View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: All these marked cards...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 am 
Penguin

You can tell by this question that i am quite the novice, but here goes -

A lot of the card tricks involve someone writing on or signing the chosen card. Doesn't that eventually limit your ability to continue with that deck? I am guessing that you could throw the marked cards away and keep using the deck for another five or six tricks, but eventually it is going to be obvious that you aren't playing with a full deck. (Wonder if that isn't where that saying might have come from.)

Thanks,

Curt

Post subject: Re: All these marked cards...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:03 am 
born to perform.

EXCELLENT question!

Performers will sometimes force a card when initiating 'signed card' effects, that way they can control which cards get the ink on it. They may either buy other decks that contain only that force card perhaps the Two of Diamonds or they force a new card each ti me and replace it from another deck that they use to diminish. Those decks may be ones that were set aside after enough wear and tear on them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:37 am 
born to perform.

I do not throw away cards after they are signed. I keep going until i have about 30 cards signed then i change deck.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:56 am 
born to perform.

curtmc wrote:
Doesn't that eventually limit your ability to continue with that deck? I am guessing that you could throw the marked cards

The new trend in the UK magic community (from what I've seen on YouTube/DVD's) is to keep all the cards, marked or not. I have always left them in, and if a spectator chooses one that's already marked, I'll say "add your signature to the pile, the 3 of Hearts is popular tonight!".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:12 pm 
Penguin

I use standard Bicycle cards for all my effects, so switching out replacements is not a problem. Since I buy my cards in bulk from Costco (a little more than a buck a deck) they are pretty cheap and I don't make much of an effort to conserve. If I performed a lot more, I might think about it. But then again, I'd be making money so I probably wouldn't worry about it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:33 pm 
born to perform.

I buy cards in bulk as well. After I am done a night at a restaurant or private gig I just ditch the deck with 40 cards or so in it and start with a brand new deck every night :)

-Ari

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:25 pm 
born to perform.

Over the course of a gig, I too run down to around 20-40 cards (depends on the night, usually left with around 30)

But I have a box where I dump the used up decks, and every few months I just organize those again, and reorganize 5-10 new decks from all the leftovers that I had.

I prefer that too, cause the older cards handle much better than a fresh deck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:42 pm 
Penguin

I prefer that too, cause the older cards handle much better than a fresh deck.

Excellent point. Depending on what I am doing, I may or may not add cards to complete the 52 deck. It usually doesn't matter, unless I'm doing something like Jay Sankey's "In A Flash" where I need nearly a full deck to hide the gaff.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:57 am 
born to perform.

I usually give the signed cards away...or simply don't ask for them back. So I too fall in the "Piles of excess cards" category. There is a ton of stuff you can do with these cards. You can organize them into new decks every so often. You can also use them to make card gaffs. That is what I mostly do with the extras. You can also practice those destructive techniques with these. TnR effects, Mercury card folds, and other stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:07 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
I usually give the signed cards away...or simply don't ask for them back. So I too fall in the "Piles of excess cards" category. There is a ton of stuff you can do with these cards. You can organize them into new decks every so often. You can also use them to make card gaffs. That is what I mostly do with the extras. You can also practice those destructive techniques with these. TnR effects, Mercury card folds, and other stuff like that.

My experience with giving cards away as a "souvenir" that people don't keep those cards. Unless its like anniversary waltz or something like that or kids keep signed cards.

So if the spectator doesnt keep the card, theres no reason (in my opinion) to give them the card, and to the magician that signed card has more value by keeping it in the deck.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:47 pm 
born to perform.

keepitbottled wrote:
eostresh wrote:

My experience with giving cards away as a "souvenir" that people don't keep those cards. Unless its like anniversary waltz or something like that or kids keep signed cards.

So if the spectator doesnt keep the card, theres no reason (in my opinion) to give them the card, and to the magician that signed card has more value by keeping it in the deck.

Interesting...and true point. That said, when I say "Don't ask for it back" I simply mean that the trick is over. Generally the card is in their hands. If they go out of there way to give me the card back then I just take it but it usually goes in the "practice Mercury card fold" pile, not back in the deck. I just hate it when other spectators pick an already signed card. Don't know why....Akirafist actually has a pretty good line for that occasion! I guess it is just that at my heart I am a card guy and thus I am picky about cards. I even have enough of a collection now that I can coordinate the right cards with the right outfits and occasions!

You know, Fourniers for high born snobs wearing tweeds at a country gathering.
Anglo Rugs when a Tuxedo is required.
Bicycle Rider backs when I am performing for low class hillbillies with no taste wearing wife beaters with mustard stains. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:45 pm 
born to perform.

There was a time when only rich people could afford playing cards, because all playing cards were hand painted.