View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Biokinesis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 am 
Penguin

I want to use biokinesis for mind reading and I am not sure to pick black,red or white lens.
Can I have anyone's opinion?

Thanks,
Black Angel

Post subject: Re: Biokinesis
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:35 pm 
Penguin

I'm not crazy for this effect but I would choose the white for mind reading. That's just my tastes though

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 pm 
Penguin

These look like those colored contact lenses you can buy very cheaply in Mexico (and on the net I'm sure). Dateline did a story about them and how dangerous they are. It was a quality issue and people were getting eye infections. They also showed them being sold to kids with a hidden camera. I'm not a big fan of biological magic-- sticking dental floss in your eyelid and such.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 am 
Penguin

Am I missing something? You want to read minds with colored contacts or you want to look really strange when you read minds?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:19 pm 
Penguin

With the lens it is much more convincing to the audience that I am reading their mind.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 pm 
Penguin

It'd be an interesting approach at it, but do keep on mind that plenty of gifted "Psychics" have existed in recent years without colored contacts, and their showmanship alone was enough to convince the audience of their gifts.

Rolling your eyes to the back of your head, hold their wrist and sync your breathing, and reveal in sections, building up to the full reveal, building suspense.

But as for contacts, I think white seem the best.

Black would look demonic (or like you've lived in coloroado for a while...), which can effect some people's reactions, and red just seem to fake.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:42 am 
Penguin

Thanks. And by the way it is affect not effect. Also too fake not to fake.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:50 am 
Penguin

My bad, my typing and grammatical abilities are hindered after work, physical exhaustion does that sadly.

Anyways, I guess my point was that you'd want to focus on the presentation itself, not just a gimmick like contacts. They can help sell the effect (pretty sure that's the right one) better, but not alone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:02 pm 
Penguin

black_angel9000 wrote:
With the lens it is much more convincing to the audience that I am reading their mind.

Umm... No it isn't more convincing at all.
But if your presentation persona is that of a really strange looking person it would at least add to the entertainment value.
You are setting yourself up to look like a freak that reads minds. (I think Criss has that market captured.)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:03 pm 
Penguin

Changing my eye color will look quite cool.
For example,some magicians like to stare into spectator's eyes to look as if they are reading their mind.That would be a little awkward.However with different eye color,there will be a greater reaction.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:17 pm 
Penguin

Teller exposed a method for getting someone to pick the 3 of Spades by having a spectator gaze into his eyes. He had a contact with the 3 and the Spade symbol etched into it. Now that I think of it this may have been on the cover of one of the magic rags.

In a old Milborne Christopher book from the 1940s he did something similar. He'd take a small circle of colored paper and stick it to his eyelid. Then have a spectator gaze into his eyes and briefly close that eye while asking her to think of a color. It matched the prediction. He also glued bits of aluminum foil to his eyelids so when he blinked the foot lights would reflect the foil and his eyes would appear to sparkle.

To my knowledge nothing I've discussed here is a currently marketed effect. If it is I'll be happy to delete it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:02 pm 
Penguin

black_angel9000 wrote:
Changing my eye color will look quite cool.
For example,some magicians like to stare into spectator's eyes to look as if they are reading their mind.That would be a little awkward.However with different eye color,there will be a greater reaction.

The reaction would be "WOW, you changed your eye color", not "WOW you read my mind."

It all comes down to what you want your audience to believe. This is mental magic, not mentalism.

Sounds like a really cool trick for the 13 and under crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:31 am 
Penguin

What makes you so sure? Probably they will be double surprised,that I can change my eye color and read their mind. The audience don't think like us,magicians.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:00 pm 
Penguin

black_angel9000 wrote:
What makes you so sure? Probably they will be double surprised,that I can change my eye color and read their mind. The audience don't think like us,magicians.

I'm over the age of 12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:03 pm 
Penguin

Angel, many, MANY experienced mentalists will often tell you "less is more.", and they're not joking when they say this. You don't want your effect to have too much flair, because that hints off that there's a trick. Then again, maybe you just want to "wow" the spectators.

And to be fair, Mentalism and "Magic" are two entirely different concepts, and you shouldn't think of them in the same way (sorry if I stole your line Edrezin).

If you want to wow the spectators with a trick, feel free to use biokinesis, but all it will be is a trick to them.

If you want them to believe something impossible just happened, put more focus where it needs to be, on the mind reading.

You're definitely right that laymen don't think like magicians, but if you really want an effect to go over well, you have to relearn how to think like a laymen.

Just my $0.02