View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Becoming a Waiter before Table Hopping?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:25 pm 
Penguin

I’ve decided to get a job at a restaurant and table hop. But I was thinking it might be a good idea to work as a waiter at some restaurant, for a time, before going and getting a job doing magic at one. I would think that would help with walking up to tables, dealing with people, and getting used to the whole restaurant atmosphere. Has anyone been a waiter before they went and got their first job? Does it help? Any of you think it would be a good idea or not? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:12 pm 
born to perform.

Hi,

I started not so long ago in my father is restaurant/bar doing bartending and now as both a magician plus bartender. To be exact today was my first day doing magic for people there and I could not be happier I mean people were having a great time while I was performing. As for you I think that what you are saying is a very good idea but, know that you can start as both and when time pass by the manager may let you work as a magician only.

Good Luck!

Post subject: Re: Becoming a Waiter before Table Hopping?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:34 pm 

outlaw_247 wrote:
I’ve decided to get a job at a restaurant and table hop. But I was thinking it might be a good idea to work as a waiter at some restaurant, for a time, before going and getting a job doing magic at one. I would think that would help with walking up to tables, dealing with people, and getting used to the whole restaurant atmosphere. Has anyone been a waiter before they went and got their first job? Does it help? Any of you think it would be a good idea or not? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

No it does not help. I started as a restaurant magician in my 50's. I had never seen a restaurant magician before but talked to some local magi that had done it years ago and my magic teacher who was doing it (and still is.) They told me about things. I went out and got a job and started doing it. edited, made $45 restaurant fee and $60 in tips first night. Got ahold of some books from Mark Neilsen and Bruce Kalver and others and kept going back every Tuesday night. Within a few months the manager had talked to the other 4 local restaurants in the chain and I was doing it full time. My tips were up to $90 a week night and $125 a weekend night. Now it is almost 5 years after that first night. I make higher restaurant fees and my tips are a LOT higher every night.

At 50+ years old I was not about to try to be a waiter and it was not necessary to do that. Be a magician, a good magician. Be a showman, be just a nice guy. I flirt with the ladies and we all enjoy the flirting because it is just that, flirting. They know I am not trying to get in their panties so they are relaxed and enjoy the patter and the magic. To the kids I can be a "grandfatherly" figure and to the parents I am a humourous guy that laughs at myself and everything else.

That is what it take to be a restaurant magi, not being a former waiter.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:42 pm 
Penguin

I would not say it doesn't help. I have yet to work in a restaurant (only kids parties, daughters school etc) but intend to within six months. I would say that it is not necessary, especially if you have read some good books on restaurant magic (like Jim Pace's book)

However, I worked in a restaurant for ten years when I was younger and eight of those were as a waiter. I feel that this background will be an excellent help. I understand everyones job so as to not get in anyones way, I can read people a little better than most which would help me decide if the table is in the middle of something important and would not want to be interupted. I understand the business very well which will help me convince a manager how magic would help his establishment. But most important, I have approached thousands of tables to talk to them and take there order which will be a big boost to my confidence. The first time you approach a table will be nerve racking but it only gets easier as time goes on.

Most resaurants will not hire you as a waiter with no experience. You must first start off as busboy than maybe as a host or hostess, whatever the case may be. By the time you are a waiter, you could have read Jim Pace's book and have gotten hired as a restaurant magician.

I agree with Paddy...you dont need to be a waiter first, it would be of some benefit, but unnecessary.

just my two cents worth

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:25 am 
Penguin

I agree with [edited] on this one.

It can definitely be an asset. You are unlikely to be let go if you are a waiter, but if you are a magician when times are bad, that's the first thing to go.

Tips are fantastic.

PLUS, it's GREAT training for approaching people. I used to serve, and occasionally I would say "it's slow tonight let me show you something neat", and there you go.

Talking to strangers is an important part both jobs, and the additional training can't hurt.

In fact, get as much experience as you can dealing with people/strangers.

My wife is constantly amazed that I talk to, and have conversations with strangers no matter where I am. It's something she hasn't taught herself to do.

David.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:04 pm 
born to perform.

You could even do some tricks while you are waiting. The Tips could come in.

And maybe even the manager will move you from waiting to a magician.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:17 pm 
born to perform.

I started off cleaning tables at a restaurant, and I waited tables for some time. Now, my manager is going to let me do walkaround, but I told him I wanted to wait a month or so to prepare. I'm not saying that having a job helped, but waiting tables helps you when it comes to greeting strangers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 12:19 pm 
born to perform.

If you want to be a restaurant magician, be a restaurant magician. If you start off as a waiter or busboy, you may get stuck in that postion for awhile, depending on the management. Also, if you move beyond that into magic, there may be resentment towards you from the other employees who started their relationship with you as "equals" and you no longer have to do dirty work. This will not always be the case, but it is possible. I'd say go in as a restaurant magician. If they don't hire you when you ask about it, move on, there are plenty of restaurants. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:28 am 
Penguin

I'm not talking about going into one restaurant and being a waiter only to hope that the management let’s me do magic. What I am talking about is getting a job waiting tables to get the experience of working in a restaurant. For example...getting a job waiting tables, and as time goes by and that job is long past, I could have those skills when I decide to pick up table-hopping somewhere. If you ever notice, people that have jobs where they work with the "Public" seem to have better skills with being a people person. IMO anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 10:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

outlaw_247 wrote:
I'm not talking about going into one restaurant and being a waiter only to hope that the management let’s me do magic. What I am talking about is getting a job waiting tables to get the experience of working in a restaurant. For example...getting a job waiting tables, and as time goes by and that job is long past, I could have those skills when I decide to pick up table-hopping somewhere. If you ever notice, people that have jobs where they work with the "Public" seem to have better skills with being a people person. IMO anyways.

Though I'm not a paid restaurant magician, my jobs have always involved dealing with people. Either in sales, cable repair, computer technician, Broadband internet installer, retail management. All of those jobs have helped me in my being approachable, as well as my ability to approach strangers to perform. I would say gaining any sort of experience working professionally with people would definatly be an asset to any magician. More-so I suppose if you're into magic, and shy or anti-social. Though if you are the latter, perhaps magic isn't the best venue for you.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:05 am 
Penguin

I was shy when I started magic about a year and a half ago, but iI made myself overcome it, and now I'm perfectly fine dealing with people, if anything, magic can help shyness, but having an antisocial personality is a psychological thing, so, yeah, if you're antisocial then magic isnt for you.

Last edited by ZachRandolph on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Do I need to work as a waiter first?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:18 pm 
Penguin

I have been performing for 8 years as a restaurant magician, and I had no experience with waiting tables. The key to success is to read each person at the table and try to know what they want. I am a balloon artist and Magician which help tremendously. When the customer leaves with something in hand your more likely to get a good tip and leave a lasting impression. The things that will take you the longest is knowing what the table wants, and once you have that your on your way. In my opinion, its like anything else. You have to jump in and find your comfort spot. And the only way to do that would be to perform magic, not to act as a waiter. Let your common sense be your guide. Hope this helps.

Twisted Magic
Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:00 pm 

RIGHT ON Jay!! I've been doing the same for 15 years now. Full time doing magic and balloons in restaurants. My average stay at a restaurant is 6 years, so I must be doing something right, like you.

Paddy