View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Apps
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Ok so my son told me he was buying me a new cell phone for Christmas since my dumbphone is about toast. He is getting me a Samsung Galaxy III. Now does anyone know of some good magic apps for this phone?? I loved Mental Killer by Kraus (Wizard product review this week) but so many are for the I-phone as is that one. I would like something similar. Check the review out and any recommendations is appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Magic Apps
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:50 pm 
born to perform.

If Mental Killer or iPredict were converted over to that platform, both are exceptional.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:53 pm 
Site Admin

I guess all these purveyors of apps for phones own Apple products. Hello?? How about the rest of us!! Thanks for the Nest of Wallets review, it is next on my list!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:24 pm 
born to perform.

If you use Rostimi's app for the Android, go here to get an extra effect which would be kinda cool:

http://rostamimagic.com/Dialed!.pdf

Performance here:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:13 pm 
Penguin

If you haven't seen this discussion in the "closeup" section, you may want to check it out. It's more about cell phone magic in general, but has some good ideas:
viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=159952

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:32 pm 
Penguin

Coin in phone is perfect, I think that's also by Greg. Any coin, sounds when the coin goes in and out, customizable timing, everything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:55 pm 
born to perform.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159563

I review tonnes of apps

I recommend Premonition, NFW and Card to phone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:53 am 
born to perform.

Posted elsewhere by another...

If you use an android phone, this might interest you, and hopefully be added into your arsenal of effects. For Iphone users, I'm not sure whether they have such an App.

Here's a brief effect overview-
You tell a spectator that you know her(his) birth year/date/hour..in fact it is your lock screen password. Do whatever patter suits you. I use the I had a dream last night patter.

So you ask her to type it into your password lock screen and it works. All other password combinations fail except hers.

If you don't like that there's also the option of a normal locker screen (Android) and she can open it without fail or by drawing a picture. (Picture drawing prediction effect)

Setup:
Go to the market and download the application, Go Locker. You might need to download go launcher first but don't worry both of them are free. Then use that locker as your default locker screen. Go to settings, make sure emergency unlock is ticked and you're ready to go for as many times as you want.

Method:
You can go into this effect anytime just whip out your phone.
Patter- My patter goes somewhat like- I dreamt last night I would meet you today (blah blah blah) and knew what numbers are in your phone number ...or something about the day and month she was born.
Slide open to reveal the unlock screen. Show that not any number pressed can open the lock screen. In fact if you feel daring you can pass the phone around. No one should accidentally press the secret button.
Take the phone back (This is the only dirty part) Hold your phone such that your index and middle finger just lies on your volume button. It should look innocuous. (This is for left handers. Right handers have their thumb on the volume down button.)

Ask her to input her digits one by one. When she enters the last digit press down on the volume down button to trigger emergency unlock. It seems like she unlocks the phone with her password. Cheers all around!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

I'm admittedly a little behind the curve in recent magic developments, but I've never been a fan of magic apps. The first ones to be released were pretty neat (I believe Chris Kenner and Ellusionist each had one). The problem is that both take advantage of the appearance of the OS. I think both do... I guess I can't remember for sure if Ellusionist's did or not. Anyway, the problem arises when the OS updates- specifically when the UI is revamped. It wouldn't be a problem if the developers updated their apps to mimic the most current version of the OS, but in my experience that doesn't happen. And if it does, it's gimmicky (not in the magic sense- it just usually looks slightly off) and way late. The biggest instance of this was the transition from iOS3 to iOS4. Before iOS4, all iPhones and iOS devices had a simple black background, and users weren't allowed to mess w/ it. Starting w/ iOS4, users could set their background to whatever they wanted. So the app became extremely unbelievable- nobody with a current iOS device would have a black background. Anyway, that's my two cents. I haven't found one that I liked and was excited to use, but things could have changed since the last time I checked. And my statements about Kenner's and Ellusionist's apps may be wrong, as well- I haven't opened them in a long, long time. So basically what I'm saying is that I probably didn't help you at all.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:50 pm 
Penguin

There is an Exact Change by Gregory Wilson app that he talks about in his DVD.