View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: How do you start busking?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 am 
Penguin

What kind of trick do you use. I am thinking of like a 5-10 minute card routine with a regular deck of cards. I am also thinking of starting with a TT to grab people's attention. If I am doing cards, I should expect a smaller crowd gathered around my table, right?

I'd appreciate all help!

Post subject: Re: How do you start busking?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:37 am 
born to perform.

Cups and balls. Coin shell. Chop cup. The number one thing is ???????????????? entertaineding your Audiences.

I start out with a coin effect to bring them in. Then I do the egg bag to build my edges. Finished with the cups and balls. My show. 15 to 20 min.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:02 am 

Tke the 3 best effects you do and build a 7 to 12 minute show. Be SURE to have hat lines ALL THRU the show. Then DO IT!! I have a rope act that I use. Cups & balls are not necessary, Gazzo is successful with them but they are a bear to do right, and most of us to them wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:27 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Tke the 3 best effects you do and build a 7 to 12 minute show. Be SURE to have hat lines ALL THRU the show. Then DO IT!! I have a rope act that I use. Cups & balls are not necessary, Gazzo is successful with them but they are a bear to do right, and most of us to them wrong.

Ok, thanks! I appreciate the help. What are some good hat lines?
Would it be ok to do a whole routine with cards, and end with something like the invisible deck? I just remembered, I go t cracked sucker silk to egg. Would that be a better finale instead than the invisible deck?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:34 pm 
Penguin

If you're serious about busking, you might want to invest in Gazzo's second Penguin Live Lecture, available for instant download. While I didn't see his first lecture, which apparently dealt more with specific effects you can use for busking. I did see his second lecture, which deals with the ins and outs of making a living while busking. And a good bit of his talk includes how to draw your crowd. http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2649#reviews

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:36 pm 
born to perform.

Thats to bad paddy that the cups and balls are to hard for you. I find them easy to do. Just take your time and come up with a good routine. And they kill. Its a great endding.but ropes are also very good. I have used themas well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm 
Penguin

Well, I am looking at Street Cups Starring Gazzo. Is that with a regular cups and balls set, or do I have to buy a special one. Also, how much would it cost to get everything i need to make the oranges and cantelope appear at the end (not including oranges and cantelope)?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 am 
born to perform.

Street Cups Starring Gazzo is a great D.V.D.
But to get started I would get,
Kozmo Tales From the Street (2 DVD Set)

This is a great set and has alot of info.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:28 am 

aces_up_41 wrote:
Thats to bad paddy that the cups and balls are to hard for you. I find them easy to do. Just take your time and come up with a good routine. And they kill. Its a great endding.but ropes are also very good. I have used themas well.

WRONG IGOR!!! The cups & balls are not too hard for me. The thing I have against it is EVERYBODY and their Aunt Matilda does the cups & balls. Most do it poorly. I learned the c & B from Gazzo himself at his Masterclass several years ago in Charlottesville VA. Saw him make over $600 in ONE 45 minute show. He rated me as 2nd in the class of 9 of us so I do the C & B well. But why follow what everybody else does. I prefer to be an original act, not a clone act. I do a rope routine, don't need a table or a pouch, even tho I do use a pouch to hold my ropes in. I do a 7 minute act, and if the crowd is good I add another routine and go 15 minutes. Then hat the crowd and start again. I average between $75 to $100 an hour doing 3 to 4 shows an hour, when I make my goal for the day, I quit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:07 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
aces_up_41 wrote:

WRONG IGOR!!! The cups & balls are not too hard for me. The thing I have against it is EVERYBODY and their Aunt Matilda does the cups & balls. Most do it poorly. I learned the c & B from Gazzo himself at his Masterclass several years ago in Charlottesville VA. Saw him make over $600 in ONE 45 minute show. He rated me as 2nd in the class of 9 of us so I do the C & B well. But why follow what everybody else does. I prefer to be an original act, not a clone act. I do a rope routine, don't need a table or a pouch, even tho I do use a pouch to hold my ropes in. I do a 7 minute act, and if the crowd is good I add another routine and go 15 minutes. Then hat the crowd and start again. I average between $75 to $100 an hour doing 3 to 4 shows an hour, when I make my goal for the day, I quit.

LOL. This was a question ask by Spinbaby. Why did it end up about you? I hardly ever see the cups and balls on the streets. I see more ropes being done. Not that it even matters to me what you make with your ropes. Thats great. No dout that you do them really good. I sure you do. You earned it with hard work. But there are diff views on things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 am 
Penguin

I'm with Paddy on this one. The cups and balls are way overdone by street magicians. I took my son to London last year, which is very busker-friendly. We took in some great (and not so great) street performances. Among them were three magicians....all of whom did C&B. And all three of them ended with a melon under the hat. Gazzo is king of that routine, and it just goes down from there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:40 am 
born to perform.

( Gazzo is king of that routine ) True True. Just about every magic effect is over used. Those cups and balls you watched if bad is because they tried to copy Gazzo. They need to come up with there own way on how to perform it. ( entertaineding your Audience ) is the key. Dont matter if its with the cups and balls, ropes and so on. Its the performer. Find what fits you and go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:19 pm 
Penguin

aces_up_41 wrote:
Street Cups Starring Gazzo is a great D.V.D.
But to get started I would get,
Kozmo Tales From the Street (2 DVD Set)

This is a great set and has alot of info.

Listen to Aces Up 41, Kozmo is where to start. Gazzo's lecture is more about how great he is and less on how you can improve your performance. Gazzo is the best on the street, but IMHO the worst teacher in the classroom. Kozmo is far more detailed and practical.

As far as the cups and balls debate goes- most laypeople have never even seen a magician let alone this effect. I agree more people do it wrong than right, and although it's easy to learn, it's very difficult to master.