View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: College (What To Expect?)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

Hello I am a Junior in a small High School and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on College and What it's like. I really want to have a career in math or something using computers. Maybe something as fun as magic :twisted: . Anyways, I HOPE I get accepted into UVA but if I don't I THINK I'll be able to get into VT. Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions on the
SAT
Extra Curricular
AP Classes
Class Rank
Essays
Volunteer Work! (MAGIC)!!!!
Internships/Carrers
Summers

I hope if I land a rest. magician job they will be impressed or if I volunteer somewhere! Any suggestions on where to go?

I hope most of you went to a big university and have some tips on campus life and how hard it is. I've got TONS of questions but not sure how many of you are gonna post. I'll edit if I see some activity.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:42 pm 
Penguin

i may not be as much of help because i'm a senior right now.. but i know that you should take a look at the princeton sat book for a good overview on the sats. it should help you a lot. it brought my own score 100 higher than before... or it might be coincidence that i looked at it lol. but volunteer work is always good. i heard colleges only look at volunteer work if you are on the borderline of being accepted though. i live in california so it might be different.. good luck on your future. oh yeah i also heard the ACTs were easier than the SATs because they test you on what you learn in class, not just math and english in general... and the new SATs will have essay sections (but there will one section cut out of it, and i forgot what it was.. i think it was analogies but i' not sure...grrrrrrr)

Post subject: Re: College (What To Expect?)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:12 pm 

SAT....do good on it.
Extra Curricular...get involved in things you enjoy.
AP Classes...uh, they are good I guess.
Class Rank...uh, who cares?
Essays...know how to write them, cuz you'll definately learn more in college.
Volunteer Work! (MAGIC)!!!! Nuf said.
Internships/Carrers...uh, I assume you meant "careers."
Summers...they're hot and sunny.

I hope if I land a rest. magician job they will be impressed or if I volunteer somewhere! Any suggestions on where to go?

An easy going, fun restaurant is the best. Not anywhere upscale, or even semi-upscale. Try places with a fun bar, fun atmosphere, relaxed setting.

College being hard or not is in the eye of the beholder. It all depends on you. I never felt college was difficult (I'm gonna graduate University of Colorado this semester). It's all about doing what your interested in, and putting effort into what your doing. College is like most other things, what you get out of it depends much on how much you put in.

Your questions, however, are vague at best...and for the most part unanswerable. If your going to ask people about college, it will help you to be more specific. Summers? What about em? Careers? AP Classes? What do you want to know. So far, you're really not asking anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:15 pm 
born to perform.

College to me was easier than high school, in the fact that I got to choose what classes I took, when I took them, and work at a pace I was comfortable with (meaning, some teachers will let you get ahead of the class, not the other way around.). Class rank, really doesn't exist unless you let it. When I was in college, the ones trying to be cool, are the ones who don't have direction. The one's with direction, and are there for an education don't care about "cool".

One thing I did like about college, was when you had that teacher that would let you do the whole semester worth of work in just a couple of weeks, and only show up for the final 8) That only happened in one class, intro to computers, wasn't that challenging.

All, in all, I felt like it was a good experience, and met a lot of great and different people.

good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:06 am 
born to perform.

Watch out for drugs and alcohol! They smacked me in the face when I went to college and it is very easy to accept them. Take the road less traveled and say no to drugs and alcohol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:38 pm 
born to perform.

im a junior to but i was talking to my cousin, he said its really good to do a bunch of extra stuff in high school, colleges like if you are involved :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:04 pm 
born to perform.

B_Magic wrote:
Your questions, however, are vague at best...and for the most part unanswerable. If your going to ask people about college, it will help you to be more specific. Summers? What about em? Careers? AP Classes? What do you want to know. So far, you're really not asking anything.

Well just common sense answer them, such as SUGGESTIONS on what do to in the summers instead of lying around, what career I could take in liking math or something using computers, what AP classes to take and if they are worth it. And didn't you have to WRITE an admission essay to get into college????? My sister is a graduate of CU, she was in Delta Gamma. She partied so much down there and skied a lot. I didn't think I needed any more specific info but I obviously did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 5:48 pm 

Careers in math with connections to business:

Actuarial Science:

http://www.beanactuary.com/
http://www.beanactuary.com/hs/preparing.cfm

Financial Engineering:

http://www.iafe.org
http://www.iafe.org/?id=academicprograms

The best general advice I can give (as a university professor) to any prospective university / college student: Read novels or books or do whatever else it takes to improve your English reading, writing, and comprehension skills.

Every year I see many university students suffer or fail because they are unable to communicate intelligently on paper or in the classroom. Good English communication skills can easily be the difference between grades of As and Bs or Cs and Ds at college, and that can mean the difference between getting the career you want or not. And yes, this is even the case in math related fields of study.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:12 pm 
born to perform.

immortaldusk wrote:
Watch out for drugs and alcohol! They smacked me in the face when I went to college and it is very easy to accept them. Take the road less traveled and say no to drugs and alcohol!

Good advise. I flunked out of my first college because I did not take it seriously enough and partied too much (a very expensive 15,000 party.) I graduated with honors at my second college when I matured some.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:14 pm 
Penguin

flip2005 wrote:
SAT
Extra Curricular
AP Classes
Class Rank
Essays
Volunteer Work! (MAGIC)!!!!
Internships/Carrers
Summers
!

Depends on where you are applying, but in general

SAT ... do well. One of the secrets to doing well is getting good rest the night before and DON'T PANIC. Brush up on things, but don't "cram" the night before, being rested, well fed, and alert will be best.

Extra curricular ... enough to show you are social, but not so much that you appear to over-extend.

AP Classes ... good if they're in the field you want to go into.

Class rank ... if it's not top handful (maybe up to 5) it won't count.

Essays ... fairly important. CHECK SPELLING AND GRAMMAR.

Volunteer work ... always a bonus, especially if related to your field. (Tutor math for other students if you want to go into math.)

Internships etc ... very helpful if you do well and work hard at them. If you have a tendency to blow it off and not show up, it's going to count against you. (You'd be amazed how many people think just having the internship, not doing well, is what counts.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:01 am 
Penguin

Kollage smollage ! Hoo neads it ? mickky dee's, now that's a karear ! Or jusst pitch et awl, due knot tel yer pearents , and joiwn the French Forind Leagun !

Just kidding. University is not too tough as long as you buckle down and study , or are smart enough so you do not have to 8) . Watch out for partying, loafing, etc. :evil: ! You'll do fine. By the way no one has talked about this yet but, if you mention Magic , be prepared to show the admissions counsellors a few very good tricks. It may even help in getting you in !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:54 am 

I've heard that some American colleges allow students to send in audition tapes to plead / support their case for admission. Sounds ready made for a magic performance :-)

Are these tape submissions common at American colleges and universities, or is it just a few Ivy league schools that have taken admissions this far?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:55 pm 
born to perform.

go to the images
then go to 2002,
then its the second from the top

(ps, it says it is an archive of viral e-mails, THESE ARE NOT VIRUSES)

http://www.boreme.com/bm/fr_by_type.htm

LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:03 pm 
born to perform.

What does this have to do with college?^^^

Dude stay away from alcohol....do your best on SAT's
and get active......A no active list will keep you from getting a spot if you have the same grades and stuff otherwise......
Oh and Don't skip class....No matter how horrible the class no matter how much fun your going to have or had the day before...DON'T SKIP CLASS

CK...How old were you when you finished the second time? Just curious...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:12 pm 
born to perform.

do what i said and youl see