View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: beginning out
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:04 pm 
Penguin

Hey everyone, I have been doing magic on and off for about 10 years, mostly for friends. Now I know it doesn't take a day to get there either. For the last two to three months, I've put together a website (halifaxmagicshow.com) and ordered matching business cards. I did a few illusions, for random people on the street (2 - 3) of the best ones I can perform, knowing 100% I wont mess up. Now this is where I need some direction. I plan on getting some of those 2 - 3 performances put on the website, getting reviews on there and trying to get the name out there. In my spare time, I find practicing the magic and trying to create a fluent flow, for a better show, being a bigger hurdle. Im not asking for what tricks I should perform, as I know what ones feel right to me. but more so how much audience participation, how many highs and lows, how long...that kind of stuff...note, right now I'm referring to guathering an audience on the street / or in a reastaurant. own opinions and references, welcomed!

Post subject: Re: beginning out
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:54 pm 
Penguin

I'm not sure I understand your question. But I think you might be well-served spending some time perusing some of the other forums of the discussion section, especially the street magic and walk-around portions.

Also, if you buy the instant download of Gazzo's Second Penguin lecture, he spends a lot of time on the ins and outs of busking including how to draw a crowd. (If you are looking for specific tricks that are good for busking, buy the first lecture.)

Could you simplify or rephrase your question?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:33 pm 
Penguin

Im not really looking for the tricks, but thanks for the recommendation, on his download. I guess what Im looking for is how to build a story line to connect one trick to the next, and a dvd with magic humor. I get great responses when I perform my tricks, but right now its like okay heres a coin trick, now heres a card trick...so on and on so....trying to keep it short, and maybe Ill have to buy a few books / dvds....but I need to learn how to create story line and add humor to it! I know a lot comes with practice and just learning as you go, but an intermediate level reference would be awesome! thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 am 
born to perform.

There are very few gigs where people "story mode" works. LOTS of interruptions in the real world, and/or people get bored and start checking their phones. Food comes early, and you need to bail, the kid throws up and you need to bail, you suddenly realize you're blocking foot traffic, etc. Personally, I would ditch the story mode idealistic view of magic, unless you actually get hired for a parlour or stage.

Now onto the comedy - watch Comedy Central standups on YouTube for joke ideas, and use any that can apply to what you do. Buying a comedy magic DVD will give you some other random person's jokes, which may not appeal to you, or fit your style. Watching some videos will provide a bigger selection (for free).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:11 pm 
Penguin

I don't use a story line, per se, but I do try to establish a natural flow, where one trick will lead into another.

For example, if you do Aaron Fisher's "Panic," you end by producing a full deck of cards from your pocket, which can then lead into any number of card effects. You could even pull out a gimmicked deck.

Let's say you do Panic. When you reveal that that full deck has morphed into four kings, you then produce the deck from Jay Sankey's "In a Flash."

After completing "In A Flash," where the marked quarter "finds" the card, you could then say in jest, "So, you want to know the secret?.....I use a magic quarter.....Let me show you what else this quarter can do."

And then you go into "Deluxe Nest Of Wallets" or any other marked coin effect.

Or, if you do the B-52 Bomber or another pen through dollar effect, you can use that pen to sign a card for the next effect. (Or even better, sign that some dollar and do an impossible location trick.)

You see what I mean. Just a set of random thoughts to do with what you will.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:48 pm 
born to perform.

There is quite a selection on youtube; Tommy Wonder, Bill Malone, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:32 am 
Penguin

thanks cpniche thats more or less what I was looking for but have been having difficulty trying to put some routines together that would flow naturally. I have a lot of effects bought on here, but when i started out I bought them because I liked the effect but not on how it would fit into a routine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 pm 
Penguin

you got my creative jusices flowing a bit....could you give me some recommendations on the small current routien I have now, and how I can incorporate some of the tricks that follow...

my intro is going to be something as follows (still working on it)

well I didn't come prepared but let me try something with nothing,

coin appears, disappears then reappears

delux nest of wallets

then audio
(pass four coins around and ask for one back) also might switch walltets with audio whatever one gets the bigger reactions I will end wit

switch to cards -
-regular ambitious card (1 time)
-fax ( havent ordered yet, but am going to)-
-hole(going to order with fax)

I also have anysigned card to any wallet
bloth of oz pearlmans downlaods
along with greorgy wilsons and patrick ratchfords

also have the t.t and invisible deck....I probably newer than a lot of you, but also think im intermediate and would like to take it to the next level...any suggestions would be great!

PS Ive always been nervous using the t.t but tried it a few times with a simply bill switch and got great reactions!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm 
Penguin

I struggled with coming up with a story to tie my tricks together as well, but eventually I also starting joining them in the manner stated above, one trick "leads" to another, either because of the materials you end up with or the theme.. takes a bit of work but eventually things start connecting.

I'd also recommend "seriously silly" by silly billy ( book or dvd - mostly for kids shows) but he has some routines that use gags and mini tricks to build up his show. He also goes over adding humor and comedy to tricks.