View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: JAPAN
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:28 pm 
born to perform.

hi all

can any users from japan please PM me, i have something to ask you

THANKS

tuscan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:00 pm 
born to perform.

PLEEEASE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:13 pm 
born to perform.

I dun think theres any Japs in this forum...just ask the question and we can try to help u...I know basic Japanese. Like all the characters, basic sentence structures and stuff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:49 pm 
Penguin

I'm sure you weren't trying to be racist...but using the word "japs" in reference to the Japanese, is highly racist, I can think of few worse things to call someone....pleace lay off the intentional OR non intentional insults...it'll only bring up things no one wants

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:13 pm 
born to perform.

Magic_Maji wrote:
I'm sure you weren't trying to be racist...but using the word "japs" in reference to the Japanese, is highly racist, I can think of few worse things to call someone....pleace lay off the intentional OR non intentional insults...it'll only bring up things no one wants

lol....thats not racist......it is just short for japanese.

such as jew is shot for jewish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:53 am 

At times it is glaringly obvious that some people on these forums are just so young and so inexperienced with life that they just don't realise how foolish they sound.

Japs is definitely perceived to be a racist slight by a significant number of people ... if you don't believe me, just do a quick google search for the words "japs" and "racist" together and you can research this for yourself.

This dates back to the use of the word as a derogatory label used for the Japanese in WWII.

The use of the word may not offend you, it may not offend me, but there are still alot of people living from WWII times who do find it offensive.

Instead of laughing at people you disagree with, listen with an open mind. Maybe they know something you don't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:49 am 
born to perform.

Or maybe people being so sensitive about racism is stupid.

Want to stop racism? Don't get offended by it.

You don't see me crying when someone calls me a cracker.

The only reason it exists is because people want something to complain and whine about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:15 am 
born to perform.

EGBauer wrote:
Or maybe people being so sensitive about racism is stupid.

Want to stop racism? Don't get offended by it.

You don't see me crying when someone calls me a cracker.

The only reason it exists is because people want something to complain and whine about.

Eg, your a good guy, and I enjoy seeing your posts, but racism is not here because people want something to complain about. Unfortunately, it is due to ignorant ideals and perceptions that one race is far superior to another, or all others. Now, being here in the south, I am subjected to interfacing with people with that attitude. I know it is everywhere, but I am using down here as an example.

Ignoring it doesn't get rid of it, if Martin Luther King Jr. had not gotten offended by racism, if JFK had not gotten offended by racism where would America be today. I am not intending this to be mean or condescending, but Balducci had hit the nail on the head.

I grew up with family members with that type of attitude, heck some of them still have it, and it is absolutely appauling. I speak up every chance I get, not because I want something to complain about, but because I am sick of having something to complain about. You try and use the "N" word freely and openly in public, and I guarantee you not everyone will ignore it. The problem with degrading names as those is that they are intended to make the person feel belittled.

I as a caucasion, would appreciate people leaving out any kind of racial slur, at least out of respect for our members of their perspective race. That would make everyone feel more welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:20 am 
born to perform.

I see your point completely. I came off a little harsh there.
And thanks for calling me a good guy, heh, but you're being a little too nice with that one ;)

Well, let me put it this way...

As far as discriminating against someone because of their race, I completely disagree with that. I think that's horrible. Like not giving someone a job because of their race or something.

However, as far as racial slurs go, I feel they're stupid. And if they aren't going to disappear, then I expect these double standards to go away. Of course they won't.

Sorry, I don't have sympathy for people who openly make fun of another race (Most black comedians) and then complain if they do the same back.

It's simply a matter of hypocracy, in my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:43 am 
born to perform.

EGBauer wrote:
And thanks for calling me a good guy, heh, but you're being a little too nice with that one ;)

As far as discriminating against someone because of their race, I completely disagree with that. I think that's horrible. Like not giving someone a job because of their race or something.

However, as far as racial slurs go, I feel they're stupid. And if they aren't going to disappear, then I expect these double standards to go away. Of course they won't.

Sorry, I don't have sympathy for people who openly make fun of another race (Most black comedians) and then complain if they do the same back.

I totally agree with what you just said. Every bit of it. I agree especially what you said about the comedians, that is a strange area on that subject for some reason. I am really just against it as done in condesending or hateful ways. But, I do understand what you were saying about being called a "cracker", that kind of stuff doesn't bother me.

Thanks for understanding I wasn't trying to flame you, and for not taking it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:51 am 
Penguin

allbritton wrote:
EGBauer wrote:

I totally agree with what you just said. Every bit of it. I agree especially what you said about the comedians, that is a strange area on that subject for some reason. I am really just against it as done in condesending or hateful ways. But, I do understand what you were saying about being called a "cracker", that kind of stuff doesn't bother me.

Thanks for understanding I wasn't trying to flame you, and for not taking it that way.

im with you guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:14 pm 
born to perform.

Can you all just shut up and can someone just please PM tuscan allready!
This whole topic is racist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:44 pm 
born to perform.

Sorry for starting all these arguements...I just wanna say that I'm so used to saying the short form and I'm not using it as a racist way. I mean, why would I learn Japanese when I don't like them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:57 am 
born to perform.

ok,
all i wanted to ask is what would it be like for a british person to move to japan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:56 am 
born to perform.

I don't know everything about japan but I know that there is quite a lot of british people in certain areas. Generally speaking, japanese people are pretty friendly towards other people and they are passionate to help others. Some younger people do know how to speak some english, so you can always ask for help.

As for the language itself. Japanese is fairly easy to learn compared to english. Many words sounds exactly the same as the english words. Like for example: tomato in japanese is surprisingly To-Ma-To, and computer in japanese is Kon-Pyu-Ta. I'm pretty sure that if u spend time learning the language, ull perfect it within like 3 to 5 years.