View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Basics, theories, and where to start.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:26 am 
Penguin

Hello all,

I've been messing around with sleight of hand, on and off, for about 2.5 years now. I'm not saying I'm better than I should be, but I believe I've caught on and learned rather fast, sadly though, I feel as if my interest isn't growing much further in the aspect of coins, cards, rubber bands, and sponge balls.

Which brings me to this Mentalism page, where the idea of playing on the psychological aspect of magic seems to be much more direct. I'm posting this as a gateway to knowledge, I'm trying to find good places to start for any and all types of mentalism effects, I'm very new, so any and all ideas are welcome, because I'd love to explore what is out there and see the possibilities.

I've heard of a few things, such as Cold Reading and NLP, and both seem to be somewhat controversial. I'd very much enjoy references (in book and/or DVD format) to these subjects, and any others that come across your beautiful minds.

Thank you very much for your time,
~TJ

Post subject: Re: Basics, theories, and where to start.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:00 am 
born to perform.

You can't beat Corinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism. The book will give you a great understanding of various methods used in Mentalism, as well as effects.

Richard Osterlind has a series of DVDS based on this book as well. Both are certainly worth your consideration.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:57 pm 
Penguin

I second Brisco. But also, there are some great penguin live lectures available for download. You get a huge bang for your buck with most of the lectures available. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

illusionistjustin wrote:
I second Brisco. But also, there are some great penguin live lectures available for download. You get a huge bang for your buck with most of the lectures available. :D

I agree withillusionistjustin. There have been several excellent lecturers on Penguin teaching some great mentalism. By all means, catch as many of these lectures as you can, and be sure to learn the basics as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:23 am 
Penguin

Okay, thank you both :)

Now, do either (or both) of you have a preference of the format I should get for 13 steps of mentalism? Being in both Book and DVD formats, I wasn't sure if the DVD is worth the extra money. I know it's a DVD so you get to see the tricks in action, but the book is a fraction of the price, and I'm not sure if it's worth it or not...

I'll also do what I can to acquire the lectures :) mentalists, and then Gazzo's 2nd lecture (apparently it's about performing and audience interaction/management)

Again; Thanks!

~TJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 am 
Penguin

to be honest I never read the book but the video format was pretty good , slow teaching but great for beginners , I know a lot of people will go against this next suggestion but I also recommend the two dvds rich furguson put out on combining magic and mentalism. most of the effects are reworked ideas with an improved twist , but its a collection of great effects , I seen a lot of elder magicians complain about it because its not 100% new material , I say ignore them , I also recommend vol 3 of banacheks psi series that focuses on muscle reading and different tips and ways to present it , this dvd alone did a lot for me and I even pulled it off in the most extreme situations I even performed it for a group of police officers at a large event of a few hundred people and never missed because of practice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:08 pm 
Penguin

If you really want to be a mentalist IMHO it's not as easy as picking up a book or two. You must dedicate yourself to it.

IF you are serious, PM me and explain why you feel you are worthy and I will give you the keys to the kingdom....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:48 pm 
Penguin

Okay, thank y'all very much!

And out of curiousity; Are there any techniques I should focus more on, or ignore?

Like saying a Pass with cards is a must, but learning the MacMillain switch isn't. Make sense?

I'm trying to avoid sending my focus towards useless (or close-to useless) material, and push towards what'll be more important while performing, or even outside of performance.

Hakunah Matata,
~TJ