View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Favorite Old Magic Magazine?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am 
Team Penguin

Hey everyone!

I hope all is going well! Lately, I've been obsessed with reading through old magazines. The theories are often original and sound and it's a great way to find methods that people simply haven't heard of. I've been having a lot of fun with issues of The Phoenix, The New Phoenix, The Linking Ring, MUM, Genii, Hugard's and Apocalypse.

I'm just wondering; what is your favorite older publication and why?

Thanks in advance!

All the best,
-Chris

Post subject: Re: Favorite Old Magic Magazine?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:58 pm 
Penguin

Syzygy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:27 pm 
born to perform.

A while back I bought a lot of 3 years worth of magazines (years '96-'99 I believe) from M.U.M., Genii, and Linking Ring. I personally like M.U.M. the best. I don't know why, I just felt like it had the best articles and most practical effects.

What I find the funniest about those magazines was that they were all published around when the internet started becoming mainstream, and there are plenty of articles about how it would affect the art. 15 years later, and the debate still rages on :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:34 pm 
born to perform.

Magical Arts Journal and Epoptica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:16 am 
Penguin

When you subscribe to Genii you get access to every issue ever printed, that's like 70 or 80 years worth of the greatest magic magazine ever published. Richard Kaufman has done a tremendous job reviving it since he bought it 15 years ago or so. So, Genii is hands down my favorite.

In second place is Stan Allan's Magic magazine, I have every edition since it's inception in 1991. It takes up the entire corner of a room.

Here is a list of magic magazines I have on CD that I've collected over the past few years. Some, like the Magic Wand and Sphinx lasted over 40 years, each and every issue is on these CDs. It's an amazing collection and it should take me most of my retirement to read (I calculated about 8 to 10 years to read everything).

-Tops Magazine (publisher Abbotts)
-New Tops Magazine (publisher Abbotts)
-Digital Gen
-Magic Wand
-Oracle
-Digital Pentagram
-The Bat
-The Phoenix
-The New Phoenix
-The JINX
-The New JINX
-Magigram
-The Sphinx
-Magic Mag (70s-80's version, has nothing to do with the current version)
-Chap's Scrapbook (paper version & CD version)

One poster mentioned the Magic Arts Journal. I have the paper version but I believe it's now out on CD.

I'm not sure if L&L publishing has put Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse out on CD yet, the 4 HUGE books of the individual issues. I fooled around and put off buying them and now it's too late. Unless that is they are, or ever will be put on CD.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:51 am 
Penguin

I have a small collection of MUM. It is a little treasure trove of good magic :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 am 
Team Penguin

swayze wrote:
When you subscribe to Genii you get access to every issue ever printed, that's like 70 or 80 years worth of the greatest magic magazine ever published. Richard Kaufman has done a tremendous job reviving it since he bought it 15 years ago or so. So, Genii is hands down my favorite.

In second place is Stan Allan's Magic magazine, I have every edition since it's inception in 1991. It takes up the entire corner of a room.

Here is a list of magic magazines I have on CD that I've collected over the past few years. Some, like the Magic Wand and Sphinx lasted over 40 years, each and every issue is on these CDs. It's an amazing collection and it should take me most of my retirement to read (I calculated about 8 to 10 years to read everything).

-Tops Magazine (publisher Abbotts)
-New Tops Magazine (publisher Abbotts)
-Digital Gen
-Magic Wand
-Oracle
-Digital Pentagram
-The Bat
-The Phoenix
-The New Phoenix
-The JINX
-The New JINX
-Magigram
-The Sphinx
-Magic Mag (70s-80's version, has nothing to do with the current version)
-Chap's Scrapbook (paper version & CD version)

One poster mentioned the Magic Arts Journal. I have the paper version but I believe it's now out on CD.

I'm not sure if L&L publishing has put Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse out on CD yet, the 4 HUGE books of the individual issues. I fooled around and put off buying them and now it's too late. Unless that is they are, or ever will be put on CD.

I, too, fooled around with Apocalypse. I see them on eBay periodically and always consider buying them, but still haven't. I'd imagine the bound volumes will be back in print one day, but I'd guess never on a CD for those.

How is Chap's? I've never read any of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:20 pm 
Penguin

Chaps is very good, it was just a very short run. I talked to Louise Falanga, the president of L&L publishing awhile back about Apocalypse, he told me flat out it will never be republished. This means used copies will only skyrocket in price. I feel like Charlie Brown...AARRRRRRG!!!

Those TOPS magazines are very good too. They've made several books out of the information in them. Tops Treasury of Cigarette Magic, Tops Treasury of Ball Magic, etc.

If you want some really killer card magic get yourself those Pentagram CDs. They made a book out of the card magic in Pentagram and it is highly sought after. Aldo Colombini is making these tricks available on his DVDs of the same title, and they're only $10 each (he's up to 6 now).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 am 
Team Penguin

swayze wrote:
Chaps is very good, it was just a very short run. I talked to Louise Falanga, the president of L&L publishing awhile back about Apocalypse, he told me flat out it will never be republished. This means used copies will only skyrocket in price. I feel like Charlie Brown...AARRRRRRG!!!

Those TOPS magazines are very good too. They've made several books out of the information in them. Tops Treasury of Cigarette Magic, Tops Treasury of Ball Magic, etc.

If you want some really killer card magic get yourself those Pentagram CDs. They made a book out of the card magic in Pentagram and it is highly sought after. Aldo Colombini is making these tricks available on his DVDs of the same title, and they're only $10 each (he's up to 6 now).

Awesome, thanks for the advice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:36 pm 
Penguin

I'm not sure when THE ULTIMATE SPHINX came out on CD, I think recently as I try to keep on top of these things. This is a really big deal, REALLY BIG! The Sphinx has been the most sought after, heretofore impossible to find goldmine of magic ever to see print. It ran for over 50 years during the 1900's. With it's newfound re-release you will see the 're-discovery' of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of forgotten secrets that many magicians took to the grave. Nobody whose been in magic for any length of time every thought in a million years the Sphinx would ever resurface. Without CD technology this could never have happened-- I mean, we're talking over 20,000 pages of material, something impossible to publish as a paper book, even as a series.

THE ULTIMATE SPHINX has been quietly released, I don't think it's even been reviewed or advertised in the magic mags yet. Unless it 'just happened' I can't account for a reason for this. Whoever is reading this, take my word for it, it will be the best $60 investment you'll ever make. I think on Meir Yedid's site he's selling it for $50. Get yourself a copy, we probably won't hear from you for about ten years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:34 am 
Team Penguin

swayze wrote:
I'm not sure when THE ULTIMATE SPHINX came out on CD, I think recently as I try to keep on top of these things. This is a really big deal, REALLY BIG! The Sphinx has been the most sought after, heretofore impossible to find goldmine of magic ever to see print. It ran for over 50 years during the 1900's. With it's newfound re-release you will see the 're-discovery' of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of forgotten secrets that many magicians took to the grave. Nobody whose been in magic for any length of time every thought in a million years the Sphinx would ever resurface. Without CD technology this could never have happened-- I mean, we're talking over 20,000 pages of material, something impossible to publish as a paper book, even as a series.

THE ULTIMATE SPHINX has been quietly released, I don't think it's even been reviewed or advertised in the magic mags yet. Unless it 'just happened' I can't account for a reason for this. Whoever is reading this, take my word for it, it will be the best $60 investment you'll ever make. I think on Meir Yedid's site he's selling it for $50. Get yourself a copy, we probably won't hear from you for about ten years.

Holy MOLY! I know where part of the money from my next show is going!

Thanks for the heads up!

All the best,
-Chris