View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic rookie looking for some guidance
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:55 am 
Penguin

Hey people,
I am 31 and was amazed by a recent magic show I went to. So much so, that as soon as it finished, I immediately knew I had to learn how the tricks were done and perform them for my family and friends.
I have learned a couple of these basic tricks (making objects levitate, some Svengali card tricks, pen through money) but I'm looking for some new tricks to learn. Could anyone point me in the right direction, because as a beginner I don't have a clue where to start.

Thanks
Ps, please note I am not asking for the secrets to any tricks. Just some names of some easy beginners tricks and I will research them myself.

Post subject: Re: Magic rookie looking for some guidance
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:45 am 

Key-Rap! That is a HUGE question. Not being a smart alek here but there are so many types of magic it's a bear. Are you interested in card magic, rope magic, illusions, magic with everyday objects? The best place to start is get the FREE download from Penguin called "Free Intro to Magic." Just hit the "SHOP" at top of the page. It's a 2 hour intro that is excellent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:49 am 
born to perform.

Agreed, Penguin has TWO free magic DVD's that you can download at no cost. Watch them, and see what type of magic is good for you. That's 4 hours of magic for no investment at all.

Here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/index.php
(enter your email where it says)

and here:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3134

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:22 pm 
Penguin

Thanks folks. I'm interested in close up street style magic. Using cards, mobiles, everyday inanimate objects. I'll check out those links and hopefully get some useful information.
Also, I have been looking into extreme burn 2.0 online. Does anyone know if this is a good trick for a novice, or should I start on a smaller scale?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:47 pm 
born to perform.

Don't start buying single tricks until you've done all the tricks off those 2 free DVD's a few dozen times each. Once you've performed a lot, got pretty comfortable with "I hate this, but I LOVE that", then start shopping.

If you have a local fair or "trade days"/flea market nearby where you can rent a table for $10 during a weekend, do it. Then you can do 200+ performances in a day from people passing by, with zero hassles from security or the like.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:08 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Stay away from single tricks- they can be fun to perform if you find the right ones, but the cost adds up pretty quickly. I started out w/ books, simply because I didn't even know magic DVDs (and downloads now) even existed. I had a book called 'The Encyclopedia of Magic'. I believe it was written by Nicholas Einhorn, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I performed the [edited] out of everything in that book for at least a year before moving on, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Constant performances with simple tricks made me a somewhat decent performer before I moved on to more challenging (or expensive) tricks. Does that mean it will be the same for you? Nope. But it worked well for me, so I'm always going to recommend getting some cheap books that cover the basics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:37 am 
Penguin

Something else I've found extremely helpful is learning some of the psychology behind WHY magic works and what to do to make things more impressive. With the right presentation a very simple effect can be very powerful. Timing is one of the most important things you can learn. For example, when you spread out the deck at the end of Triumph and there is one card left face-down, don't go to turn the card over right away, just stare at it for a few seconds, let the spectators try to reason it out. If you've performed it well, they will think through all the ways you might have done it and convince themselves it's impossible. When I allow myself to slow down during the climax of a trick I always (and I mean every single time) get much bigger reactions.
Any time you can invoke an emotion it's a good thing. It doesn't matter what emotion, just get them to feel something. Ok, I should revise that. Don't EVER do anything to embarrass or anger the people you're performing for, even if you think it'll get a laugh from everyone else. As a magician you should try to entertain everyone you perform for, not just most of them.