View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:03 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for starting this thread ksalaz! Now I'm REALLY getting in to this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:08 am 
Penguin

EZrythm..... Holland started it, but thanks.

Anyone else out there have ideas for retaurant work and generating revenue for the restaurant? I have some more, but would love to hear any other ones.

KSalaz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:42 pm 
Penguin

My best suggestion for people wanting to get into the restaurant magic area is to be the best you can. Don't act dull, vapid and boring. Be energetic and convince them that you would be helping out their business. I know a little thing I did was get my public relations lady to get me an article in the local newspaper, advertising their business in the article (this is after you get the job). I got a raise right then. Call them, never write letters if trying to get a job. Gaurentee you you won't hear back if you write a letter. Phone conversations work best because if you go in yourself, they could be busy or not have the right person there at the time. Call them, set up a time to come in and wow them with 3 good effects. A taste so to speak, of what you'll be doing. This is all the initial job getting process. Any clarification furthermore needed, just ask me! Thanks guys!

Shane--

Post subject: Restaurant Walkaround
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:27 pm 
Penguin

ok i need help i need to know every thing about this i would like to get in to this but i need to know how many effects do i need and what do you think are the best for walking around i mean you cant care like alot of stuff with you. thankx plz help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:48 pm 
born to perform.

1 suggestion is browse through this forum this thread all threads in this forum it'll help and answer many of your questions

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:33 am 
Penguin

I work at a restaurant(Frantones) from 6-9 I get paid 25 a night. I go there wed,fri,and sat. I spoke to someone in the restaurant that knows someone else that is the owner of comcast cable company Today im going to go, so they can interview me and im going to do 5 mins of magic. I was wondering how can i ask the manager of frantones to get a raise seeing that i waill advertise his restaurant int the tv. By the way im 14 bu the owner thinks im 16, (he's paying me cash)

Thanks,
Wes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:45 pm 

wesmgc4life wrote:
I work at a restaurant(Frantones) from 6-9 I get paid 25 a night. I go there wed,fri,and sat. I spoke to someone in the restaurant that knows someone else that is the owner of comcast cable company Today im going to go, so they can interview me and im going to do 5 mins of magic. I was wondering how can i ask the manager of frantones to get a raise seeing that i waill advertise his restaurant int the tv. By the way im 14 bu the owner thinks im 16, (he's paying me cash)

Thanks,
Wes

First you are allready underpaid. For 3 hours you should get a MINIMUM of $50, (assuming you are in the mid west U.S.) if you're in a large metro area it should be closer to $100.

If the owner does not give you a raise I would not in any way mention his restaurant on air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 9:23 am 
Penguin

I know, But Im 14! isnt that good for 14? HE thinks im 16 though ( IM Tall) but i dont wanna push it, You know. You guys think I should ask the owner?

Im scared for a rejection and a fireing! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:22 am 
born to perform.

wesmgc4life wrote:
I know, But Im 14! isnt that good for 14? HE thinks im 16 though ( IM Tall) but i dont wanna push it, You know. You guys think I should ask the owner?

Im scared for a rejection and a fireing! :shock:

speeking of age. Im 13. when I turn 14 I want to start working at restrouts will people hire me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:16 am 
Penguin

I really want to get a job in a restaurant and I was wondering what kind of restaurant to aim for?
An expencive one were everyone seems to wear tuxes.
A big family place
A local pizza hut

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:10 am 

Ross1 wrote:
I really want to get a job in a restaurant and I was wondering what kind of restaurant to aim for?
An expencive one were everyone seems to wear tuxes.
A big family place
A local pizza hut

OK, I see that you have only 11 posts so far, but, before even thinking of doing restaurant magic ask yourself, "how god a magi am I?" If the answer is not "excellent," Don't even waste your time.

Restaurants are NOT a place to practice magic. You have to PERFORM magic and do it immpeccably. Without a mistake. If you are not an advanced to professional quality magi, don't do restaurants! You will ruin the business for those of us who are good and you will expose secrets.

We do not need people who do gimmicks and think they are magicians, so if this is your ability level, bye bye until you advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:36 pm 
Penguin

I would have to agree with Paddy here. You really need to practice your magic before you really get a paying gig. I am a part-time professional magician and I work a very upscale restaurant out by the beach. I cover for a magician friend of mine when he has a double booking. (I have a full-time profession working for an architect....the magic is just additional fun and additional income when I get it.) I could, of course, pursue more restaurant gigs, but family is first so I prefer to spend my free time with them.

