View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cool idea for a stunt for David blaine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 pm 
Penguin

I am a huge David blaine fan. He is the one, and I'm sure Manu others is who got me into magic. I love his mental power he has by pushing his body to near death with his endurance feats but I haven't liked his more recent ones and don't feel like he is pushing his body/mind to the limits like he did n vertigot(which is my favorite stunt he has done), frozen in time and 44 days etc, etc. I hated the thi g he did with getting shocked cause that would of been safe for Anyone to do, here is an idea I though would make a cool stunt for him. Have him sky dive in a straitjacket with no parachute and have him escape then quickly put the parachute on. What do y'all think? Think he should try something like that? I would also like to hear Ny of y'all's ideas for a stunt you wish he would do

Post subject: Re: Cool idea for a stunt for David blaine
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:36 pm 
born to perform.

I hate to be THAT guy...but David is an illusionist. That's what he does. Most of his 'stunts' merely create the illusion of danger and intense mental/physical durability. David himself is rarely ever in real danger when performing his stunts. A skydive straightjacket escape sounds pretty cool...also sounds a bit like a death wish. But I'm sure him and his team could find a completely safe way to do it. That being said, I'm not sure if it's really his style.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:45 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Yeah David does not put himself in real danger, not life threatening danger so that would be a stupid stunt. I got a better idea, stop the stupid stunts and get back to more magic which is what made you famous.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:31 pm 
born to perform.

Well I hate to think being frozen in a block of ice for 64 hours is not dangerous? Or not eating for 44 days is not dangerous. I agree that his latest stunt the hardest thing he had to do was stay awake, but there is real danger in the stuff he does. But good news he said he is not doing anymore endurance stunts after the last one and he is going to focus on taking his magic to the stage and tour it around the world.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:20 am 
born to perform.

ScottO wrote:
Well I hate to think being frozen in a block of ice for 64 hours is not dangerous?

Like I said, David creates the illusion of danger and physical/mental durability. He created the illusion of being frozen in a block of ice for 64 hours. I don't want to expose anything here...or be too much of a party pooper...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:58 pm 
born to perform.

It cracks me up how both Escape/Stunt artists and Mentalists can buffalo even other magicians with pseudo methods. Just saw some thing on the history channel where they were investigating Houdini's mysterious death. In it they stated as fact that he had taught himself to swallow and regurgitate lock picks. Magicians are always popping up on forums asking about Derren's "NLP and PUA techniques," both of which he has specifically criticized as being over hyped.

Let this be a lesson to all of us. Learn some clever pseudo methods to feed people and they will buy it almost without question!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:09 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Blaine is a magician not a stuntman. That is the illusion he creates. He was in no serious danger during any of his stunts. I also find it funny yet baffling that so many magicians are fooled and believe that he is actually doing these stunts. The masked magician even did a show exposing how Blaine did some of them which was pretty much dead on. Let's just say Blaine was not in the ice all that time, and his attire made it very easy to not notice. I am not going to "expose" his stunts as most of the info can be found already and it is not my place to do so. The fact that many believe that they are real stunts only proves that he is a great entertainer and is doing his job well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:35 pm 
born to perform.

Sorry, but I am not convinced that a guy in a masked that gave his interpretation on how David Blaine did his stunts is right. How do you explain Buried Alive, Vertigo, Drowned Alive or Above the Below? Were they sneaking him hamburgers through the tube he pee'd in?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:49 am 
Emperor Penguin

I can explain all of those but like I said it is not my job to expose him. The masked magician was only one source and there have been others who have explained every stunt that Blaine did, and are pretty much common sense and all the pieces fit together perfectly. Don't believe anything you see on TV as it is even easier to cheat. You may want to look up those shows as they pretty much explained all of those stunts and how Blaine was able to survive each one. Or just remain a "believer". The source of the info does not matter, what matters is if it makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:27 pm 
born to perform.

Scotto...you should really study Houdini's escapes. Probably the best example is the Milk can. There is some inherent danger in the effect but not nearly as much the hype going into the effect. If you don't know what you are doing you can easily kill yourself doing the Milk Can escape but if you are well trained and you make absolutely sure your equipment is operable it can be done safely. That said only an idiot showman would get up in front of an audience and say, "Don't worry this is perfectly safe if your trained to do it!"

While I am at it...think of a much simpler effect than that. Straight Jacket! If Houdini was dislocating his shoulder and training for years to contort himself for the straight jacket escape then he was doing it the hard way. I'm out of shape, can't dislocate a shoulder, never trained under an Indian Fakir, and I got my time under 30 seconds in an afternoon of practice. So from that moment forward I spent most my time working on how to make it look more impossible than it is!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:09 pm 
born to perform.

I like debating this, just because somebody said how they think he done it, doesn't make them right. Why should I believe them anymore then I believe that he actually did it? And I didn't just witness it on TV, I saw him twice live in person. And I agree, he is a trained professional that trains his body to endure what he has to do. Anyone could say, oh well he used a hollow graphic imagine and he wasn't there, OMG your so right! I beileve and I'm not saying anything bad about you guys who don't believe. We all have a right to think what we do. But I don't like when somebody says for a fact that he cheated, when only God, Blaine and his team really knows.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:35 am 
born to perform.

Not saying I know how it is all done....That is not the point. The point is that you are watching a magician and not a stunt man. "Houdini was trained as a magician, not a daredevil, he took fewer chances than audiences ever suspected." (Jim Steinmeyer, Hiding The Elephant, p.152)

I would be surprised if Blaine is much different considering his background.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 am 
born to perform.

Yeah I know I wasn't debating about that. David doesn't even consider himself a stunt man but an endurance artist. All thought as I said some of his feats are something probably anybody could do if they wanted to, but there are some health risks involved and a lot of training to go through. It wouldn't be a walk in the park. But it is a joy to watch him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:40 am 
born to perform.

Sure. No doubt about that. Hanging upside down for all that time. Standing on a pole. I also like to believe that his holding his breath deal was legit since Guiness Book of world records sponsored it. I hate to think Magicians are using their "skills" to cheat on things like that.