View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Problem with new Comic Book test
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:26 am 
born to perform.

So I saw the new comic book test and thought , "Good idea." But then I started thinking about it. I have a buddy who is into comic books. Comic book people, by and large, are well versed in their own interest. A generic comic book would be pretty obvious to most of them. If you perform this you had better hope your spectator isn't a comic book person. Ironically, if they aren't comic book people then much of the impact will be lost on them.

Post subject: Re: Problem with new Comic Book test
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:27 am 
Penguin

Interesting observation. Yes, it would be better if Yoan Tanuji & Guillaume Bienne had partnered with an established comic book publisher to use a title that's really in print, preferably something well-known.

There are plenty of book tests that use "real" books, but they are almost all titles that are in the public domain. I don't know if there is such as thing as public domain comic books.

While I would prefer a comic book test with a "real" title, I'm not sure I would want to pay more to cover the magic publisher's licensing fee for a name title. I mean the trick already has a triple-digit price tag.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am 
born to perform.

Eric

I'm a huge comic book person as you know.

I think the comic book test has not been drawn in a mainstream style. Such as marvel or DC comics would draw comics, however i dont think it would be a problem to perform this to any comic book fan. Simply say its a independent comic book. There are a lot (well not a lot) of independent publishers who publish a million different books in various art styles and genres.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 pm 
born to perform.

Okay...I defer to Derrick. Just something I thought of when thinking about some of my comic book loving friends. Just seemed like they would get suspicious of a comic they hadn't heard about.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:47 pm 
Penguin

It all depends on your character. For me, it would be out of character and highly suspicious if I just happened to pull out a comic book, especially one that nobody's heard of. One of the classic book tests is more fitting of my personality and performing character. But if I was more cutting edge and avante garde, pulling out an independent comic book might be the most natural thing in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:45 pm 
born to perform.

could always have a stack of graphic novels and then use magicians choice to force the comic. it might seem more natural that way.

But even i as a fan of comics, don't really see this as better than a book test or magazine test. Its just different, not necessarily better.

Also the cover of the comic book could possibly be changed. Maybe to some crime fiction/detective comic or some European comics in which match the art style. Though really don't think any spectator would notice at all.