View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hypnosis Inductions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:16 pm 
Penguin

I recently attempted to hypnotize somebody for the first time, luckily it was family so I didn't get too embarrassed.

The set-up was going great, the set pieces worked amazingly, he was laughing and amazed, so I figured it was a good idea to go on, so I tried the Eye-to-Hand Fixation Induction (as described by Anthony Jacquin in The Manchurian Approach), which was going swimmingly, until... I slapped his back to and told him to sleep.

Apparently the slap startled him, causing him to loose focus and messed everything up...

I understand this was a mistake, so the advice I'm looking for isn't "Don't slap the target", but I would very much so appreciate some input on a more proper method of an induction.

I have faith in the Handshake Induction and Eye-to-Hand Fixation, because I've seen them work, but I feel as if I'm lacking in the knowledge if how to pull off these stunts.

It took a bit to build up the confidence just to try it, being a taboo performance and all, but I'm surprisingly not shaken up about the failure, now I'm just more eager to learn, because I was very, very close to pulling it off the first time.

Any and all advice appreciated, and thank you very much for your time,

~TJ

Post subject: Re: Hypnosis Inductions
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:24 pm 
Penguin

The #1 problem you had was volunteer selection. You're family will never see you as an authority figure on hypnosis. This is a main requirment with instant inductions.

Try it on someone who sees you as a hypnotist and you will have amazing results.

Read everything you can from Ormond Mcgill, you have some knowledge but not a strong foundation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:58 pm 
Penguin

The Manchurian Approach, sounds like a good DVD, I'll have to look into it. My favorite book on hypnosis has always been 'Monsters and Magical Sticks', lots of food for thought.

Have you ever seen the original Manchurian Candidate movie from 1962? They used a magician's one way forcing deck (Queen of Diamonds) to induce hypnosis. This movie is so good I couldn't begin to do it justice with words. It was banned for decades after the Kennedy assassination. I won't spoil the ending in case you haven't seen, but you'll understand why.

Do not confuse the original Manchurian Candidate with the gawd-awful remake from a few years ago, which is usually in Walmart's $5 bin of movies they can't give away.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:53 pm 
Penguin

Edrezin; Is there a particular book you would suggest high than other to begin with? Such as his Breath Control book, the How-To, or the Techniques Manuel? Also, what about his DVDs? And finally; You mentioned the authority figure aspect is a problem for instant inductions, does that mean there's another way I can hypnotize a family member?.

Swayze; I'll look into the book and movie for sure. I'm not sure if I'd suggest the Manchurian Approach if you already have an in-depth idea of Hypnosis, because it doesn't really give you reasoning as to why you're doing something, and, from the little I know, it all seems kinda basic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 pm 
Penguin

Actually, I just caught this... Edrezin, you mentioned my problem was Volunteer selection?

That means no volunteers? I'm guessing it works better if I tell the people what I'm going to do?..

Like I bring up the topic, tell them what I'm typing to do, and proceed to do so?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:18 am 
Penguin

I've been looking for the book Reality is Plastic (the MA author's book) over on Amazon, no luck. I'll search Murphy's, maybe it's only available through magic dealers. I'm definitely going to buy his dvds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:27 am 
Penguin

Well, I've heard better things about The Tribly Connection if you care to look that up. It's a little more expensive, but should teach you everything the Manchurian Approach teaches and more, with the added bonus of watching somebody else learn, so you can learn from their mistakes that Anthony might've forgot to bring up

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:08 pm 
Penguin

cestdesconneries wrote:
Actually, I just caught this... Edrezin, you mentioned my problem was Volunteer selection?

That means no volunteers? I'm guessing it works better if I tell the people what I'm going to do?..

Like I bring up the topic, tell them what I'm typing to do, and proceed to do so?

Essentially, it comes down to something I call 'hypnotic confidence', which basically means that no matter what, you can deliver what you advertise. Your family, on some level, doesn't believe that. The perfect example of hypnotic confidence would be walking up to someone, stating you are an experienced hypnotist, and hypnotizing them. The hypnotist is so professional, that he leaves no room for doubt. Quite frankly, the possibility that you would fail to hypnotize someone is nonexistent.

