View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Physiognomy (Face Reading)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:10 am 
Penguin

Recently I came across a book labeled "Amazing Face Readings", which sounded taboo but the term "Face Reading" reminded me of Muscle Reading and Cold Reading, which I've heard many times on these forums and a few other places as well.

I've already bought the book, and it's rather interesting and pretty in depth. I was just curious as to if this technique, Face Reading, is unique to itself, or used in another form of reading.

Along with that, if anybody knows a bit about Physiognomy, I also wanted to know if you think this material is good enough for entertainment. I mean you can tell a stranger a lot about themselves just by looking at their face, so it seems very similar to what I've HEARD cold reading is, but due to my lack of experience I'm not entirely sure if Physiognomy is up to par with it.

Thank you for your time,
TJ

Post subject: Re: Physiognomy (Face Reading)
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:06 pm 
Penguin

I ran the word past Amazon.com and there is surprisingly quite a few books on the subject:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... hysiognomy

I don't recall ever hearing about the subject being applied to magic, maybe you could research the subject well enough to write a book. Magicians are always looking for new and novel material like this.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:12 pm 
Penguin

There's already a rather detailed book written;

Amazing Face Reading

Pretty in-depth, and teaches you quiet a bit. I don't think I'll have enough knowledge upon the subject to write a book soon, but I'd love to direct anybody to that book, as it's my best reference.

I like physiognomy because; 1) It's difficult to pronounce, so I feel smart. 2) The readings are entirely accurate, and they're traits thatre impossible to hide.

I'm not sure if this would be the next big thing in mentalism, but it can only benefit the preformer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:04 pm 
Penguin

'Face reading', to what I can find, is like palmreading... Coldreading in a shell.

If it's more about facial expression reading, the man you should read about is Paul Ekman. This guy specialized in facial expressions and facial muscle usage. However, his courses are expensive and mainly for FBI and such.
BTW, the show 'Lie to me' is based on Paul Ekman's research

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 pm 
Penguin

Physiognomy is based on the (seemingly) legitimate evidence that your personality and life experience are sketched by your face.

Things such as; People with a stuck out chin are confrontational, or high cheekbones are a sign that the person loves attention, slanted back forehead means they prefer proven methods over theories.

Most of this seems to be accurate, and to my (limited) knowledge, it seems like it's not exactly cold reading, but I haven't put in enough research to be confident in that claim. Maybe they're the same, maybe they can coincide.

Facial expression is somewhat mentioned in the book, but it's more about the structure of the face than anything.

Thank you for the reference, although I'm not sure if I'm motivated enough to take a course on reading facial expressions, I still have a lot of material to get down to expand in other fields as of now. Not to be rude, just trying to build a foundation for mentalism, hypnosis (I guess a sub-category of mentalism), and crooked gambling, so I have a lot to go over...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:56 am 
Penguin

I do not wish to offend, merely help you on your search to useful science instead of pseudo-science

Physiognomy has been called pseudo-science for a while now as there is no evidence that it works and there is evidence that there is no correlation to be found between characteristics of a person and his or her face. Psychologically however it is natural for a person to think that someone ugly is bad and someone pretty is good as pretty people have a better immunesystem in general and thus better for reproduction. Also, humans tend to find evidence they are looking for and ignore the counter evidence that is also lying in front of them. For instance, I know a person who has a stuck out chin which is very introverted and rather avoids confrontation and yes, i also know a person with a stuck out chin who is very confrontational.

Although there might be some truth in what a face says, but that's only because we treat people the way we think they are and people act the way they are treated. Walk towards someone and tell them they look ill and suddenly they feel a bit ill. Again a classic symptom of human behaviour which is used in cold reading a lot.

So I am saying that Physiognomy is B*llsh!t but what i'm not saying is that it isn't usefull in mentalism. Currently i'm using palmreading with great effect, even though palmreading is pseudoscience as well.

So if you wish to learn a skill which is useful for mentalism, try penreading, billetswitching, dual perspectives, musclereading and such.. If you're more focussed on the presentational part of mentalism, by all means, enjoy your reading on Physiognomy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:17 am 
Penguin

You didn't offend me at all quiet honestly, I've been wondering about the legitimacy of Face Reading and it's entertainment value, and I appreciate your honesty.

I'm trying to learn the art of mentalism, I need somebody to tell me something is BS if it really is, haha. Because the book's descriptions matched some people I actually know, I guess I started to believe it. Using it to look at my face however, I feel like I forced the connection to work, which seeing how sold I was, I think I learned a bit of a lesson about cold reading!

I'd rather not waste my time reading something if it's not reliable information, so I guess that's just one less book off my list.

Thank you for your input Phrenic, I appreciate it.