View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What are some good larger props
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

I've recently upgraded the case in which i carry my magic props. Now i have wayyyyyyyy more space than i did before.

Generally i like organic and natural looking props so I've never needed a larger case until now.

So since i have so much space, what are some natural-ish effects that someone might recommend?
I'm thinking along the lines of gimmick-ed bottles, Mental Epic, jumbo invisible deck, roxie racoon, book tests and stuff that kinda size (that wouldn't normally fit in a smaller bag/pockets) and not necessary stage material.

Any suggestions on these larger props/effects?

Post subject: Re: What are some good larger props
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14909

I know someone that has this, he got it when it first came out and still does it to this day and I love it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:38 pm 
born to perform.

Well I know you are getting into more mentalism but are you interested at all in dabbling into some Bizzarrist stuff? If so check out outlaw. http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/

Another thing to consider is escape stuff. Hancuffs and a straight jacket?

and of course if you are interested in just larger Mentalism probs go to Richard Osterlinds website. He has a lot of nifty mental epic boards and clipboards for Q&As.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:56 am 
born to perform.

I think for "larger" magic these are good for being practical:

Linking Rings

Sponge Balls

Cups and Balls

Invisible Deck (doesn't necessarily need to be jumbo at all, I've seen a regular sized one used in a full theatre just fine before by Terry Evanswood)

Torn and Restored Newspaper (tons of methods out there)

Regular Jumbo Card Deck

Large Coloring Book (kids love it)

Large Hot Rod

Appearing or Vanishing Cane

Hankerchiefs (for vanishing, producing, a sucker vanish routine, etc..)

Rattle Coin Box

M5 (I think the Raven is better and more practical overall personally, even considering the few things the M5 can do the Raven cannot do)

Spoons and/or Forks (for silverware bending)

Bottle of water (in case you get thirsty)

Extra cards (in case a kid eats them or you drop them into a hole to the center of the Earth)

Some kind of grip powder like athletes use in case your hands are slick for some reason and you can't really get a good grip for your sleights

Extra of whatever you use

Seriously extra of anything you use a lot because sooner or later someone will steal a prop from you or you'll lose one, and it sucks when those things happen and you have no extra trust me, its annoying!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:43 am 
born to perform.

Hey! I remember you!. You have been gon a while...welcome back!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:01 pm 
Penguin

A previous poster suggested packing a water bottle. You could take a sip and then go right into either "Rattled" or "Skycap." How organic is that?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:13 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Well I know you are getting into more mentalism but are you interested at all in dabbling into some Bizzarrist stuff? If so check out outlaw. http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/

Yeah, I have to echo the Outlaw Effects stuff if you are looking for some really interesting props. The nice thing about the Outlaw Effects props is that you can use them for a quick 3-5 routine or you can weave a tale that can span 30 minutes or more.

I might recommend the Jinn Box. Like most Outlaw items - each item is hand made and aged to look (and smell) like an artifact from a different era. The routine is a mentalism effect but the real strength is in the story you weave. A jinn is what we English-speaking folk would call a Genie. The spectator is given 4 wooden plaques from the Jinn Box. Each aged plaque has a list of wishes that the spectator can select from. After the spectator mentally selects her wish, you can divine the wish without ever touching the box or plaques.

Outlaw has some killer book tests as well (Reflections is a wonderfully unique book test). I have a bunch of Outlaw stuff now and they are amount my most prized magic props! My...precious.

:)