View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Go to tricks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:33 am 
Penguin

I want to add more go-to tricks even if it includes gimmicks. I was thinking TKO 2.0 because the vanishes are just so visual. Also, Coffee Break by Greg Wilson. The thought of walking up to someone in a coffee shop and doing that just sounds fun. So I guess you can say, I want something that I can easily walk up to a person and just do a really visual trick.

EDIT: I just looked at ring master and I feel like that would be a really great impromptu trick to just walk up to someone

Post subject: Re: Go to tricks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 am 
born to perform.

Yep...TKO is a great option for "go to" tricks. I always like utility devices because their use is limited only to your imagination. Another one is a Serendipity gimmick. It is kind of like a pocket sized ring box disguised as a zippo lighter. It will fit medium sized rings and below, cards, and dollar bills. And the lighter still works!

And yes....Ringmaster, Ring leader, Ring thing, ring effects in general are great go to effects.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 am 
Penguin

I prefer utilities like TKO because you can use it for so many things. Most gimmicks are for one trick Eg, invisible deck, and magic mints. The TKO and other utilities like it are more limited by your imagination than by design. I haven't tried anything bigger than a deck of cards yet but it works for anything - cards, coins, ditching TT's, anything.

Ringmaster is impressive but a word of warning - be prepared to practice a lot! (practice is good, anyway) It is not a gimmick but straight up sleight of hand. I prefer effects like this because once you get them down pat they are more reliable than most gimmicks. I have not given it the practice it deserves and have not performed it yet. My dexterity is not what it used to be. (getting old sucks ha ha)

I do not have Coffee Break but I have some Greg Wilson stuff and I like that he uses such common props. Many of his effects takes very little set-up. Coffee Break looks pretty cool.

If you have not seen "Just the Way I Like It" you might check it out. It is a free download here at Penguin http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1605 and is a cute coffee shop trick. Not as powerful looking as Coffee Break, but still kind of neat.

But for a good, rock solid, go to the TKO is pretty slick.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 pm 
Penguin

Alright so for ring magic, I just saw that De'ring. What do you guys think? Ring Master or De'vo's De'ring?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:12 pm 
born to perform.

KeirTuS wrote:
Alright so for ring magic, I just saw that De'ring. What do you guys think? Ring Master or De'vo's De'ring?

I would go with ring master...I think De'ring is a bit more in the flourish with a ring vein. Ring master is definitely magic. You also learn some great extras like how to link a borrowed ring onto a locked padlock, and a pool ball production from a ring.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:30 pm 
Penguin

My only concern with Ring Master is that majority of the things shown in the trailer, I already. The only thing that baffled me was the ring and the padlock. Other than that, the pool ball production is also cool, but I do the same principle with a coin from a pen cap.

How about the Ring Thing by Garett Thomas?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:45 pm 
Penguin

Ring Thing is great!

Also, check out L&L World's Greatest Magic: Finger Rings. I cobbled my ring and string routine together from stuff on there. Loads of great moves and routines from some great magicians.

Mark Leveridge has got a ring on string move that will fry your brain. I use it all the time.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6194

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:34 pm 
Team Penguin

cfrancis wrote:
Ring Thing is great!

Also, check out L&L World's Greatest Magic: Finger Rings. I cobbled my ring and string routine together from stuff on there. Loads of great moves and routines from some great magicians.

Mark Leveridge has got a ring on string move that will fry your brain. I use it all the time.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6194

Nice to see you on the boards, Cameron!

Personally, I have so many go-to tricks. TKO 2.0 is a great gimmick that I have on all the time, and I almost always perform a few of the finger ring effects from the DVD that was mentioned above too. Oh, and of course *cough* my effect Mute *hack*. ;)

All the best,
-Chris

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm 
born to perform.

I used to always carry with me a Two Dollar Window (and have been meaning to start again for a while now). If you want that, also try looking into MONEY and you might get some more bang for your buck (all the puns intended).

And of course, there's On the Spot by the great Greg Wilson. You can't go wrong with that.