View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cross Cut Force Patter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:33 pm 
Penguin

I like using the cross cut force. I think that when it is used correctly it can be very deceptive. One conversation that comes up all the time is the patter. I hear people say all the time when performing this force do not say "I'm going to mark the cut". I understand the reasoning here, you don't want to draw attention to the deck at its weakest moment.

That said, how do you justify why you are marking the cut. I'll share my reasons but I'm curious to hear yours :)

Post subject: Re: Cross Cut Force Patter
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:13 pm 
born to perform.

I would just cut the cards and not explain the action. just do it.

Alternatively, you really should just learn a better force!! There are many out there that are easy and don't require the "boldness" of the classic force.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:13 am 
Penguin

I'm not sure what you mean by not explain the action? What i picture when you say this is, "Cut the deck and let's see what you cut to" which doesn't work for this cut.

As far as better forces, there are other forces out there but very few are nearly self working and hands off. The only forces that live up to that description tend to be just a little more convoluted or sleight heavy. To cut the deck is a very natural action with cards.

I personally use the cut at the end of my ace cutting. My patter goes something like this "I've found 3 aces but this time I want you to cut to the next one. Go ahead and cut where ever you'd like. We'll come back to that (I "mark" the cut)but I want you to realize you have a disadvantage. When I cut the cards I had 4 aces I could have cut to but this gets a lot harder with only one. Even to get close would be an achievement. Let's see what you got? Just like I thought you didn't get an ace you cut to a seven. The decks helping you out here because seven cards away (count the cards) is the last ace"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:46 pm 
born to perform.

Sorry, I admit, I haven't used the cross-cut force often. I meant that, when I did use it, I would do the cut and place the cards on top. Then I would move on to explain some other part of the trick, and come back to the cards a minute or two later, and I would say something like, "and the card you cut to is..."

Does that explain it a bit more? I tend to put a lot more direction into something else going on with the trick, as it's easy to be caught with the cross-cut.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:06 pm 
Penguin

BalukMagic wrote:
Sorry, I admit, I haven't used the cross-cut force often. I meant that, when I did use it, I would do the cut and place the cards on top. Then I would move on to explain some other part of the trick, and come back to the cards a minute or two later, and I would say something like, "and the card you cut to is..."

Does that explain it a bit more? I tend to put a lot more direction into something else going on with the trick, as it's easy to be caught with the cross-cut.

Okay I understand :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:16 pm 
born to perform.

I like throwing in patter that has nothing to do with the effect at all. Bill Malone utilizes this quite a bit.

"Oh, those are lovely rings you are wearing. Do they come off?" ...Or, "That almost looks like real gold."

"Are you enjoying yourselves today? Well, we're going to put a stop to that right now."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:27 am 
born to perform.

Jamie D. Grant has a nice variation of the cross cut force. It's an in-the-hands variant (no table required). I have used it many times and it seems more deceptive...(imho). Jamie teaches his variation during one of his Magic Friday review videos Here. You will probably want to fast forward through the clip, as Jamie has a tendency to get off track from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:14 pm 
born to perform.

YES, Jamie does have a great method and tips. No table required and if one is at a table the method may be used in the hand or set on the table after the cut.