View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A New Aproach to Walk Around
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:48 am 
Penguin

I doubt that this is new for everyone but it is new to me. In the past when it came to walk around I used to run into problems here and there. In the past I used the 3 sets of 3 model in my walk around. So for those of you who are unfamiliar that means at each table you have an opener, middle trick and a finale. Of course you'd rotate through these 3 sets from table to table. This works for many but I struggle with it.

My problems are as follows;
-I have a hard time with time, both actual time and perceived time. For instance even if I time each of my sets so it is exactly 7 minutes long inevitably when I get out in the field and perform some people want more, while others want less.
-There is also the very real possibility that I will be interrupted or that I need to go longer. If this happens I might have to break up a planned set and lose some impact from the routines.
-When it comes to performing I'm a little bit of a mess. I have a hard time juggling my props and have lost and broken gimmicks because of poor pocket management.
-Many of my effects required a table, and i keep finding myself in a position where I just don't have enough room

With all of these challenges in mind I decided to take a different approach. No doubt some of you will cringe just reading this. I wanted to use minimal props, I needed it to flow but also be able to stop at any moment, and everything had to be done in the hands or using minimal floor space.

To fix this I put together a list of 24 card tricks that can all be performed back to back with each other. The only other thing I took was an egg of silly putty and 4 half dollars. All together this set would take me about 40 minutes to perform by itself. It sounds crazy to pack that many card tricks into one set but I made sure that there were never too many pick a card tricks in a row and that there was enough strong magic to choke a horse.

I was very hesitant to try my new format. Yesterday I had the opportunity to try it out for a very gracious crowd and it really killed! It was a charity event with many magicians performing walk around magic before a big magic show. There wasn't a table in sight just a lobby out side and a theater full of chairs. I started and my new format worked great! My set was able to accordion to the needs of my participants. I never needed a table so I could go where the other magicians couldn't. Before long I found myself not being able to move because I had gathered such a large group. It really worked out and I'd recommend a similar format to anyone who asked :)