View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Is there a card sleight to do this?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:05 am 
Penguin

Hello all! I'm a beginner in magic, but a creative thinker and I've come up with an awesome card trick but there's one problem. I'm not the best card handler yet and I don't know a whole lot of sleights, and for my trick I need something done to accomplish the trick, but I don't know if it is possible, and if it is, it seems like it would be really hard to pull off. And maybe it's easy..maybe some of you will tell me "oh you just go like this" but I don't know much sleights so if there's any way to pull this off smoothly can someone tell me how?

Here's the sleight I need to make happen. Say you got the cards squared up and facing up....lets say the Ace of spades is on top facing up. I want to be able to turn the deck over, but at the same time, flip just the Ace over without anyone seeing me flip the card....the Ace is now on the bottom of the deck, but it is now facing the other cards, so if you flipped the deck back over you would see the red back of the Ace card. I just need to know how I can get away with flipping that Ace while I'm turning the deck over without anyone noticing the flip. Or maybe even secretly flipping the card while I'm doing some kind of false shuffle or something...i don't know. Any suggestions? I know it might be hard to type an explanation (if there is one) so if there is some famous sleight to do that then just name it and I'll look it up (again if there is one). I'm fairly new to magic so I just don't know. I've tried to pull it off in the mirror and it's just awkward and difficult and when I do pull it off I notice that it is only possible to do from a one person angle. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Is there a card sleight to do this?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:21 am 
born to perform.

Sounds like you're looking for a reverse (there's a chapter on it in Card College Volume 2 by Roberto Giobbi. Thanks to Magicbooks.be for the index.) or a half pass (while I know it's in one of the Card Colleges also (after all, what isn't), I'm too tired to look up where).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:37 pm 

My favorite is to combine it with a flourish such as a table spread.

Spread the entire deck face up (ace face up on the right) Pin the ace in place with your right hand as you do a turnover spread left to right to spread the deck face down. Since you're holding the ace to the table, it won't flip over with the rest of the deck.

Simply and smoothly close the spread right to left by using the (face up) ace to scoop the deck up and then finish squaring up the deck. In all that motion, and the fact that the bottom card is covered by the deck as you close, nobody will see the face up card on the bottom.

The whole flourish should take no longer than a second or so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 am 
Penguin

Wow! Thanks Dave V. I don't know If I can do that but I will practice it. That sounds like a perfect way to accomplish that, because in my trick I was going to spread the cards out to the right like you said, square up the deck, and then flip the deck over and somehow flip that bottom card over at the same time, but with that method you mentioned, I could spread the cards and then flip the card before squaring up the deck and that would be perfect (if I can pull it off) but I'll just need to practice. But thanks so much. That's exactly what I need.

And Salmononious2, is there any way you can kinda explain what a reverse is like or the half pass? I've spent too much on magic lately and I'd hate to have to buy another book to explain how to do those.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions of how I could accomplish flipping that card? Dave V's approach will probably work fine, but if I knew another way or two that would help out a lot. Thanks in advance, and thank you Dave V, that method goes perfect with the way I was presenting the cards anyway!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:56 am 
born to perform.

I sent you a PM. Also check your local library for any books on magic. You'd be surprised at what they have, and if they don't have it, they might be able to get it through an Inter-Library Loan. I was able to borrow the Card Colleges, Royal Road, Bobo, and Art of Astonishment from my library.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 pm 

Just to clarify: You don't flip the card. The entire deck turns over EXCEPT for the Ace.

Watch this video

The only difference is you hold down the card at the end of the spread so it doesn't turn over when you do the turnover spread. And you don't need to use the card to do the turnover. With some practice, just the momentum of starting the turnover will flip the entire deck ready to be scooped up by your now reversed card.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 am 
Penguin

Dave V, yeah I knew what you were saying. I was just saying originally I was going to do the spread, then square up, then flip the card underneath, but your way made a lot more sense to just hold the last card down and have the deck spread and flip the cards with the domino effect on top of the last card so it's the only one not flipped over. And thanks for the video of how to properly spread the cards, cause I suck at that, but I never knew the proper way. It actually doesn't look to hard I will practice it and practice holding down that last card as well. Thanks.