View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Using other magic tricks in ur magic productions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:57 pm 
Penguin

Hi, I have some phenomenal new routines in my mind that I want to put out on dvd. Of course part of some of the routines can consist of existing tricks or moves like bringing a card back to the top. I'm a newb so I was wondering how this is done within the magic world. Can you just use a pass or something, or is it standard for magic creators to just to a simple cut-move to bring back a card to the top. So far as I know all my other stuff is original so I was just wondering.

Post subject: Re: Using other magic tricks in ur magic productions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:00 pm 
born to perform.

Well,

You aren't going to find answers to questions like that here. That's called EXPOSURE!

Also, if you are brand new to the field, why are you rushing to put things out on dvd? How would you know if the ideas are even original if you can't even think of a good method for a simple top control?

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:54 pm 
born to perform.

I am not really sure what it is...you are asking. Do you want to know if you can use well known sleights, moves etc. to accomplish your magic tricks...on your DVD? I would say...that yes, you can. However, teaching those techniques would border into the Intellectual Property debate. I think you could safely teach your magic tricks...then reference the sources of those sleights, moves etc. Telling viewers where to learn those techniques is okay...as opposed to teaching them. With that said, you should research all possible sources for learning and cite the inspirations for your magic tricks...giving credit, where credit is due.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:05 pm 
Team Penguin

Hey there Lennart!

Good to hear that you're being creative and coming up with original material! It's always a good thing to have something that's "you" in your own performances.

Unfortunately, what you asked is difficult to answer and is widely debated in the magic world. It really comes down to two things:

1) How widely known the move is. If something still actively sells or is a bread and butter piece, it's terribly unethical to put it on a DVD without explicit permission. That being said, if it's something like the tilt or the french drop (old and widely known), it's generally okay. If you're teaching the thumb palm, that should be fine. If you're teaching the Clipshift, then that's not ethical.

2) How original your routine is. If you invented an absolutely incredible routine that happens to use a tenkai palm (widely known), you shouldn't have any problems. Think about it like this: "What am I adding to this?" If you have a hard time answering that question or you're just combining several different moves, it's probably either been done before or isn't worth releasing.

Again, try not to think about releasing material when you first think about it or are creating it. I did a video about this a while ago; it completely destroys creativity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_HmbGyCDKc

Hope that helps!

All the best,
-Chris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:47 pm 
Penguin

he is asking if he can teach a move like the double undercut on his dvd with his tricks, and the answer is yeah as long as the move isnt belonging to somone alive who would care, sankey teaches the double undercut on almost every dvd and BTP:CM teaches the pass neither of which were invented by the teacher.
Now I will also say dont makyou make this dvd if you are that new to magic, you may be teaching something that does really belong to somone else, even if you came up with it , you dont wana go to jail for copyright infringement.