View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Book for practical card tricks
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:06 am 
Penguin

Hi all ! First i want to say, i have developed lot last half year. I have so much great material and learned lot. But i have just dvd:s. So what i'm asking is book, what includes card tricks with minimal set-up. I dont say i want just no-setup tricks, but good mix about set-up, selfworking and sleight of hands book is something what i'm watching. And last thing, what is probably main thing about my magic, these have to be PRACTICAL, real world magic. I know hundreds of great camera tricks, what have to be set-uped, and what cant be used real world close-up magic. So dont know is there book like that, but hope you guys get my point. And what about price, thats not really problem. Thanks !

Post subject: Re: Book for practical card tricks
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:55 am 
Penguin

I always recommend the Card College Light Series by Roberto Giobbi.

Card College Light, Card College Lighter, and Card College Lightest. It is a great set with strong, mostly sleight free and self-working card magic.

He also wrote the Card College series (5 Volumes). Which is excellent.

Of course you should own The Royal Road to Card Magic, and Expert Card Technique both written by Jean Hugard & Frederick Braue if you are going to pursue card magic.

Good Luck

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:20 am 
Penguin

Thanks for answer ! What you guys think about these books:

- Dear Mister Fantasy book John Bannon
- Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz
- Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz - Book
- Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz

And i dont want kind "beginners" stuff, becouse i have many dvd:s what are good for that. I'm looking some serious "advanced" stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 pm 
born to perform.

This is going to be a fun question to answer :D

To start off: I second Twist592. Anything by Roberto Giobbi. His Card College set is great, and while its main focus is to teach sleights, the tricks that are taught with them are amazing. It's a complete course in card magic, so it does cover the 'basic' stuff also, but any volume is worth its weight in gold. He also has a Card College Light set, which focuses more on tricks that are more self-working, and they're great!

On that note, the other books that teach 'sleights' like Royal Road to Card Magic and Expert Card Technique also have great tricks in them.

The Art of Astonishment series, while not limited solely to cards, has some great pieces. Not necessarily self-working, but not knuckle-busting either. Las Vegas Leaper (from Volume 1) is one of my favorite tricks. Highly recommended.

Scarne on Card Tricks is also a great book, full of self-working gems.

If you want some more sleight-heavy material, you can go for anything with the name Marlo on it. Marlo Without Tears (which unfortunately isn't available at Penguin) is a great book with some easier Marlo material on it.

And last but definitely not least, there's The Professor, Dai Vernon. He has a lot of great stuff (which might be the understatement of the century). I would recommend his Inner Card Secrets Trilogy.

As to the stuff you mentioned: I heard great things about Bannon. As to Strong Magic, I'm actually in the middle of reading it. It's a great book, although it doesn't teach tricks, only theory, which might arguably be better. Designing Miracles is also a book on theory, so it would probably isn't necessary to get both of them, at least not right away. I don't know too much about Mnemonica, so I can't comment on that.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:23 pm 
Penguin

Think i have to say something for me when you can help: I have doing magic serious like just one year. I do table and walkaround magic. I have studied Brad Christian's, Michael ammar's, dani ortiz's, lennart green's, jay sankey's magic. There are more, but you know what kind magic i do. So i know much and have huge DVD materil to use. Meaby one for my "weakness" is, i'm so critical about some tricks, they have amazed me, but when i know how it works, its not good anymore becouse i think "oh, its that easy, they catch me so easily". I always dont understand, i dont do these things to magician, i do it for laymen who dont know what is going on. But i want to expand my repertoire of card tricks, and i think books are good for that, becouse there is lot tricks what use. Inversely what you guys think what i really have to study right now. I'm serious about this thing, i do something (practice passes, dribble, dl etc.) with cards every day, 30 mins to 2 hour and love it. I have done some presentations for my family but no more. Thanks !