Back on topic. I started doing magic when I was waiting tables at a local restaurant. I bought Scotch and Soda and did the trick when I dropped the check off at a table. My tips went up immediately! I gradually added additional effects when I could. This is how I built up my repetoire. If you are seriously interested in doing restaurant magic, here are a few tips and suggestions:

1. Make sure the effect packs small but plays big. As someone mentioned before, you have to carry all this stuff on you to do walk-around. Some people wear a small fanny pack that enables you to carry multiple decks of cards, a few packet tricks, a thumbtip or two, etc. I have streamlined my routines and now wear a jacket at the restaurant I perform in so I leave the pack at home and just carry stuff around in my pockets in the jacket. I can easily carry 3 decks of cards, a few packet tricks, sponge balls, thumb tips, a color-changing scarf, coins and a Raven.

2. Put together a routine. Don't just do a random set of tricks. Have some sort of storyline or patter or something that leads from one effect into the other. The effects should also build as you go.

3. Do something very visual when you first approach a table. I tend to greet tables with a large red silk scarf in my hand. I very politely say "Excuse me, but I just got here and found this beautiful red silk scarf and wondered if any of the ladies at the table had dropped it." Of course, they always so no, so I immediately change the color of the scarf to blue and ask the question again. This always gets a great reaction and really warms the people up. I then introduce myself as the house magician and inquire as to how their visit has been so far. I will only then proceed to ask if they would like to see more magic...which they always do.

4. Do a few effects and then move on. Don't perform every single trick you own just because a table reacts well. There are many other guests at the restaurant that deserve to see you as well. Do a short routine after your introduction, finish the routine, thank the guests and tell them you hope to see them again and then move on. It is far better to leave the guests wanting more than to wear out a welcome. If they want more, they are more likely to come back to the restaurant to see you again. This is good for both you and the restaurant.

5. Be polite!
This can't be stressed enough! Always maintain the utmost of professionalism - even if someone at a table is being rude. Nothing will get you fired faster than an irate guest that tells a manager how you swore at them or got into a major argument and ruined their dinner experience. I think you get the idea. Just always keep it professional. Bottom line.

6. Don't encourage the heckler. Now some magicians will disagree with me on this one, but I know many who follow this same guideline...if you have someone that is really being obnoxious, insulting, turning over or grabbing cards from you, or a number of other uncalled for disruptions, calmly say thank you to the table and move on. Pick up your things and head to another table. This comes from experience. Its just not worth it folks! Some will tell you that handling a heckler or really fooling him makes you a better magician. Baloney. It just makes you "feel" like a better magician because you "pulled one over on him." Sorry, but that's not why I do magic. I do magic to make people smile, laugh and really enjoy themselves. If one person doesn't want to be happy, then fine. The rest can enjoy the magic. If, however, that grumpy or heckling person becomes disruptive and doesn't allow me to entertain the others, then I will simply pack up and leave. Believe me, I've tried the other way and I still feel like something wasn't right...even after convincing the heckler that I could do something he didn't know about. Feel free to disagree...this is just personal preference.

Anyway, these are just a few of the suggestions I came up with after doing table-side magic for approximately 10 years now. Feel free to reply or PM me if you have any specific questions or thoughts about what I've mentioned.

Oh, a couple other suggestions for those of you trying to break into the restaurant field...your tips and amount of pay will be reflective of the type of environment you are in. I'll explain......Pizza Hut = small wage, low tips (in my experience) Upscale restaurant where people dress nicely = higher wage, big tips (also based on experience.)

This is of course a generalization, but you get the idea. Typically people that have a lot of money and go to upscale or fancy restaurants tend to tip a house performer much better than the family with kids out for a quick bite at McD's or a Bennigans restaurant. I'm not trying to be discriminatory by any means...I'm just saying what I've seen typically happen. So, with those ideas in mind..you can select the kind of restaurant you want to work in and then proceed accordingly. Of course, if you are going to work in a fancy restaurant, YOU yourself need to look the part and also have the skill level to match. You can't be a newbie with a couple half-decent packet tricks and expect to work a nice restaurant. You need to really practice, work out routines, perform a lot for the experience and really get comfortable with your material so it is second nature for you. Seriously, practice for friends, family, anyone who will watch.

Well, I've gone on enough for now. If anyone is still reading...thanks! And I hope something I've said will be helpful.

Take care,

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:45 pm 
Penguin

Great post, Dave. Lots of valuable information there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:01 am 
Penguin

xXrookieXx wrote:
Holland,do u perform Mind Bender and if so does it get good reactions.I Know it does for me.Just wondering? :roll:

watch out with mind bender. test the spoons first. thats what i do. i found good restaurants use tough spoons making it hard for my type of mind bend which never lkeaves infront of u.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:59 pm 
born to perform.

wesmgc4life wrote:

Thanks,
Wes

If you live in the US be carefull because legally you shouldn't be working without a permit unatil your 18 and so unless someone asks you don't mention your age and don't lie. If they do ask you just say you didn't know and ask if you can work something out so that they get permission from your parents or something. If you know your boss really well and you think you are a valuable asset to him I would tell him the truth from now especially if he is going to be recommending you to others. Then agian I don't know your area or the restaurant you work at, it might be more laid back. Just be careful.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next