to how long they stay poised at the edge of their seats. Make them fear for your safety or success, and I guarantee that amount of time will increase. If they fear that you won't succeed, or that you may pass out, they will be paying undivided attention to you. Don't let them expect that you'll be able to do it, and don't let them sit there with nothing to watch either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:59 am 
born to perform.

I agree, make it FUNNY!

Don, Thank You for the link. That clip and Stephen's others are some of THE most hilarious routines I have seen in a while.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 pm 
Penguin

I was thinking about making it both funny and dangerous. I was going to give myself a time limit which I come really close to making the audience on the edge or there seats. Also I was going to hide a Comb or back scratcher in my pants or jacket so i can comb my hair in the middle of escape to fix my hair. My routine that I'm in the middle of creating is funny, and jaw dropping,(well trying to be) doing this in the middle of the crowd and using as many people from the audience as possible on stage in every one of my effects. Im only 19 years old and have been doing magic since I was 13. I came a long way and want to get paid for it now. I do feel that I have talent it just coming up with my own effects that I can do in my act.( I hate doing other people magic) My closing affect is mine and i have been doing it for about a year to my friends and on the streets. It blows peoples minds because it so impossible but so simple. Thanks so much for your guys responses.

Dylan Christ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:02 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
Satanica wrote:
You, panda44721, as the performer, must make it appear to be the most difficult thing in the world to defeat! Part of being a magician is being able to create an illusion, and so you must create the illusion that this jacket is just as hard to remove as it should be. Remember, the straight jacket was invented to be inescapable, and that is what people expect it to be if they are to consider the escape impressive. So play the part!

Agreed. I agree with you panda as well as it's EASY to escape from the jacket but as the quote above me says you have to give the illusion of how hard it is. Now I do a routine with it as well which makes it seem impossible but struggling and falling on the floor and thinking of ways to get out BUT FAILING then at the end come with another method of escaping makes the illusion great. For example I try putting my feet on the straps and tug away as to get my arm out of the sleeves but I fail miserably but then use another method (unbuckling some straps) which I escape.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:05 pm 
born to perform.

Location: Ruby city next to the Emerald city. Bob is wearing the Emerald Sneakers.
panda44721 wrote:
I was thinking about making it both funny and dangerous. I was going to give myself a time limit which I come really close to making the audience on the edge or there seats. Also I was going to hide a Comb or back scratcher in my pants or jacket so i can comb my hair in the middle of escape to fix my hair. My routine that I'm in the middle of creating is funny, and jaw dropping,(well trying to be) doing this in the middle of the crowd and using as many people from the audience as possible on stage in every one of my effects. Im only 19 years old and have been doing magic since I was 13. I came a long way and want to get paid for it now. I do feel that I have talent it just coming up with my own effects that I can do in my act.( I hate doing other people magic) My closing affect is mine and i have been doing it for about a year to my friends and on the streets. It blows peoples minds because it so impossible but so simple. Thanks so much for your guys responses.

Dylan Christ

Using people in EVERY effect is a bit extreme I'd say. Not trying to knock you down but EVERY effect involving spectators is time consuming and you need time for just yourself as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:59 am 
Penguin

It's not the degree of difficulty to escape that matters, but the amount of showmanship you put into making it look difficult.