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:25 pm 

Ibracadabr47 wrote:
Thanks for answer ! What you guys think about these books:

- Dear Mister Fantasy book John Bannon
- Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz
- Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz - Book
- Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz

And i dont want kind "beginners" stuff, becouse i have many dvd:s what are good for that. I'm looking some serious "advanced" stuff.

Although they're all great, virtually none of those teach "tricks"
I think "Dear Mister Fantasy" does, but the others are primarily theory. Mnemonica is geared toward using memorized stacks if you're into that.

I'd stick with any or all of the Giobbi books.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:08 pm 
Penguin

Royal Road To Card Magic by Jean Hugard, Frederick Braue

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:37 am 
Penguin

I have question about Giobbi's Card College 1-5, are these books just sleight or what? Are these really that good like they are hyped? And another question abour Harry Loraine's books, are these? And the last one, i have Paul Harris's TA, so should i buy AoA volumes? Thanks !

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:30 am 
born to perform.

The layout for the Card College series is it teaches a sleight (very clearly and thoroughly, with numerous variations) followed by tricks that use that sleight. Each book has around 10-15 chapters, each chapter dealing with a different sleight, and at the end of the chapter there are usually 2-3 tricks.

And no, they're not as good as they're hyped up to be, they're even better than that.

And I don't own True Astonishments, but I think that there is quite a bit of overlap between the books and the DVD set, although usually with different variations from what I've heard. However, the books simply contain a lot more material by sheer volume. Not including the Easter eggs, I think the amount of material in the TA set is equal (in number) to about 1/2 of one volume of AoA. Granted, there's some filler in the set (and I assume that TA culled some of the best pieces from the set), but there are still so many amazing effects in AoA that one simply can't fit onto a DVD set.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:30 am 
Penguin

These guys have listed so many great magic books I won't even bother to add to the list. I will say this though, I have somewhere around 40K books in my library, about 10%, or 4,000 of them are magic books (I inherited my grandfathers magic collection, mostly books). Of these maybe less than half a dozen are not that great; an infinitesimal number considering we're talking about that many books. What I'm saying is that books will always be your best bet for learning magic. Unlike DVDs, it takes a lot of time and work to put out a book on magic or any subject.

Books are still the best buy in magic...REAL, physical, paper books. E-books have yet to prove themselves in the decades to come.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:01 pm 
Penguin

I really think i should buy Roberto Giobbis books. So my question is: should i buy all light, lighter and lightest? What are differences? Have these books just self working tricks? I have "Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks " DVD, so is this for me just recap or just stack new great tricks? And if you buy these, should i still buy Card College series? Sorry about many questions. :) And thanks for great answers, helped lot !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:09 am 
born to perform.

You also can't go wrong with any of the Classic Collection volumes by Harry Lorayne

Sean

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:01 am 
Penguin

What people think about Semi-Automatic Card Tricks book series? Have these books useful practical tricks or lot of setup and cameratricks?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:17 am 
Team Penguin

I know this is a pretty late post, but I love the Semi-Auto Card Series. I only own one of them, but it's full of really, really strong material that's easy to do.

I'd also add David Regal's books (all of them). The card magic is generally easy and very, very well justified.

All the best,
-Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:03 am 

Ibracadabr47 wrote:
I really think i should buy Roberto Giobbis books. So my question is: should i buy all light, lighter and lightest? What are differences? Have these books just self working tricks? I have "Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks " DVD, so is this for me just recap or just stack new great tricks? And if you buy these, should i still buy Card College series? Sorry about many questions. :) And thanks for great answers, helped lot !

Start with Light, and when you get bored move on to the others. These are all pretty much self working using deck setups, but the thing that sets it apart from other self-working books is that he's "routined" these into sets of three or so tricks that flow from one to another.

The weakness of most self-working tricks is that you have nowhere to go afterwards. You do one, and you're done. If you don't have a second deck preset or you don't know what to do with a regular deck you're stuck.

Giobbi has solved that with this series. As you finish the first trick, it leaves you set up for trick two which sets you up automatically for trick three. Pretty ingenious thinking if you ask me.