View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:20 pm 
born to perform.

lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:19 pm 
born to perform.

Umm please could someone delete that?!? lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:19 am 
born to perform.

don't attack the audience, just RUN AWAY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:22 pm 
Penguin

I always say "Those who know don't tell and those who tell don't know!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:20 am 
Penguin

Just ignore the person. After doing 1,000s of kids parties, this is by far the best advice. Rarely an adult will say this, - even when I want them to say it for a routine to work! Always ignore behavior you dislike, and by not rewarding it you don't encourage it. It you respond, you are also directing not only your attention, but EVERYONE'S attention, to the person who claims they know how it is done. If you ignore them, then everyone else will as well. Take control of your presentations! Trust me, I am a full time magician working with all ages.

The only time this didn't work was when I was doing a family stage show and this kid (15y/o) would not shut up . . . He even came up to the stage to get attention. I calmly walked over and stepped on his fingers. The rest of the crowd clapped . . .*L* although I don't recommend this technique!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm 
Penguin

If you suspect that that person doesn't really know how to do it you could invite them onstage, introduce them as the great 'persons name'dini, for instance the great 'Katedini'. Put a 'magic' hat on them and let them do the trick. I have done this a couple times with little kids, It worked great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:58 pm 
Penguin

Yes, but that stops the rhythm of the show, and can make you look real bad, like you are picking on them (and you are). It also gets people into thinking "how did he do that?" instead of having a good time and experiencing the magic. When people left what were talking about - I bet it wasn't your great magic, but about how you handled the problem kid, or how the problem kid handled you. 99% of the time totally ignoring them stops the problem.

When I was new, and doing a birthday party and had a problem child, I would do a handcuff escape with real handcuffs. The "kid who knew everything" would say he knew how it was done. I would slap them on him and go on with the show. He was handcuffed in the back of the group, and couldn't grab anything, nor would he speak up - and it really solved the problem. I don't have that problem any more, but maybe it might help . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:13 pm 
born to perform.

Kacy I like your solution. Very inventive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 7:18 pm 
Penguin

Bring them up on stage and pull out the sponge balls...a couple disappearing sponge balls over their head and the audience will be laughing so hard AT THEM they will forget about you.

Pat

Post subject: "Let me examine that!"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:34 am 
Penguin

:oops: Im having problems when someone says let me examine that, and of course if i dont let them it looks REALLY POOR but obviously if i do then they'll see the secret! I'm not sure what i should do.. :(
Laurence[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 10:10 am 
Penguin

When that problem occurs with me, it is usually because I did a trick and not a routine. (A routine is a series of related tricks with no "gap" between them) The idea is to get them to think about the whole series of tricks instead of just one, blowing their minds and not letting them think about one piece, thus less chance of them getting too analytical. I also do not like using props that don't look like everyday items, because with everyday items the audience has presumptions that can work in your advantage. Of course, I don't like using gimmicks, unless it is incredible, and then it must be easily ditched. New magicians often rely too much on gimmicks because it is easier than slight of hand. When this happens, the audience seems to sense the magic rests in the prop and not you. Thus it is always good to do things that make you look amazing, not having amazing props. Don't treat the prop like it is anything special, or the audience will think there is something special.

Here are a couple examples of presentation or easy magic that go against what I just said, yet work very well. When I do one of these first, I rarely have anyone ask to handle the props later as long as I follow the rules above. I am being careful not to "Tip the hat" on the mechanics of these tricks, even though they are very common and explainations of how they are done are everywhere. If you have a questions, feel free to email me.

On the other hand, When something amazing is happening, I will tell the audience it is just an illusion. As an example with the popular needle through the balloon, I would say that it really does appear like the needle passes through the balloon, but it doesn't, it is just the power of suggestion. I even let them get real close, and they are amazed at how I can manipulate their perceptions. The audience wants to believe I am great and do "real" magic, I allow them to do so, and so, in their eyes I am. To another magician, I am just doing the needle through the balloon.

