View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Anyone ever work at a Chinese Buffet?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:59 am 
born to perform.

Weird question I know. I just met a restaurant owner who is really nice. She just bought an old Chinese Buffet in town and she cleaned it up. Food is good and the atmosphere is good. She is trying to get the word out that the place has new management and has "cleaned up." So long story short, I see an oppertunity for me to offer her a little something extra to help attract a new clientele but I am hesitating because the Buffet atmosphere sounds like a nightmare from a magicians point of view.

Any thoughts? Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Post subject: Re: Anyone ever work at a Chinese Buffet?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 am 
Penguin

Interesting question. Since one of the chief benefits of restaurant magic, from the restaurant manager's point of view, is that you help kill time while the customers are waiting for their food if would seem like a buffet setting would not be ideal. Then again, you wouldn't have to fight the perception of taking tips away from the waitstaff.

Though not being a restaurant magician myself, I am curious to hear what others will say. I guess the related question I have, which would apply here, is "Is it verboten to approach people when they are eating?" If the answer is yes, then that would rule out most buffet restaurants, as you usually don't wait before eating.

P.S. Please tell me that you are not thinking of donning a fake moustache and doing a Ching Ling Soo/ Ching Ling Foo routine at the Chinese buffet!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:30 pm 
Penguin

Also not a restaurant worker, but here is my view anyway :)

At a buffet I could see that walk around might be distracting, since people are eating. But from the owners point of view it could work out. Eat slow (or get distracted watching the magician) and fill up faster. One of the tips on weight control is eating slower so you get full.

In a buffet setting what about more of a stage show? Have an empty area and do a small magic set? I have seen signs locally at a pizza buffet and a Golden Corral both advertising a Friday night magician. I have not been to either show so I don't know the setup of the show, but at least other buffets do shows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:54 pm 
Penguin

That is absolutely the way to do it at a buffet. A stage show would be absolutely the best fit. One of the first rules of restaurant work is to not bother people while they are eating. (It may not be actually, but it is a very good one.) A stage show leaves people free to eat and quietly chat while enjoying the show. You still run into a few problems, like people making noise coming into the restaurant, getting up to go to the buffet, and people staying at tables to watch the show while other people may want to sit down.

Personally, I would avoid a buffet unless the conditions were a little better for the type of performance.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:06 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with all points so far.

Buffet is different from other restaurants as there's no dead time for when food comes out. Though i dont know about stage show, it wont work unless people have come specifically to see you.

Here's what i would do, still do walk around. But tell the waiter/boss/reception as the customers walk in to be seated, tell the customers the restaurant has a magician available if they like. And then they will call you over (split the tips). btw this isnt my idea

That way the people you perform for are people who want to see you. No awkward cold approaches.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 am 
born to perform.

Doesn't a magician at a wedding perform for the guests at their tables after they have finished eating when one was hired to perform at that time?

One may certainly perform table hopping magic at a buffet style restaurant. Of course not everyone will be interested in the magician but it is a more relaxed atmosphere than at a restaurant with a wait staff. It will help to have routines ready that don't require audience participation for the tables that are interested in watching while eating. Then there is usually someone within a group that finishes eating before the others and has free hands for interactive spectatorship. Be ready to have food or drink blown on to your props during moments of astonishment. :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:05 am 
born to perform.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. I will take them all into consideration. As much as the stage show options seems logical, my stand up show requires spectator involvement in almost every effect. So, with people eating....not sure how well it would work? I'll probably just hustle for some other restaurant gigs and put this on the back burner for a while. Thanks!

Of course, the chance to do a confab routine with a fortune cookie does sound enticing....:)