View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: JAPAN
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 983
Location: Scotland
hi all

can any users from japan please PM me, i have something to ask you

THANKS

tuscan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 983
Location: Scotland
PLEEEASE


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 596
Location: Toronto, Canada
I dun think theres any Japs in this forum...just ask the question and we can try to help u...I know basic Japanese. Like all the characters, basic sentence structures and stuff


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 05 Apr 2003
Posts: 187
I'm sure you weren't trying to be racist...but using the word "japs" in reference to the Japanese, is highly racist, I can think of few worse things to call someone....pleace lay off the intentional OR non intentional insults...it'll only bring up things no one wants


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 12 Sep 2002
Posts: 4472
Location: Brandon, FL
Magic_Maji wrote:
I'm sure you weren't trying to be racist...but using the word "japs" in reference to the Japanese, is highly racist, I can think of few worse things to call someone....pleace lay off the intentional OR non intentional insults...it'll only bring up things no one wants


lol....thats not racist......it is just short for japanese.

such as jew is shot for jewish.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Posts: 6302
Location: Neither here nor there.
At times it is glaringly obvious that some people on these forums are just so young and so inexperienced with life that they just don't realise how foolish they sound.

Japs is definitely perceived to be a racist slight by a significant number of people ... if you don't believe me, just do a quick google search for the words "japs" and "racist" together and you can research this for yourself.

This dates back to the use of the word as a derogatory label used for the Japanese in WWII.

The use of the word may not offend you, it may not offend me, but there are still alot of people living from WWII times who do find it offensive.

Instead of laughing at people you disagree with, listen with an open mind. Maybe they know something you don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:49 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Posts: 620
Or maybe people being so sensitive about racism is stupid.

Want to stop racism? Don't get offended by it.

You don't see me crying when someone calls me a cracker.

The only reason it exists is because people want something to complain and whine about.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:15 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 614
Location: geographic center of Alabama.
EGBauer wrote:
Or maybe people being so sensitive about racism is stupid.

Want to stop racism? Don't get offended by it.

You don't see me crying when someone calls me a cracker.

The only reason it exists is because people want something to complain and whine about.


Eg, your a good guy, and I enjoy seeing your posts, but racism is not here because people want something to complain about. Unfortunately, it is due to ignorant ideals and perceptions that one race is far superior to another, or all others. Now, being here in the south, I am subjected to interfacing with people with that attitude. I know it is everywhere, but I am using down here as an example.

Ignoring it doesn't get rid of it, if Martin Luther King Jr. had not gotten offended by racism, if JFK had not gotten offended by racism where would America be today. I am not intending this to be mean or condescending, but Balducci had hit the nail on the head.

I grew up with family members with that type of attitude, heck some of them still have it, and it is absolutely appauling. I speak up every chance I get, not because I want something to complain about, but because I am sick of having something to complain about. You try and use the "N" word freely and openly in public, and I guarantee you not everyone will ignore it. The problem with degrading names as those is that they are intended to make the person feel belittled.

I as a caucasion, would appreciate people leaving out any kind of racial slur, at least out of respect for our members of their perspective race. That would make everyone feel more welcome.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:20 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Jun 2003
Posts: 620
I see your point completely. I came off a little harsh there.
And thanks for calling me a good guy, heh, but you're being a little too nice with that one ;)

Well, let me put it this way...

As far as discriminating against someone because of their race, I completely disagree with that. I think that's horrible. Like not giving someone a job because of their race or something.

However, as far as racial slurs go, I feel they're stupid. And if they aren't going to disappear, then I expect these double standards to go away. Of course they won't.

Sorry, I don't have sympathy for people who openly make fun of another race (Most black comedians) and then complain if they do the same back.

It's simply a matter of hypocracy, in my mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:43 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 614
Location: geographic center of Alabama.
EGBauer wrote:
I see your point completely. I came off a little harsh there.
And thanks for calling me a good guy, heh, but you're being a little too nice with that one ;)

Well, let me put it this way...

As far as discriminating against someone because of their race, I completely disagree with that. I think that's horrible. Like not giving someone a job because of their race or something.

However, as far as racial slurs go, I feel they're stupid. And if they aren't going to disappear, then I expect these double standards to go away. Of course they won't.

Sorry, I don't have sympathy for people who openly make fun of another race (Most black comedians) and then complain if they do the same back.

It's simply a matter of hypocracy, in my mind.


I totally agree with what you just said. Every bit of it. I agree especially what you said about the comedians, that is a strange area on that subject for some reason. I am really just against it as done in condesending or hateful ways. But, I do understand what you were saying about being called a "cracker", that kind of stuff doesn't bother me.

Thanks for understanding I wasn't trying to flame you, and for not taking it that way.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:51 am 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 06 Jul 2003
Posts: 469
Location: Odessa TX
allbritton wrote:
EGBauer wrote:
I see your point completely. I came off a little harsh there.
And thanks for calling me a good guy, heh, but you're being a little too nice with that one ;)

Well, let me put it this way...

As far as discriminating against someone because of their race, I completely disagree with that. I think that's horrible. Like not giving someone a job because of their race or something.

However, as far as racial slurs go, I feel they're stupid. And if they aren't going to disappear, then I expect these double standards to go away. Of course they won't.

Sorry, I don't have sympathy for people who openly make fun of another race (Most black comedians) and then complain if they do the same back.

It's simply a matter of hypocracy, in my mind.


I totally agree with what you just said. Every bit of it. I agree especially what you said about the comedians, that is a strange area on that subject for some reason. I am really just against it as done in condesending or hateful ways. But, I do understand what you were saying about being called a "cracker", that kind of stuff doesn't bother me.

Thanks for understanding I wasn't trying to flame you, and for not taking it that way.



im with you guys.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:14 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 04 Dec 2003
Posts: 681
Can you all just shut up and can someone just please PM tuscan allready!
This whole topic is racist!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 596
Location: Toronto, Canada
Sorry for starting all these arguements...I just wanna say that I'm so used to saying the short form and I'm not using it as a racist way. I mean, why would I learn Japanese when I don't like them


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:57 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 02 Dec 2003
Posts: 983
Location: Scotland
ok,
all i wanted to ask is what would it be like for a british person to move to japan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:56 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 08 Dec 2003
Posts: 596
Location: Toronto, Canada
I don't know everything about japan but I know that there is quite a lot of british people in certain areas. Generally speaking, japanese people are pretty friendly towards other people and they are passionate to help others. Some younger people do know how to speak some english, so you can always ask for help.

As for the language itself. Japanese is fairly easy to learn compared to english. Many words sounds exactly the same as the english words. Like for example: tomato in japanese is surprisingly To-Ma-To, and computer in japanese is Kon-Pyu-Ta. I'm pretty sure that if u spend time learning the language, ull perfect it within like 3 to 5 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.