View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: street vs. stage
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:16 am 
Penguin

hey y'all!

im somewhat new to magic like they sell in Penguin(aside from those magic sets they sell at Wal-Mart)

anyways..

i was wondering if there is any advantages to doing stage or street magic. i already own some closeup magic.

i was thinking of starting of preforming at the school talent show or something like that and was wondering what stuff sohuld i learn ?

please pm me or add to this post.

Thanks,
Steve-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:53 am 
born to perform.

Location: In a Realm of the Night Realm in my mind on the Centuary Moons of Dracon
Do the talent show! People will start to reconize you as the 'magic guy'. The tricks you should do are

Dis Hank
Stealth Pen
Magic coloring book, always goes over well. :D

hope that gave you a few ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:41 am 
Penguin

thanx
it was very helpful but are the tricks good for begginers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:38 am 
born to perform.

Devilpup,

the instant download, Do as I Do, is a great card trick for a beginner, I picked it up within 20 minutes. I'm not sure how well it would look at a school assemply, it is more closeup magic. In my opinion worth knowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:54 am 
born to perform.

For a begginer i suggest...

20th century silks
Cut and Restored rope
Rope through body
even the Invisible Deck can work!

Any rope or silk tricks are kool for stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:54 pm 
born to perform.

the topic, Street versus stage, I have an opinion on.

I think street magic is more popular because it is cheaper than stage magic. I was looking at buying some stage magic,granted more elaborate than you get at Penguin, and some of the pieces went for as much as 40,000 dollars. I am talking Copperfield quality and type tricks. The average was between 5 and ten grand, but still way pricey, for a hobby.

If penguin sold plans to build some of these things yourself, they would get some money from me for those. I am all for slinging a hammer and shaking a saw to save a few grand.

That's why I thing street is more popular than elaborate stage. As far as intimate stage I like it, of course, I am a ham for attention :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:01 pm 
Penguin

Blaine made street magic populare. The kids who saw the show wanted to do just that. Some magic shops even has a "street section".

I enjoy stage magic more then street magic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:00 am 
Emperor Penguin

baronen wrote:
Blaine made street magic populare. The kids who saw the show wanted to do just that. Some magic shops even has a "street section".

I enjoy stage magic more then street magic.

In my opinion, Blaine took the magic from the stage, to the street. Or more importantly, to people that aren't expecting magic. That's where the best reactions come from.

The majority of people that get to see magic, are either watching it on a T.V. special, or pay money for tickets to a magic "show". Either way, they are expecting smoke and mirrors, camera tricks, and confederates. The most audience members that don't beleive in magic, the person randomly picked form the audience, was "randomly" picked from the audience. They still have this feeling in the back of their mind, "If I was there", or "If I was up closer to the stage".

Carnival magicians like Blaine, bring the magic up-close and personal. Where people have it in their mind, "I AM there", "I AM up close!", "That IS magic!".

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:01 pm 
Emperor Penguin

For me stage magic is much more enjoyable, and reliable to make a living off of. It is also more dependable. Most of the time when you perform stage magic for a paying audience, it is on your terms and schedule. Street magic can be very unpredictable and risky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:03 am 
born to perform.

wayno great post i agree with u on basicly all of that! i would have to say street is way better, firstly u can go on the streets any day any time and do some magic and hand out some business cards

u dont have a stage all the time to perform, i mean if u did or do then congrats to u (that rhymed :D )

but overall i deff have to agree with street, the reality and suprise of street magic is incredible

i mean its REAL right in front of ure eyes and spectators get AMAZED when they see these easy done tricks by us magicians and of course the hard ones too

this is imo but STREET ROCKS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:39 pm 
born to perform.

I am a close-up kinda guy. But Stage is great if you have big audiences.