View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Help for a new invisible thread user
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 pm 
Penguin

Hello All,

I recently purchased some IT and wax from penguin and own some loops too but am having a hard time finding tricks that I can perform them with, the only trick I know being the haunted deck (I am completely new to thread use). I was hoping someone could point me in the correct direction. What I am mainly looking for is tricks that have simple setups or are as impromptu as possible and that use cards, rubberbands, pens, or money in them as I nearly always have those on me. I mainly do magic on the fly for friends or sometimes strangers I meet and would love to be able to do floating card tricks and such. I don't have a lot of funds (university makes certain of that...) so I was wondering what would be a good essential read/view for thread users? Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Rick

Post subject: Re: Help for a new invisible thread user
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:04 pm 
Penguin

There are a lot of videos on YouTube. Just search for "invisible thread magic". Some are reveal vids and most are simply performances. But if you already have a thread reel you can learn a lot from a good performance.

It won't be a definitive work, but a good start for free.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:48 pm 
Penguin

One of the best "on the fly" types of invisible thread use is using loops. Yigel Mesika sells pre-made loops, but if you're on a budget (who isn't?), then you can just purchase elastic invisible thread and make your own. It will take patience maybe a bit of eye strain, but it's well worth it. Loops can be taken anywhere and can be used with anything light enough to be held on the thread.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:23 pm 
Penguin

Set a white sheet of copy paper on the table in front of you to start your work. Take one of the big strands and pull out a single strand of the black invisible thread. Next take a small piece of wax and roll it onto the end and into a little ball. Pull the rest of that strand out and do the same with the other end. This should give you 3 or 4 feet of thread.

A basic way to transport this around is to put one end inside your ear (the hard part next to the hole). Let the other end hang down and affix it to your belt.

A great way to animate small objects is to remove the piece on your belt and place it onto your middle fingernail. Turn your hand palm up. By laying small objects like matches, business cards, playing cards, little voodoo dolls made out of paper, paperclips, etc onto the thread and laying them onto the palm, you can animate them by subtly tightening the thread with the finger or hand. The objects will raise, lower, turn over, etc.

One of my favorite tricks is to make a butterfly from a cigarette rolling paper, colored markers, and scissors. You can make the little butterfly come to life in your hand. I keep my butterflies and extra thread in a Altoids box. All this was invented by Paul Harris and Jon LeClair back in the 70s and 80's.

Michael Ammar invented this classic animated dancing bill. One end of the thread is in your ear, the other end is on a microphone stand or napkin holder (if seated at a table). Crumple a dollar bill around the thread about mid point on the line. Bend your arm so the bill appears to be resting on your forearm. By moving the arm back and forth the bill appears to be dancing up and down your forearm.

You can learn all this and a 1000% more from three dvds titled EASY TO MASTER THREAD MIRACLES Volumes 1,2 & 3 from L&L Publishing. I'm sure Pengiun carries them also. They are the BEST investment you'll ever make. Everything from super secret hook-ups how to make IET really cheaply (a lifetime supply for about $3.oo), how to make Invisible ELASTIC Thread from a certain kind of pantyhose or a cheap item found in hobby shops, to constructing your own thread reels from stuff around the house, and tons more secrets.

Hopefully this should help start you on your way to thread work. There's another book if you can find it titled THE THREAD BOOK by Braco. It has some of the most creative stuff with thread I've ever seen. Hopefully someday Finn Jon will re-print all his great books from the 80's of his magic. He had some really cool ideas of blowing bubbles and floating them with invisible thread.