View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Greg Wilson's UNLEASHED
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:34 pm 
Penguin

Ok, not to confuse anyone with Jay Sankey's "Unleashed"...But, has anyone bought this?
To me, and based on the video demo, [edited for exposure]

At $35.00 I'm hoping that it's more than what I believe it to be...otherwise, anyone could make it easily and it wouldn't fool anyone. My opinion.

I've heard a lot of negative comments about the tricks that Greg Wilson puts out when it comes to cost. I like a lot of what he has done...but this one just looks....well, too easy to figure out.

I do a lot of close-up magic, mostly at parties. I Like tricks/effects that can be examined by the spectator.

I am also a firm believer that magic consists of two major components:
1) Presentation - 90%; and
2) the trick/effect - 10%.

So, if anyone would like to weigh in on this and help to provide us with more than what the video demo shows...which isn't much, I'd appreciate it.
:)

Post subject: Re: Greg Wilson's UNLEASHED
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:38 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:
but this one just looks....well, too easy to figure out.

I'm not one EZ-ly figures out tricks but this one is a "no brainer". $35 is steep because mostly, in this case, one is paying for the handling instead of a sophisticated gimmick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:31 pm 
Penguin

Having bought this myself, I believe it is priced quite reasonably. The tags are a nice size and with the shiny finish they still look great from a bit of distance. The ambigram "illusion" is also a great bit, and gives you a bit of down time between sleights to allow the audience to become invested where they need to be (if that makes any sense). I will certainly be performing the 2 phase routine from the dvd.

Like many of Greg's effects, what really sells this is the comfort and casual level of the performer. It's hard to explain, but if you have seen Greg perform in person, you will know exactly what I mean.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:04 pm 
Penguin

The guys on Wizard Product Review got me hyped up on Greg Wilson's dvds, so I bought them. Not happy whatsoever. This guy has to be the most overrated magician out there. His stuff is just not as creative as magic dealers would have you believe. BTW, I paid far less than full retail for a lot of GW material on e-bay and I still feel stiffed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:53 pm 
Penguin

Wow Swayze. Sorry you feel that way! I guess quality really is subjective. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

Good points Justin, although I feel it's over priced others may find great value in it. I do like the customized "ILLUSION" on the tag(s) which reads right-side-up and upside-down. Although it isn't something I would want to wear around I may still purchase this if I decide to carry the chain in a pocket since Gregory's teaching, subtleties, etc. is superb. For those who want to use the chain for an additional routine, check out Ring on Chain. If another length is added to the chain then one could also perform, Fast and Loose also known as The Endless Chain.

Swayze, sorry that you feel that way. Gregory, in my opinion, is one of THE top performers, instructors and producers of magical material. As far as creativity; Hot Shot Cut and other stunts on his Card Stunts video is superb! His teachings on impromptu material is phenomenal! If you feel stiffed for your purchases on eBay then you will surely get your dough back by putting them up there again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:59 am 
Penguin

I think I know where you're coming from Swayze. I didn't get why people thought Gregory Wilson was so great. I reluctantly saw his lecture though and it was AWESOME! He is a great performer :)

As far as this trick being easy to figure out I think we're looking at this like a magician would. I use that vanish everyday in my coin routine and it proves to be very deceptive. It just isn't a magician fooler. I'm sure that the nuances and performance tips help with its high price though. I'd expect that from Greg Wilson :)