I do a ring and rope routine that has a cut and restore portion, only I don't use scissors. Leading up to it, I tell them the previous magic was done because I have a gimmick in the middle of the rope, and hand it out to be inspected. When they don't find it, I say that it if it was a good gimmick, it wouldn't be easy to see. I then do a cut and restore with my fingers. This blows them away every time because they know there is no gimmick BEFORE that portion of the routine is done. Occasionally they ask to examine it, but by then the real gimmick is in my pocket.

The new bill switch where you shake the bill and it changes also works well with this principle, where I do the switch, then claim it was the power of suggestion. I say the one dollar bill they gave me was never folded in front of them, but I just put it in my pocket. I was able to manipulate their perceptions (never control, people don't like being controlled, but manipulated is ok for some reason) into thinking it was their one that was folded, while it really was my fifty. I even sometimes do it twice, and they try to catch the switch ( at the totally wrong time) and are even more impressed. I live in the Bible Belt, and I have been seriously accused of being in league with the devil many times. *L*

Of course the is the silk from a real egg, where you use a black sticker to show them where the silk went, then peal off the sticker later to blow their minds. I use a wooden egg for close-up, with the "hole" maked in with a sharpie. Of course, I want it to be examined.

If you use gimmicked cards, you can use a "Z" wallet to hide them or a deck switcher. Better yet, develop some patter that lets you switch the gimmicks out, and don't let a person get a word in edgewise until you are clean.

I hope this helps.
Kacy

Last edited by Kacy on Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: "Let me examine that!"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:51 am 
Penguin

Hassonl wrote:
:oops: Im having problems when someone says let me examine that, and of course if i don't let them it looks REALLY POOR but obviously if i do then they'll see the secret! I'm not sure what i should do.. :(
Laurence
[/quote]

The best thing is prevention, as I have said in other posts. When it does happen, it really is amazing how well ignoring them works. If they persist, and are adults, then it becomes funny . . . When I sense someone is that type of person, I set them up with a trick and make it look like it is done one way, but really uses another. You can see the person itching to say they know how it is done . . . When they claim, or just think they know how it is done, I say "I wouldn't point any fingers (while pointing at them), but some people think I cheat" then display the prop to show I wasn't cheating in the way they thought (and everyone else thought). This will shut them down so they don't think they are foolish, again. I do this in a variety of ways, all the time.

You have to understand the psychology of people who do this. They are people who think they are smart, and want attention - just like magicians. I would be surprised if a magician wasn't like this before they started magic . . . It is important not to present a confrontational attitude, or an attitude of "I'm so smart, I'm going to trick you". Spend some time, if you can, getting to know them, and try to present your magic not as foolers, but as entertainment. This will work 95% of the time. The other things I mentioned work for the other 4.5% of the time, and in the last .5%, just ignore them will general work. When it doesn't, and it doesn't play off as funny, then bite the bullet and walk away. If it happens a lot, examine the routines that it happens in. Try to figure out why, then modify the routines or get rid of them.

Remember, performing magic regularly may be fun, but it isn't easy. Nor do trick cards and the ability to do the mechanics well make you a magician. You are a magician when your audience suspends reality for a moment and thinks you are magic. If not, you are just a clever trickster. This how David Blaine got national attention doing common, relatively easy magic. It was presentation, not tricks. For those who think that they are as good as David because they can perform his magic tricks, think again.

The offering will follow now that the preaching is done.

Post subject: I know how you did that
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:36 am 
Penguin

Don't remember where I read it, but-
Ask "Do you really thinkthat's how it works?", when they say yes, just smile (slightly) and say "Good." Then continue. (With something else, if they were right.)
As long as it isn't a confrontational tone, this has worked for me for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 1:07 am 
born to perform.

If someone tries says something like "I know how you did that" then I reply "Well then when you go home you can do the trick for your family and friends" It ecspecially works on kids shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:02 am 
born to perform.

When someone says I know how you did that I say "so do I." sort of a subtle way to tell them to be quiet.