View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:48 pm 
born to perform.

just do this, talk to him and say everything thats on this post now, if he doesnt believe you for some odd reason, print it a show it to him. Always show that you are honest and you love him. Dont ever lie. Tell him whats bothering you and do it in a nuetral way. Dont take sides, just explain it calmly and slowly. Dont make anyone the "bad guy" in this situation. Just be very sincere and "gentlemenly" (sp.) Do not do anything to try and break your bond. That would really suck if that happened.

My dad is really proud of me for starting another thing with the performing arts but, sometimes he takes it a little far. He doesnt understand how magic (the kind i do) isnt like going to see a play. its not something you want to annouce because that takes away some of the surprise and excitement. When we have people over, he always says something like, "Ryan, go do a show for us", or ,"Ryan, go do the one where the card is upside down from 5 to 4"(biddle trick). I mean, i know he really enjoys my magic, but he gets insulted very easily. He doesnt like to say it, but its very easy to read off his face and body. I dont know how to tell him not to do certain things like announce what trick to do, annouce im going to do magic etc. This may sound kinda pathetic, but you guys dont (obviously) know him as well as me. He just went through some problems with his parents and he has really changed lately. He has taken things very personally and gets irritated very quickly. Im not sure how to tell him these things and see him get sad and upset. I get guilty a lot... Sorry im making this post even more depressing. Thanks

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 6:18 am 
born to perform.

hold on, let me get this strait,
he was pissed at you cause you fd up on a trick?
i think the guy needs therapy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:46 am 
born to perform.

No, its because I stood up and left when he was commenting on my magic and giving me advices that I disagree with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:33 pm 
born to perform.

I can't ever argue with my dad or debate with him because i'v e been brought up by being beaten with a STICK if i was wrong, i was severely disciplined and just thinking about disagreeing with him is crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:30 pm 
born to perform.

yo ninja , i understand ur problem ,but since ur chinese, u should learn how to speak Chinese . Do u even know that some people will laugh at u behind ur back that u cant even speak ur native language and whats the point of being able to speak English really really well ?? i once overheard some people said that .......Glad i can speak and write well in my language

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:40 pm 
born to perform.

thats really sad man... i hope you and your dad can get back "together", if you know what i mean...

i know that i can't do anything for you...but if it's any help i'll Pray for you (i'm not being sarcastic) :)

things will work themselves out one way or another :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:51 pm 
born to perform.

I can speak chinese, I speak it everyday at home but just not very smooth. Sometimes i need to stop for a few seconds to think of the exact word i wanna use. When I perform in chinese, I just dont feel comfortable since I need to stop and think what I need to say next...and my responses are usually different, therefore most of the times, I cant prepare for what happens and the trick turns bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:30 am 
Penguin

Hey man, hope things work out with your dad. My dad and I had a bunch of issues this past summer, and after a few really long talks, we are kind of on the same side now. Give it time if nothing else.

And I know what you mean about parents and tricks. When I perform at school, or to strangers, other kids, I am totally different. My parents urge me to perform to relatives, but I hate doing it. My relatives aren't even fun to perform for.. I will do a trick, and it will be silent, just pressure on me. They always try to figure things out (they never do) but they are too "mature" in a sense.

To kids my age, it's alot easier.. and I am more relaxed. Sure I'm nervous, but I perform with confidence. I know exactly where you are coming from.

Also, with some tricks, patter is unnecessary. I have performed for some people who speak different languages. Take the ambitious card... its unexplainable, and inspectable. Patter can help a little, but it's not needed. Same with something like "here then there".

Oh well, good luck with your dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:48 am 
born to perform.

Ninjax wrote:
No, its because I stood up and left when he was commenting on my magic and giving me advices that I disagree with

AAAAH,
sorry man

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:48 pm 
Penguin

Walking out on your father when he's speaking is just disrespectful. I don't care what he was saying. You never walk out on your father. No matter what. If you don't respect your own father, what the edited is life all about? That's just selfish.

Post subject: Re: ...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:37 pm 

Marnoff_Mirlony wrote:
Walking out on your father when he's speaking is just disrespectful. I don't care what he was saying. You never walk out on your father. No matter what. If you don't respect your own father, what the edited is life all about? That's just selfish.

rather ironic coming from you. but true nonetheless. don't walk out on him, but dont let him push you over either. Stand your ground.