View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Getting a Mentalist Wallet for everyday usage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:09 am 
Penguin

So, as 2 things have occurred (1, i'm into mentalism ; 2, my current wallet is dead) i've decided to buy a mentalism wallet.

But are these wallets usable in normal day live as well? or are they for a trick and should i keep my real money somewhere else?
Currently i'm mainly performing magic for friends and family and so they know me, thus my props. So it's nice if they see my wallet and know it's really mine and not just some prop i need for the tricks.

so, which wallets could i get so that i can use them for everyday life?

Post subject: Re: Getting a Mentalist Wallet for everyday usage
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:45 am 
Penguin

Get yourself a REAL MAN'S WALLET, available from any magic dealer for $40. Maybe get yourself a copy of the CARD TO WALLET BOOK by Jerry Mentzer, it teaches you the secrets to dozens of gaffed wallets. With this knowledge you'll be able to take just about any kind of wallet and gaff it. I've found some really great and un-used wallets at Goodwill. If you f*** it up no biggie, you're out maybe $2.00. I use cloth tape around the edges of the gaffed slit. A little knowledge in leather crafting goes a long way too (think Youtube).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 am 
born to perform.

Fourseen Wallet has what you need. A ton of built-in mentalism, and can carry your money. It's kinda big though.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15303

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:53 pm 
Penguin

I have 4-5 wallets and use none of them. My personal favorite is the Stealth Assasin, but I get very little use of it. The only thing I do that even uses a wallet is my verson of Kollosal Killer. Which doesn't require

Why? Because there is no motivation to use a wallet in a mentalism effect.
I have heard and seen many attempts at creating patter that justifies the use of a wallet and they have all been rather flat.

I know the thread is asking for which one to use, my advice, don't use one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:51 pm 
Penguin

Once you learn how the various gaffed wallets work you'll be able to gaff many envelopes in the same way. I've used these in mentalism routines for a long time. Not something I invented, it was taught to me by an old gypsy carny worker who specialized in fleecing people.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:27 am 
Penguin

edrezin wrote:

I know the thread is asking for which one to use, my advice, don't use one.

What you seem to have missed is that i need a wallet, for mentalism or not... Mine is currently too damaged to trust with money..
And if I'm going to buy a wallet anyway, why not one that can be used in mentalism? Having options is always good, no matter how 'professional' one might be

The REAL MAN's wallet seems to be just for card-to-wallet.. which is a great and versatile effect and the size is correct (I don't like the wallet in breastpocket types) but i'm looking for something that has about 8 outs (I work a lot with multiple outs)

the Fourseen wallet seems to big for me.. or am I wrong?

Stealth wallet is very expensive... should someone who is buying a wallet for the first time, instantly get such an expensive one?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:12 pm 
Penguin

Stealth Assasin or Triple Threat are the two I have found to be good quality for everyday use.

(I never use them for effects, but if you want to have one that is my recommendation)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:44 am 
Penguin

I use the Triple Threat as my daily wallet - and don't do mentalism or cards... I was in the same situation where I needed a wallet and went with the Triple Threat. It has held up very well as my daily wallet for a year and a half so far. I really have not done any mentalism and on the rare occasion I do card to wallet I use the UCCU. So I don't know why I carry it now, except it is a good wallet :)

But I really don't care for the peek feature in the Triple Threat (and the instructions pretty much suck).

Only problem I have with it is I keep it overflowing with money ha ha

... not cause I'm rich... I moved to the Philippines and you just carry tons of pesos :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:22 am 
born to perform.

You know the Espionage Wallet ( http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14839 ) is pretty darn good. It is big, for a hip pocket style wallet, but still smaller than the Fourseen. It is made in England so it is wide to fit the wider currency. You get a full sized bill compartment. It uses the shogun principle (If you know what that is?) and in that compartment you get one of the peeks plus 6 slots for an index. It has two peeks, each in a zippered compartment. One of which is an SUC so you can both peek and double write from there. You can also use one of the zippered compartments for Card to wallet.

Still not as many features as the Fourseen would have but quite a bit for a hip pocket style wallet. I also have the Infinity which I liked a lot but the Espionage edges this one out overall.