View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:22 am 

AAWWFF wrote:
wesmgc4life wrote:
... By the way im 14 bu the owner thinks im 16, (he's paying me cash)
Thanks,
Wes

If you live in the US be carefull because legally you shouldn't be working without a permit unatil your 18 and so unless someone asks you don't mention your age and don't lie. ....

That varies from state to state and actually from city to city within a state, but it really doesn't apply. Wes is a self employed contractor, contracting to do magic for the restaurant. As such the child labour laws may not apply to him, again, depending on where he lives. Check with your local unemployment office, they have all the labour laws and can give you advice.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:35 pm 
born to perform.

wesmgc4life wrote:
I know, But Im 14! isnt that good for 14? HE thinks im 16 though ( IM Tall) but i dont wanna push it, You know. You guys think I should ask the owner?

Im scared for a rejection and a fireing! :shock:

One thing, don't EVER lie for ANY job. It will bite you hard back in the butt if you do. Maybe not now, but in the future it will. Alot worse than being rejected or fired could happen, trust me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:45 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks paddy, i always wondered about that but wasn't sure. Also do you need a special license or something to perform magic in front of a public audience like on a stage or something because I went for a talent fair once when i was younger and I had some pyro tricks and I was going to do some scaling but they said I couldn't do any of those tricks unless I had a performers license or something because it was a safety hazard. Is there such thing and if there is, is there a similar license needed for performing in a restaurant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:12 pm 
born to perform.

Holland...What is your routine??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:57 pm 
Penguin

Ya,Holland, where'd you go?
I was also wondering about your routine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:12 am 

AAWWFF wrote:
Thanks paddy, i always wondered about that but wasn't sure. Also do you need a special license or something to perform magic in front of a public audience like on a stage or something because I went for a talent fair once when i was younger and I had some pyro tricks and I was going to do some scaling but they said I couldn't do any of those tricks unless I had a performers license or something because it was a safety hazard. Is there such thing and if there is, is there a similar license needed for performing in a restaurant?

A performers license or performers insurance? I think they were referring to performers insurance. This is not required in any restaurant I have worked in, however, to be without it is incredibly stupid!!! I have $3 million worth of performers liability insurance that I pay $180 a year for. IBM has a $2 million policy that is based on your income from magic. Their rates start at $111 a yr if your gross receipts are less than $25,000 a year but at my income level the cost is higher than $180.

Also the IBM policy excludes "pyrotechnics (flashpots covered up to $5000 max.) flashpaper is acceptable."

Insurance in this litigous society is required or you, or your parents, can lose your home, car, everything you own.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:16 pm 
born to perform.

Addowner posted a really helpful post on page 2. Cheers to dave! :D It was beutiful. :cry: J/K. Just want to let you know that I really appreciated the help. I even printed it out for future reference! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:50 pm 
Penguin

LordLanceIII wrote:
Addowner posted a really helpful post on page 2. Cheers to dave! :D It was beutiful. :cry: J/K. Just want to let you know that I really appreciated the help. I even printed it out for future reference! :wink:

Thanks, LordLanceIII (and also Jeff with his follow up post right after mine!) I appreciate the comments and I'm glad the information was helpful!

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:46 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
My best suggestion for people wanting to get into the restaurant magic area is to be the best you can. Don't act dull, vapid and boring. Be energetic and convince them that you would be helping out their business. I know a little thing I did was get my public relations lady to get me an article in the local newspaper, advertising their business in the article (this is after you get the job). I got a raise right then. Call them, never write letters if trying to get a job. Gaurentee you you won't hear back if you write a letter. Phone conversations work best because if you go in yourself, they could be busy or not have the right person there at the time. Call them, set up a time to come in and wow them with 3 good effects. A taste so to speak, of what you'll be doing. This is all the initial job getting process. Any clarification furthermore needed, just ask me! Thanks guys!

Shane--

Ok, Shane, Thanks alot for starting this topic. What 3 tricks would you do here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:31 pm 
Penguin

Paddy, how much do you charge at a restruant, I just want to get a feel for how much the Pros make (you said you work full time, I'm assuming your a Pro)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:09 am 

esylvan wrote:
Paddy, how much do you charge at a restruant, I just want to get a feel for how much the Pros make (you said you work full time, I'm assuming your a Pro)

Yes I am, I have six restaurants a week I work at. The charges depend on where you live. In New Youk City you can get $75 to 100 an hour! Most people I know there charge $100 for a 2 hour gig plus tips. Here in Cincinnati I know some who tried to charge $35 to 40 an hour for restaurants. They still have their day jobs. I charge $50 a gig plus tips and my tips run between $30 to 50 per hour, depending on the day. (Mondays being BAD!!! and Fri and Sat nites being GREAT!!!)

The funny thing is that in Los Angeles and other places on the left coast it is hard to get a job for anything but TIPS ONLY. I refuse to work for tips only. The reason is because every kid and intermediate magi goes out and tells the restaurant they will work for tips only, so real magicians are caught and can't charge on an hourly basis there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:54 am 
Penguin

I'm 15 and I've been practicing close up magic for years. I've been doing magic for 4 years, and am at the stage, were I don't need to buy a lot of the stuff on Penguin, because I have just figured it out. I live in a suberb just outside Chicago. I am going around to different restraunts to offer my serves, two questions. Is $30-$35 an hour good to charge (I know paddy, charge what your worth, I first want to get an idea what the field is worth so I can judge myself). Two, how long should my free audtion night be? Thanks.

P.S. EDITED

ask question in P.O forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:16 am 
Penguin

"(Mondays being BAD!!! and Fri and Sat nites being GREAT!!!)"

Oh my gosh! Paddy has made yet another mistake, depite the fact that he criticises others for making mistakes, and I mean really he's supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL.

(nites is spelt nights, surely he should know this - sheer ingnorance...what's gone wrong?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:13 pm 

stumpy240 wrote:
"(Mondays being BAD!!! and Fri and Sat nites being GREAT!!!)"

Oh my gosh! Paddy has made yet another mistake, depite the fact that he criticises others for making mistakes, and I mean really he's supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL.

(nites is spelt nights, surely he should know this - sheer ingnorance...what's gone wrong?)

WRONG AGAIN!!! "Nites" is an acceptable form of "nights," it is not, however, acceptable for "knights."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:00 pm 
Penguin

Why do you guys argue so much? Paddy you seem to have the whole restraunt thing worked out, I have a couple questions. How do YOU go about getting a job at a restraunt (telling them your rate, if you give an audition night, etc.)? What kind of tricks do YOU preform? Thanks.

-Gideon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next