As far as your induction, hand-to-eye is best for beginning hypnotists and those who are mildly to lightly suggestible because it gives them a more gradual time frame. If you have questions, PM me. I've been a hypnotist for several years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:55 pm 
Penguin

I believe I can work on the confidence part easily... I, stupidly now that I look back on it, used a word choice along the lines of "I wanna try something new, I haven't done it before but it seems fun, can I try to hypnotize you?"

So that opener is crumbled up, dipped in oil, lit aflame, and stomped out on a dusty road. From the hypnotism videos I've seen (can't wait to see it in person), the Hypnotist always does just as you said. Introduces himself confidently, and proceeds to do as promised.

Thank you for that advice, and I'm going to take you up on the PMing offer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:14 pm 
Penguin

cestdesconneries wrote:
I believe I can work on the confidence part easily... I, stupidly now that I look back on it, used a word choice along the lines of "I wanna try something new, I haven't done it before but it seems fun, can I try to hypnotize you?"

So that opener is crumbled up, dipped in oil, lit aflame, and stomped out on a dusty road. From the hypnotism videos I've seen (can't wait to see it in person), the Hypnotist always does just as you said. Introduces himself confidently, and proceeds to do as promised.

Thank you for that advice, and I'm going to take you up on the PMing offer.

You're right that was a very poor choice of words. The poorest choice being the word 'try.' Try implies one of two outcomes, success or failure. Right? You think to yourself, "it could turn out great, it could look great, feel great, work perfectly or... it might fail, I might lose out financially, I may look stupid, feel embarrassed.... well I'm not really sure which one it will be, so I'll just try it." Like dipping your toe in the water, you're limiting the amount of energy you put into the new situation in order to limit the down side.

So when you ask to hypnotize someone, don't ask if you can try it, because you're sending a very clear set of instructions to both them and yourself that it might not even work. Don't try, just do. Ask them if they would like to be hypnotized, and if you can have their permission, but always work from a frame of mind that you are in fact a hypnotist, and you can do it.

I never or rarely do hypnosis with family members, as others have pointed out they don't make for good subjects. A great deal of hypnosis has to do with the relationship between hypnotist and subject, and it's infinitely easier on someone who has no preconceived notions of who you are and what you're capable of.

Lastly, I never do instant inductions or shock inductions to a brand new subject, (although possible) its a thousand times easier to do an instant induction on someone who you have already brought in and out of trance before. In fact, I would say the magic number here is 6. After bringing someone in and out of trance 6 times, an instant induction should be fairly automatic as the subject already knows you can hypnotize them and already trusts you to do so. At that point I don't even have to touch them for instant induction, I just snap my fingers and say SLEEP in a deep but bold voice. (somewhat shocking) Also at this point I don't think it may work, I know that it will.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:53 pm 
Penguin

Thanks for that malfy, I appreciate your insight :)

It's been a bit since then (not crazy long, but still), and I've definitely worked on my confidence and choosing my words better, haha.

One thing I'm still not able to do, thanks to some sort of mental block, it go up to strangers too well with this in mind. I live in a somewhat small, antisocial town with almost nothing for people my age to do other than go to the movies... I'd like to work on that, so I guess if there's any pointers you can give me, I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking a Hookah Lounge might be my best bet. I haven't been to one, but it sounds like a relaxed environment where people tend to hang out and spend time. I can probably start with some effects, to help ease me into things, and move into hypnosis.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:03 pm 
Penguin

Do you know how to emulate insane confidence? Can you imagine you're insanely confident and wildly successful at hypnosis? Can you pretend that you're a world class hypnotist, and your methods can not fail?

If so, problem solved. If you can pretend you're the greatest hypnotist that ever lived, people won't be able to tell that it's not real. They'll believe whatever you pretend to believe.

It's the same as acting normal. It's just an act. How do you know you're normal? You've been rehearsing it; playing the role of "normal person" your whole life. So just change the act. Now you're a master hypnotist, it will work even if you're just pretending.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:16 pm 
Penguin

I'll pretend to be a Master Hypnotist after I put in a little more research. I only have one decent DVD to reference, but after I learn the science behind hypnotism, heck, I will be the greatest hypnotist to ever live :P